Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The O-P may in fact have a camera with a bad seal (as others have implied). I know that with my own K10d and K5, I never had issues shooting in the rain and even with the K10d (5 years ago now), I never had any WR lenses. However, in cases where I shot in rain, I still used caution. While the Pentax gave me comfort to shoot with it, I did my best to protect it while not shooting and wiped it off as often as I could when given a chance.

Never-the-less, in consumer marketing, almost nothing is marketed as water proof because I don't think anything can truly meet that criteria. With Pentax, I've just taken it to mean that I can go out in the rain and take some shots, but any further, and it's probably playing with fire.

I do find it a bit odd that all the WR lenses are generally zoom lenses while most of the primes are not WR. Is a prime inherently better in rainy situations anyway because it doesn't zoom? And how easy is it to make seals and have them work well when a lens like the 18-135 mm have quite a difference in extension when zoomed fully in vs. fully wide? I'm just curious.

I used to use my Tamron 17-50 constantly in rainy conditions, and I'll have to admit that I figured the lens was good enough to keep my camera from having any major issues, but I was resigned to the fact that the lens itself may end up with issues someday. I never have had any problems in the long term with that lens and water, however. I did just get a K3, so I haven't put it through any weather, yet, but I'm spending 5 days in Portland, OR, starting next week, and the camera will come along and get used in the rain. However, I think I'm going to stick with the 18-135 exclusively.

10-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
but I'm spending 5 days in Portland, OR, starting next week, and the camera will come along and get used in the rain.
Yep, the forecast is looking pretty damp

OTOH, the wet makes for some interesting night shots in the city.

Steve
10-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, the forecast is looking pretty damp

Steve
Oh, I look forward to it. I have some fantastic photos from Seattle a few years ago in the rain, and a lot of wonderful photos from Reykjavik in the rain. Dry and sunny weather is way over-rated. Actually, my love of rain and the weather sealing in the K10d is what convinced me to buy Pentax for my first dSLR (that and the lack of any digital cameras to support my old manual Minolta lenses).

I will be curious if the OP ever experiences his problem again or if there are any lasting issues from his problem.
10-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #34
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Many years ago, when Pentax introduced the IQ90WR camera (point & shoot) as the first "weather resistant" camera, it was promoted as capable of handling splashes, being dropped on the beach and taking a heavy rain.... BUT that's it! Its owner's manual clearly stated that DO NOT OPERATE CAMERA, ZOOM, LOAD FILM OR OPEN BATTERY CHAMBER IF CAMERA IS WET!.

WR means Weather Resistant, as it can take a downpour, get dirty and it could be washed by a light water stream under the tap. IT DOES NOT MEAN it can be operated for long periods of time under wet conditions!

No matter how many seals the camera and lens has. There are still places that are NOT water tight, like the viewfinder diopter adjustment lever, the pop up flash, all the doors (memory, connectors, etc), the gaps between power grip and body bottom and connections, battery door, etc. Provided seal will protect in case of splash or occasional wet conditions, but not under operation.

Just think about this. If the camera and lens were really water tight, it would be difficult to zoom in or out, as the air pressure inside the camera/lens combination could not be released (zoom in) or sucked it (zoom out). But with the K3 (or any other WR camera and lens combination), there is not even a slight resistance when zooming... right? This means there is lots of air being sucked in and pumped out the camera/lens combo every time the zoom is moved.
The air goes through the eye piece...

10-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This post makes me nervous, but I've been cavalier with my cameras in heavy rain, including taking my K-x and the non-WR kit lens out for street photography where I needed we both needed a towel afterwards, as well as doing astro with my K-30 and 16-50 DA*.
10-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
but I've been cavalier with my cameras in heavy rain,
Best not to. Especially as the rubber/plastic seals naturally degrade over time.

Even those Ricoh WG underwater compacts are meant to have professional checking annually, IIRC, but I haven't heard of anyone ever bothering to do that.
10-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Quite often when Pentax' weather sealing is brought up as a selling point, users of other systems rush to point out that no one would want to shoot in the rain anyways as usually there isn't good light etc.

I think it's time for a thread titled 'Shots I got through weather sealing' where people can post a (decent) picture they took and give a short backstory of how they could not have taken this shot without WR

Could be stories like what you mentioned (rain at night), involving waterfalls, monsoon, rafting etc.

10-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote

I think it's time for a thread titled 'Shots I got through weather sealing' where people can post a (decent) picture they took and give a short backstory of how they could not have taken this shot without WR

Could be stories like what you mentioned (rain at night), involving waterfalls, monsoon, rafting etc.
The problem is that the photographer is not always as weather resistant as his gear.
10-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Quite often when Pentax' weather sealing is brought up as a selling point, users of other systems rush to point out that no one would want to shoot in the rain anyways as usually there isn't good light etc.

And yet some of the best photos are those where people overcome the obstacles of bad lighting, weather conditions, etc. Perfect lighting, etc can get a bit boring because that's what everyone does. Of course, I'm generalizing.

I agree with your idea for a thread just as you proposed. Heck, your comment on waterfalls also reminds me of my experience in Iceland with one of the taller waterfalls and a sudden wind gust that blew the waterfall right over the top of me while I was trying to photograph a close up of my wife in front of it. Camera survived that. I'll have to look for it and contribute it to the future thread.
10-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I do find it a bit odd that all the WR lenses are generally zoom lenses while most of the primes are not WR. Is a prime inherently better in rainy situations anyway because it doesn't zoom?
Prime shooting generally requires occasional lens changes, which are impossible in the rain. That alone makes primes (WR or not) less suitable for rain work.

That said, Pentax offers 5 WR primes: 55, 100, 200, 300, 560. If you need a long prime, you're not likely just walking about but trying to shoot something specific, in which case you'll stay with the long prime for the whole rainy outing.

Another reason could be that Pentax strives for compactness in the primes. WR works against that.

Regards,
--Anders.
10-25-2014, 06:33 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Prime shooting generally requires occasional lens changes, which are impossible in the rain.
At the same time a lens around 35 mm like the DA 35 f/2.4 or the FA 31 f/1.8 Limited are very versatile lenses for street photography and would, in my opinion, make sense on a rainy day too. Especially as rain = overcast = less light = faster aperture = prime.
10-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #42
Veteran Member

A WR walkaround prime would be the best of both worlds. Sufficient FOV and crop for zoom, without any zooming parts (preferably internal focus and a deep hood - like the DA*55).
10-26-2014, 01:57 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
...occasional lens changes, which are impossible in the rain
Bollocks
10-26-2014, 02:26 AM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Bollocks
Glad you can afford making a tragic mistake, Schraubstock!
10-26-2014, 03:39 AM   #45

Lets hope the OP can figure out what is going on with the camera.

FWIW, when I take photos in the rain, these are the precautions I take after having read many threads here and seen how the camera reacts in reality:

Set a focal length and keep it there. I only have the 18-55WR and DA*50-135 to choose from, so either I am going to be taking wideish angle photographs or short telephoto.

With the 18-55, I know that the sweet spot is 35mm, but if I can only choose one focal length, I'll opt for 24-28ish and leave it there. That lens does not have internal focusing or zoom, so even when you keep it at one focal length, the end of the lens will extend/retreat about half a centimeter. Because this lens is also not so sharp (across the frame at least) until f8, I generally won't take it out in the rain. The amount of light that lens requires typically won't be found on a rainy day, unless you want to put the camera on legs. I don't really like taking the tripod out in the rain as it hinders mobility.

I'm much more willing to take my camera out with the DA*50-135 as the level of sealing is supposed to be better and the lens returns beautiful images just about every time. It also has internal focusing and zoom, so the chance of water intruding into the lens is reduced. Still, I tend to find a focal length and keep it there until I can wipe the lens really well and see that there isn't any water beading about the focal length/zoom ring conjunction.

I also prefer to have a predetermined subject or set of photographs when it is raining. That way I can capture the images I want and reduce the amount of time I spend in the rain with the camera.

Lastly, I always wipe the camera down very well and then place it in a plastic bag before coming inside. Very often, at least here in Finland, the outside temperature and indoor temperature (along with humidity) is vastly different, which causes condensation on the entire camera body. I'd rather allow the camera to slowly come to room temperature protected inside an impervious barrier than risk anything happening to it.

If it is snowing outside, then I'm a little more cavalier with the camera since the camera will quickly come to freezing and snow can be dusted off relatively easily. Well, that depends on what kind of snow it is, but you get the idea.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I just want to ensure that my investment (my K3, previously K7) stays with me for years.

Last edited by Finchj; 10-26-2014 at 03:53 AM.