Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Jaggies" only measure of IQ? And where are they in my images?

Of course, concerns about image quality are perfectly valid when you are shopping for a DSLR. Prior to picking up my first one (back in 2009, it happened to be a K-7) I did a lot of research, and I bet a fair share of pixel peeping over studio test scenes too. And, if to a lesser extent, I repeated the exercise before getting my K-3 this summer. To a lesser extent, because I've grown more sceptical about laboratory and studio tests, and more aware of all sorts of variables that can affect the usefulness of their results. My K-7, it turned out, was supposed to have an underwhelming "doggy" sensor and so forth, but somehow, for no particular reason, my PEFs precessed just fine in Lightroom 3 and even more so in version 4, at least as long as I didn't push it too far into high ISOs. I do remember seeing some "jaggies" from my K-7 once or twice - in 100% view at ISO 3200 and with too much sharpening applied in LR!

In my experience, the occurrence of this and other IQ issues depends far more on camera settings and post processing than on inherent qualities of the hardware. Reading about "jaggies" in those Imaging Resource Comparometer shots, I revisited some recent DNGs shot with my K-3 with sharp contrasty diagonals in them that should be prone to "jaggies" - if that should be a constant issue haunting the K-3 - and I failed to see any to speak of. They were processed in LR5.6, and those edges didn't look dramatically different when I A-B'ed before and after lens corrections applied. Now it may be the case that the JPEG engine is more likely to produce aliasing, but as far as real-world RAW shooting is concerned, it strikes me pretty much as a non-issue.

Okay, the OP hinted that her friend looking for her first DSLR might be more interested in out-of-camera JPEGs, but then shooting a modern DSLR - regardless of whether it's a Nikon D5300 or a K-50, K-3, or whatever - is somehow like picking up a Ferrari only to drive it in second gear, or is it?

If you want to get a DSLR newbie interested in the Pentax system, it is maybe more promising to treat them to some hands-on experience with it to see how just-right these cameras feel in your hands, how seemlessly they shoot. Or show people how hassle-free post processing is with those highly malleable RAW files. Let them, if that shouldn't suffice, do some pixel peeping over some of your favourite files shot with your finest glass. Show them large-format prints. If they should then find that IQ is an issue with current Pentax DSLRs, well, then maybe they're not ready yet (or ever?) to appreciate what they're missing ...

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-19-2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Stylistic consistency
10-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks everyone-

I went back and reviewed some of my raw files, and found them to be completely free of jaggies. It was really helpful to get your input based upon your extensive experience and expertise. Now what needs to be done, is something about those jpeg artifacts!
10-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Curious Quote
Now what needs to be done, is something about those jpeg artifacts!
Chances are they are being generated by some aspect of your PP. The export to JPEG involves a decrease in bit depth and probably also narrowing of the color space to sRGB. Figure in a reduction in pixel dimensions and there is plenty of room for artifact. Boosting contrast and/or saturation may provide ample opportunity for things to go south. Are they still there if you do a straight export to JPEG from the original DNG?

Steve