Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Who believes advertising, Emalvick?

Not the manufacturers.

Look at your warranty terms and conditions. Somebody around here reproduced it once - water is a specific no no.

Anyone who buys anything believes in advertising to some extant, if not for what they buy.

Is it unreasonable to assume that the standard of performance I received in similar products should still hold for a new product that is specified the same way?

While I can understand that they have terms and conditions, it wasn't like I went scuba diving with the camera or dropped it in a lake. It was drizzling. The rain wasn't pounding. I've inadvertently been in worse conditions with my previous cameras. While I'll see what the warranty people state, if a drizzle is enough to ruin a camera, than their advertising needs to change. As it is, I suspect their going to find that the flaw is on their side anyway. I can't even see how water damage could cause the problem I'm seeing and only that problem. Something is just not right with that dial. On close look, the lock doesn't engage (i.e. if I switch the lock on, I can still change the mode dial without pressing the button to do so).

I'm thinking something else failed, and it was just a coincidence that it was the day after I was out in a drizzling rain. I won't say it isn't my own fault, but I'm almost wondering if I didn't knock something in that location on putting the camera into my camera bag on that day. I was moving the camera into and out of the bag quite a bit as opposed to keeping it out since the conditions were a bit wet and I was trying to keep my camera from just sitting out in the elements.

11-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #62
Pentaxian

There are interesting perspectives on Ricoh's "weather resistance" here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/261716-new-pentax-u...therproof.html

- Craig
11-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
The O-P may in fact have a camera with a bad seal (as others have implied). I know that with my own K10d and K5, I never had issues shooting in the rain and even with the K10d (5 years ago now), I never had any WR lenses. However, in cases where I shot in rain, I still used caution. While the Pentax gave me comfort to shoot with it, I did my best to protect it while not shooting and wiped it off as often as I could when given a chance.

Never-the-less, in consumer marketing, almost nothing is marketed as water proof because I don't think anything can truly meet that criteria. With Pentax, I've just taken it to mean that I can go out in the rain and take some shots, but any further, and it's probably playing with fire.

I do find it a bit odd that all the WR lenses are generally zoom lenses while most of the primes are not WR. Is a prime inherently better in rainy situations anyway because it doesn't zoom? And how easy is it to make seals and have them work well when a lens like the 18-135 mm have quite a difference in extension when zoomed fully in vs. fully wide? I'm just curious.

I used to use my Tamron 17-50 constantly in rainy conditions, and I'll have to admit that I figured the lens was good enough to keep my camera from having any major issues, but I was resigned to the fact that the lens itself may end up with issues someday. I never have had any problems in the long term with that lens and water, however. I did just get a K3, so I haven't put it through any weather, yet, but I'm spending 5 days in Portland, OR, starting next week, and the camera will come along and get used in the rain. However, I think I'm going to stick with the 18-135 exclusively.

this ^^^ - I have shot in heavy downpours with a none wr zoom (Sigma 24-70) on my K10 but I would wipe it down frequently and do what i could to shield it. I also would drop a plastic bag over it except the lens end if it was going to be ongoing. Ideally for extended wet heavy rain etc a proper rain shield bag at a minimum and if it is hurricane force nothing less than a dive housing
11-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
this ^^^ - I have shot in heavy downpours with a none wr zoom (Sigma 24-70) on my K10 but I would wipe it down frequently and do what i could to shield it. I also would drop a plastic bag over it except the lens end if it was going to be ongoing. Ideally for extended wet heavy rain etc a proper rain shield bag at a minimum and if it is hurricane force nothing less than a dive housing
As an update... apparently my camera's problem had nothing to do with weather seals or water in the camera. Apparently the lock on the mode dial broke loose. At least that's their description. The lock seemed to work ok when I sent it out. I engaged and disengaged it multiple times. All I know is that the camera would not change modes when I changed them.

That makes me feel better that it wasn't rain or water. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I do protect the camera as much as I can including drying it off, etc. I also don't hide from the rain, but the day the mode dial broke was not the type of rain most Pentax users would hide from. It was really mist and not large drops. Anyway, when I asked the repair center about the weather seals, they stated that is one of the first things they check on most cameras that come in. Their indication on my camera is that the seals were in good shape and there was no sign of water in the camera.

On a side note. They received the camera on Friday, and today, Monday, the camera is being shipped back. That is an impressive turn around. Perhaps they're in a lull with warranty repairs. They even answered the phone right away as I had a hard time identifying whether the camera was delivered to them.

I'm happy.

11-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #65
Site Supporter

As an update... apparently my camera's problem had nothing to do with weather seals or water in the camera.
I'm happy.
Joy reigns in K-3 land!!!

Glad it all turned out and glad the repair was timely and covered under warranty!

Steve
11-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #66
Pentaxian

As an update ...
Maybe add a little update to the first post, otherwise people googling K3 weather sealing and not reading through all the posts of the thread might be put off by light rain apparently damaging the camera
11-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Maybe add a little update to the first post, otherwise people googling K3 weather sealing and not reading through all the posts of the thread might be put off by light rain apparently damaging the camera
Except, I am not the original poster (otherwise I would have).

Perhaps when I officially get the camera back, I'll start another thread.... Other threads have me a bit worried about out Precision Camera will do, and while they have stated the camera is fixed and it is now shipped back. I'm a bit curious the repair went too quickly and that the fix will be a permanent one. We'll see.
11-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Uh, sorry - mixed that up.

11-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #69
Site Supporter

You might want to edit your "entry" comment

Steve

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 06:00 PM ----------

Speaking of the OP, I would be curious as to how all this turned out. On a whim, I checked the exif on the horribly over exposed third photo and noticed that while the first were done in Tv mode, the last was in M mode (1/60s, f/3.5, ISO 6400). Whether this was an unintentional mode change or the result of an internal short would be interesting to know.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-17-2014 at 07:02 PM.
11-18-2014, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Speaking of the OP, I would be curious as to how all this turned out. On a whim, I checked the exif on the horribly over exposed third photo and noticed that while the first were done in Tv mode, the last was in M mode (1/60s, f/3.5, ISO 6400). Whether this was an unintentional mode change or the result of an internal short would be interesting to know.
OP here. I'll check the original shots tonight about the M mode observation. It's been a while now but I don't remember consciously switching to M.

There's no new development in the "case". I haven't had more rainy outings and the camera has been flawless ever since.

As an aside, I managed to salvage the #2 shot and it made the cut for the yearly family photo book which I'm working on at the moment.

Regards,
--Anders.
11-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I dug up the pics from that rainy day and looked at the exif.
My old PhotoME v. 0.79R17 has some trouble reading the K-3 exif right. It reports "exposure program" as "shutter priority" or "normal" and "exposure mode" as "normal" or "manual".

So I tried DCU5 and it reports shutter priority for almost all of the photos except the last three including the OP's last photo, which was in P mode with auto ISO and -2.7 EC (!).

Regards,
--Anders.
11-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #72
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
So I tried DCU5 and it reports shutter priority for almost all of the photos except the last three including the OP's last photo, which was in P mode with auto ISO and -2.7 EC (!).
ExifTool for the last photo:
ExposureMode: Manual
ExposureCompensation: -2.7
ExposureProgram; Program AE
The second image:
ExposureMode: Auto
ExposureCompensation: 0
ExposureProgram: Shutter speed priority AE
I then took a photo with my K-3 in M mode and fixed ISO with -2.7 EV comp:
ExposureMode: Manual
ExposureCompensation: -2.7
ExposureProgram: Manual
ExifTool does not expose a field for Auto ISO off/on, but that feature is not normally available in M mode anyway. It looks like you have evidence of a definite fault of some kind.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-18-2014 at 10:45 PM.
11-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
We had the most wonderful downpour yesterday. We donned macs and wellingtons and took the kids out for some puddle action in the park. Naturally I brought the K-3 and the 18-135. That combo is just made for rainy outings with the kids.

After an hour of rain drenched fun the camera started overexposing. 1-2 stops at first, then 3-4 stops in shutter priority with auto ISO. I found I could counteract it with exposure compensation. Then out of the blue it declared "battery depleted".

Here are some examples: 1: Good shot, 2: 1-2 stop overexpsed, 3:4+ stops overexposed.

I left the camera to dry back home. After a wipedown and a couple of hours of drying time I experimented a bit.
I tried another, known good battery and other lenses. Still the same overexposure and premature battery warnings.
Later on the camera gradually recovered and is now back to normal!

Did I just experience water ingress and some sort of short circuit?

The 18-135 expands and contracts a fair bit when zooming. If you hold your lips up to the eyepiece when zooming in and out, you can feel air escaping. Can this "pumping" make the camera suck in moisture through the eyepiece area? That's where the light meter is AFAIK.

I don't know whether to take it in for warranty repair. So far I don't think I have enough evidence to point to water damage. Besides the overexposed pictures of course.

Should I open a warranty case? The camera is 2 months old. What would you do?

Regards,
--Anders.
I think zoomin in and out could have suck in moisture. I got my k3 replaced after techs could not repair it and sends it back to production site.