Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

How could be the Pentax K3-II

How could be the Pentax K3-II or K3s ? Let's dream a little bit

What could be the 3 or 4 points you'd like to see in the next Pentax top APS-C camera ? (except a full frame sensor)

What are the three or four most fantastic points of the current K3 compared to K5-IIs (I know there's a lot because it's such a good cam, but please elect few of them )

What are the 3 or 4 points that you have disappointed on the K3 ?

For me :

Dream :
1 - Real possibilities in video (continuous AF, more manual settings and audio controls)
2 - Better flash mode with high speed syncho
3 - Wifi inclued (no card) for tethering
4 - GPS inclued for astro photo and localisation : not an expensive accessorie

Best things :
1 - Prime III is really faster then K5
1 - Multi white balance
2 - 2 cards slots
4 - AA filter simulator

Don't like :
1 - video mode can't be used for professionnal purpose as we can find in Canikon DLSR (but it's better then the K5)
2 - 80 ISO : where are you ?
3 - Price

PS : sorry for my inglish, it's not my nativ language... I will probably edit this post soon

RAWR :
None of these would make me trade up from my existing K-3, but they would be nice improvements:

- Fix all reported K-3 bugs (mirror flop, flash delay, various camera freezes)
- Flippy screen
- WiFi built-in (not something I use, but people like it)
- Bring back the direct exposure metering mode switch of the K-5
- More AF points, more widely spread (D7100/7DII style)
- Further tweaks and refinements to the algorithms for autofocus (tracking etc)
- Make face detection in viewfinder shooting work for AF (it already seems to record that faces were found in the EXIF, but it doesn't seem to make a difference to AF)
- Video improvements (people seem to always want better video)
- Enable a grid display in the viewfinder, not just the rear LCD
- Include a USB3 cable in the box with the camera!

ROBA-OZ
:
The improvements I'd like to see on the next version of the K-3 are:
  1. tethering by cable to all smart phones and tablets, as well as laptops (the Pentax FLUcard is OK, but limited, especially in speed);
  2. internal GPS; and
  3. continued improvements in AF, flash and video.
The K-3 has made great improvements in processing speed over the K-5 (I can't say about the K-5II, as I don't own one) and, it appears to me, in AF speed and accuracy even though I haven't made any objective tests to verify that. The dual SD card slots have been a blessing for me on two occasions now, when I had a fault on two cards (Kingston and SanDisk). Those who haven't had this issue when working in valued or valuable situations won't realise what a bonus this feature is

RON-HENDRIKS 1966 :
- Maybe going down to 20 megapixel would improve on overal IQ and especially on hi iso. It is a great camera, but the pixeldensity of the 24 megapixels on aps-c is not wise. So either go down in pixelamount or go up in sensorsize (even a small aps-h would be great, pixels of the K-5 are 4,75microm and 24 megapixel fit on 28,5x19mm sensor).

- Better flashsync would be great. Making groups would be great.

- I don't think the PRIME III is holding the camera down in speed (aldo with lenscorrections on the jpg's are slowing down), but the speed to write to the card is somewhere in the system limited. This could be just some minor thing in the electronic hiway. I would like that to be improved, so that we get a faster camera.

- Having the choice between 14-bit RAW and 12-bit RAW would be great. For sports I would choose 12-bit RAW to have a much faster camera. Files would be much smaller.

and :
I was thinking about the AF-module:

- so I would like some more AF points. We now have 5x5 with two outerpoints. I gues making this 6x7 with on the outersites two on echt side makes up to 46 AF points with a larger side covered. Also a little more wide then high in space. Making 42 of them crosspoints would be great.
- we now have three AF points that are sensitive to f2.8. I would like to make that a boxx in the middle of 3x2 AF points so up to 6 AF points.
- we don't have AF points that are sensitive up to f4 (all others are f5.6). But we do have some pretty good lenses like 60-250mm/f4 and 300mm/f4. So I would like to upgrade some AF points to f4 sensitivity. How many? Well maybe the box in the middle, but I prefer more then that. I think that all AF would have that future.
- some arrays to move arround with the new AF points to select and I think this is a great new AF module.

DOUNDOUBA :

For my taste:
  • Tilting rear LCD.
  • Hybrid viewfinder with (for instance) focus peaking info overlaid on the optical image.
  • A few color options that are not limited runs with price premiums on them.
Personally, I think they could implement the first two, call that a K-3z, and sell it alongside the K-3 for maybe $250 more than the K-3 itself. And I'd buy such a K-3z (in silver) in maybe a heartbeat or two.

WINDER :

I want them to keep the 24MP since you really don't have to worry about color moire at that resolution. I would like to see a BSI sensor like the new Samsung.
Better color depth
Lower noise
Faster image processing

UHS-II support
WiFi built in with the ability to transfer RAW files. Rumor is the magnesium body causes problems with the WiFi antenna.

Faster quieter screw drive motor.
Faster AF. Maybe a dedicated processor for AF.

Electronic shutter like the X-T1 for 1/32,000 shutter speed.

Priority would be for some new glass with HD coatings and faster AF motors. I'm really hoping for a new D-FA* 77mm HD Limited lens with DC AF.

NICOLAS06 :

What I would like in my next Camera (or so in K3-II):

- Articulated screen.
- Better sensor that play better in low light
- Stiching of panorama bundled in camera. If that could work with raws, even better.
- Lighter/smaller like more of K-S1 weight and size.
- Bundled flash to have a jump in guide number and to support high speed sync so it can be easily used for fill in. Make it maybe articulated so it can point to the ceilling. This would give half what a cobra is bringing (other half is light power).
- The viewfinder is a huge question to me. I really want a nice viewfinder that allow me to set exposure (with a third whell or something) when looking through the viewfinder and to have focus peaking, zoom and histogram available. If you can make both EVF + OVF that would be nice but maybe that need 2 models.
- I agree a little more spread AF point would be better. I don't know if more is really necessary.
- Improve even more AF of moving objects.
- Improve in body shake reduction so that I can use slower speed and avoid tripod. Like shoot up to 1s or 1/2s.
- Don't care pixel number if it is at least 24MP. Can keep it at this level, add more, as long as high iso perf is the same or improved.

I think if this guy managed all that, it would win all award, be #1 in sales and bring lot of new clients to Pentax ! But is it possible? I don't know. The 2 things that I think are really difficult to implement are dual view finder + more effective shake reduction. The rest even the more powerfull articulated flash, I think one can do it.

As to do all of this with smaller/lighter camera, that a little difficult maybe.

I would say then, there place for 2 cameras if not everything can be put if the same one. Like a small one with EVF and big one with OVF.

CLASS A :

An updated K-3 should bring back the option to use hardware-based shake reduction in video mode. The software solution just does not cut it.

The flash delay bug should be fixed, although I personally don't mind if it only affects automatic exposure modes.

The flash system should allow manual control of multiple off-camera flashes.

An articulating screen would be very nice.

Finally, increase the sensor size to 36mmx24mm.

Last edited by AlessioOo; 02-22-2015 at 07:09 AM.
10-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 is already a great camera as it is. They could certainly improve the processing speed further, perhaps decrease the sensor noise via a next-gen chip, and also incorporate native wifi.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-17-2014, 03:19 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The most amazing improvement is if they put a system in one that made it magically appear at my house.
10-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Articulating rear LCD and better video options.

And built-in wi-fi. That is a must.

10-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Articulating rear LCD and better video options.

And built-in wi-fi. That is a must.
+1

I'm not a fan of dual SD card slots either. I see no point tbh.
10-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Things I would like to see in it: Built-in Wifi would be great, articulating screen, would like to see something similar to Olympus's "Live Bulb" (like in the Olympus OMD E-M1)
I like that it has Duel memory cards, mainly because I don't like using uber-high capacity cards in general.Just take out video.
10-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

None of these would make me trade up from my existing K-3, but they would be nice improvements:

- Fix all reported K-3 bugs (mirror flop, flash delay, various camera freezes)
- Flippy screen
- WiFi built-in (not something I use, but people like it)
- Bring back the direct exposure metering mode switch of the K-5
- More AF points, more widely spread (D7100/7DII style)
- Further tweaks and refinements to the algorithms for autofocus (tracking etc)
- Make face detection in viewfinder shooting work for AF (it already seems to record that faces were found in the EXIF, but it doesn't seem to make a difference to AF)
- Video improvements (people seem to always want better video)
- Enable a grid display in the viewfinder, not just the rear LCD
- Include a USB3 cable in the box with the camera!

10-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The improvements I'd like to see on the next version of the K-3 are:
  1. tethering by cable to all smart phones and tablets, as well as laptops (the Pentax FLUcard is OK, but limited, especially in speed);
  2. internal GPS; and
  3. continued improvements in AF, flash and video.
The K-3 has made great improvements in processing speed over the K-5 (I can't say about the K-5II, as I don't own one) and, it appears to me, in AF speed and accuracy even though I haven't made any objective tests to verify that. The dual SD card slots have been a blessing for me on two occasions now, when I had a fault on two cards (Kingston and SanDisk). Those who haven't had this issue when working in valued or valuable situations won't realise what a bonus this feature is.
10-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Articulating rear LCD
And built-in wi-fi
+1
+1

The articulating screen is a must too. They already introduced it with the 645Z, even weather sealed. So comfortable when working with a tripod..

Last edited by carrrlangas; 10-17-2014 at 10:07 PM.
10-18-2014, 03:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The only things I really want to see are built in GPS and WIFI. An articulating screen would be nice, but not at the expense of larger size and weight, IMO.

But I won't be upgrading soon anyway, I'm happy with what I have. The dual SD slots have saved my butt a couple of times!
10-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Less noise.
AF improvement. Another increment like the K5-K5II-k3 would be nice.
Flash delay, further improvements in metering.

The K5iis was quite a step forward in IQ over the K5. A similar improvement would require a better sensor. Is there such a sensor available?
10-20-2014, 01:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Considering the 645Z has a flipping screen that is WR, i think it will come to the next K3.

That would be a must !
10-20-2014, 04:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Considering the 645Z has a flipping screen that is WR, i think it will come to the next K3.

That would be a must !
Not if it has smart phone and tablet tethering. Then it would be redundant and expensive.
10-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #14
Banned

- Maybe going down to 20 megapixel would improve on overal IQ and especially on hi iso. It is a great camera, but the pixeldensity of the 24 megapixels on aps-c is not wise. So either go down in pixelamount or go up in sensorsize (even a small aps-h would be great, pixels of the K-5 are 4,75microm and 24 megapixel fit on 28,5x19mm sensor).

- Better flashsync would be great. Making groups would be great.

- I don't think the PRIME III is holding the camera down in speed (aldo with lenscorrections on the jpg's are slowing down), but the speed to write to the card is somewhere in the system limited. This could be just some minor thing in the electronic hiway. I would like that to be improved, so that we get a faster camera.

- Having the choice between 14-bit RAW and 12-bit RAW would be great. For sports I would choose 12-bit RAW to have a much faster camera. Files would be much smaller.
10-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think having a better sensor -- not sure how this would happen, more like a Foveon sensor perhaps, with better color depth, dynamic range, and resolution, but figuring out how to keep decent high iso. Improved video for those who want it. Improved auto focus (this probably actually need new, non-SDM lenses, with faster motors in them).

Overall, barring a new sensor, it is hard to think of what can be done to make me want a K3 sequel. The K3 is just pretty good at everything I need it to be good at .