Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not much improvement on high iso performance for K3 make me feel it is not a worthwhile upgrade for me with K5 and K5IIs. If not going FF, I hope K3II have great high iso performance, but I haven't see any SONY APSC camera use any new great high iso sensor, so unfortunately will not have improvement in that department... in K3II.

10-30-2014, 05:20 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
+1

I'm not a fan of dual SD card slots either. I see no point tbh.
You will see the point if an SD card fails as it did with me.
11-16-2014, 06:12 AM   #48

Original Poster
Something great that would open the huge market of the video maker is to give us a real pro video mode.
Canon is affraid to down their professional cam sellings by giving DLSR with pro video mode, Pentax don't have this problem !
Today most of the pro are using 5D for video, none are using Pentax, let's change that !
11-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AlessioOo Quote
Something great that would open the huge market of the video maker is to give us a real pro video mode.
Canon is affraid to down their professional cam sellings by giving DLSR with pro video mode, Pentax don't have this problem !
Today most of the pro are using 5D for video, none are using Pentax, let's change that !
Oh no. Not another let's have more video on Pentax cameras post. This has been talked to death.

11-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Oh no. Not another let's have more video on Pentax cameras post. This has been talked to death.
Maybe should you read this thread again : it haven't been talked to death...

Yesterday old-fashionned photographer used to cry against digital photography. They're still crying...

Today old-fashionned photographer are crying against video on their DLSR because they never used it. Tomorow they will cry when they'll realise that having good video mode for a DLSR is the only way to survive for a trademark
11-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AlessioOo Quote
Maybe should you read this thread again : it haven't been talked to death...
It has indeed been discussed to death. Not in this particular thread, but all over the rest of PentaxForums. Even in the full frame thread, about a non-existent camera.

Do a browse around, or search.
11-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #52

Original Poster
So it's time for this thread to lose its virginity about video discussion
11-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #53
PT1
Forum Member

"Murphy was an optimist"

Focus peaking in video. But please add this to the K-3 first! -- The higher the visibility of the effect, the better?

Continuous auto focus in video (no button pushing to refocus, and backwards and forwards searching)

Better video stabilisation (like Canon,
, Canon develops Hybrid image stabilization system: Digital Photography Review )

-- I wonder whether the K-3 could stabilise video better with a firmware update to use the sensor shift? (maybe with an add-on gyroscope sensor accessory?)

Video recording duration only limited by the memory and battery available.

Internal GPS and WiFi.

Option to write video to both SD cards? (for a backup, created real-time, or automatically copied after saving to the first card)

Move the Raw/Fx button to somewhere less easily knocked? (I had mine set to turn shake reduction on and off, so I could turn off SR if using a tripod.) I found this summer that I'd accidentally knocked the button without realising it (and I don't use a tripod!) Fortunately there were only a couple of photos which were affected by the SR being turned off.

p.s. my previous camera was a bridge camera. You couldn't crop at all, the pictures were that horrible from the tiny sensor.

Last edited by PT1; 11-20-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Added firmware update to use the sensor shift?
11-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I don't have a K-3 (yet) but this is what I would change:
- 20MP sensor with more balanced performance. Compared to previous-gen (K-5) they sacrificed noise and DR a bit in order to go for higher pixel pitch
- Built-in WiFi
- Built-in GPS
- Further improve the AF system with more points and a wider area
- Modernize the flash system, at least 1/250 sync speed and at least try to catch up with Canikon
- Put the metering mode control back on the body, a la K-5
- Uncripple the lens mount so I can use my old lenses without the green button dance
- Improve the overlay system in the viewfinder and improve the contrast and brightness of the info display in the viewfinder
- Offer a focusing screen that actually works well for manual focusing
- Modernize the lens lineup with DC motors and fill in the gaps in the lineup (not a K-3 specific thing, but sorely needed)

What I don't want:
- Video features, leave them out, I don't use them (make a separate model with good video features for those that need it)
- Articulating screen (adds cost and complexity, something to get broken easily)
11-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
What I don't want:
- Video features, leave them out, I don't use them (make a separate model with good video features for those that need it)
Couldn't agree more. To quote "Jack of all trades, Master of none"

Use the resources to improve the still performance + will lower the price. No money wasted on providing inferior video no one uses.

If you want video buy a dedicated Camcorder, even a low budget one will better the K-3.
11-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
For me, I'd rather have dual memory card slots, because like Murphy's law: eventually one memory card WILL one day say "You know what? F*ck you, I'm going to totally ruin your day today."
Although I am not totally against dual card slots (perhaps it does not take up too much space); you do realize that the other SD card slot is in the battery grip. So, for the serious photographers, they often use the battery grip. For casual shooting, I would rather carry an extra SD card.... if the one in the camera fails, I switch to another card.
11-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I don't have a K-3 (yet) but this is what I would change:
- 20MP sensor with more balanced performance. Compared to previous-gen (K-5) they sacrificed noise and DR a bit in order to go for higher pixel pitch
- Built-in WiFi
- Built-in GPS
- Further improve the AF system with more points and a wider area
- Modernize the flash system, at least 1/250 sync speed and at least try to catch up with Canikon
- Put the metering mode control back on the body, a la K-5
- Uncripple the lens mount so I can use my old lenses without the green button dance
- Improve the overlay system in the viewfinder and improve the contrast and brightness of the info display in the viewfinder
- Offer a focusing screen that actually works well for manual focusing
- Modernize the lens lineup with DC motors and fill in the gaps in the lineup (not a K-3 specific thing, but sorely needed)

What I don't want:
- Articulating screen (adds cost and complexity, something to get broken easily)
That's always the issue, we want this but not that...

Me doesn't really care of wifi or improved view finder for manual focus. I don't want more AF focus point, maybe just a little more spread... Still not key to me. GPS I don't give a sh... and flash I have the impression that when you really want high speed flash, you buy a flash capable to go past the limitation. 1/250 vs 1/180 is 1/2 ev difference not like if it was 1/500...

I would care of a good articulated screen and woult be interested if the video mode had no max record time.

But what I'd want most is FA ltd quality lens (without need for DC motor to make it bigger) for some real APSC wide angle... A DA 15 or DA21/but of FA77 level of quality.

Different persons, different needs, difficult to please everybody in particular if you want others peoples feature to not be implemented.because you are not interrrested yourself! Usually flagship do the contrary: they try to get everything so each own user specific case is covered.
11-30-2014, 05:21 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
you do realize that the other SD card slot is in the battery grip.
No, if you are refering to the current K-3 both SD card slots are in the camera.
11-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #59
Veteran Member

There is a spare SD card holder in the grip, if you are using the Li-ion battery holder. But it has no connection to the camera, you have to swap cards manually.
11-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stumpy Quote
No, if you are refering to the current K-3 both SD card slots are in the camera.
I mean another SD slot if you are using a battery grip.... what I was going to suggest that, the extra slot is good when you are not using grip, but most pros use grip, the second slot becomes redundant (as there will be 3 SD slots).