Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2014, 04:01 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Glad you can afford making a tragic mistake, Schraubstock!
Are you interested to know how it is done ?

10-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Are you interested to know how it is done ?
How could that be anything else other than covered, SS?
10-26-2014, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How could that be anything else other than covered
Hi Clackers

Of course.
It was the word "impossible" that prompted my retort
10-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi Clackers

Of course.
It was the word "impossible" that prompted my retort
Yeah, it's a red rag to a bull in an internet forum. :-)

10-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, it's a red rag to a bull in an internet forum. :-)
I resisted the urge.

Steve
10-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Prime shooting generally requires occasional lens changes, which are impossible in the rain. That alone makes primes (WR or not) less suitable for rain work.

That said, Pentax offers 5 WR primes: 55, 100, 200, 300, 560. If you need a long prime, you're not likely just walking about but trying to shoot something specific, in which case you'll stay with the long prime for the whole rainy outing.

Another reason could be that Pentax strives for compactness in the primes. WR works against that.

Regards,
--Anders.
All true, and I do realize the issue with changing the lens. If I shoot in the rain, I rarely change lenses, and even with zooms, I rarely change focal lengths. If I look back at the last few trips I've taken 95% of my shots were at 17 mm or 10 mm (for the two zoom lens and depending on which was on the camera). I tend to shoot wide and then use my feet to zoom. Thus, this year I picked up some primes to fit my style anyway. However, I know with my upcoming trip, I'll be better served with the zoom I have because of the rain. I've seen what you noted for WR primes, but I rarely shoot over 50 mm, especially when I'm out in the weather.

Ultimately, I'm just happy I can do anything out in the weather.
11-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Currently on my trip with my month old k3. Yesterday, we traveled the Columbia river gorge. Light rain and drizzle. Camera seemed to do fine, but this morning, the camera mode dial only functioned in video mode no matter what was actually set on that dial. It appears the water got in there.

If that's the case this k3 is not nearly as good in damp conditions as my k5 or k10d. I can't take one photo now as it thinks it's only in video mode.

If the warranty doesn't cover this, I'll think twice about buying Pentax again. It appears to be a faulty seal just because it's specifically at the dial, but this now seems to be common for a camera that markets itself for weather resistance.

-------------------------------------------Problem not Rain Related-----------------------------------------------------------

Turns out the lever for switching from still-mode to video-mode broke unrelated to rain. More likely related to my constantly hiding the camera under my coat to keep it out of the rain.

I was so new to the K-3 that I didn't realize the video mode is changed as it is now. I was used to the video mode being on the mode dial itself. The lever broke right off, so I didn't see that it should have been there.

As it is, the camera was fixed under warranty and even cleaned and calibrated. My returned camera is now even calibrated such that I no longer have to adjust my lenses for front or back focusing. Better yet, the turn around on the camera was 2 days at Precision Camera and 10 days total from the time I shipped it to the time it was returned to me.

Last edited by emalvick; 11-25-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Update
11-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote

If the warranty doesn't cover this, I'll think twice about buying Pentax again.
It doesn't.

And no manufacturer's does.

Exposing electronic items to water can be rolling dice - avoid if possible!
11-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #54
Veteran Member

It doesn't.

And no manufacturer's does.

Exposing electronic items to water can be rolling dice - avoid if possible!
Whatever. I've had two cameras survive downpours. Yesterday was a drizzle. If WR can't handle that than it's false advertising, plain and simple. What's the point of weather sealing, if it doesn't work?
11-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Whatever. I've had two cameras survive downpours. Yesterday was a drizzle. If WR can't handle that than it's false advertising, plain and simple. What's the point of weather sealing, if it doesn't work?
Sorry about your camera. I would contact Ricoh to see what their response is. If I still had my K10D, I would offer it as a loaner since I live close by. But, alas, I sold it Do you know for sure what the point of ingress was? I would have suspected the memory card door, though I guess it could actually be any point where there is a lever or dial.

Steve
11-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sorry about your camera. I would contact Ricoh to see what their response is. If I still had my K10D, I would offer it as a loaner since I live close by. But, alas, I sold it Do you know for sure what the point of ingress was? I would have suspected the memory card door, though I guess it could actually be any point where there is a lever or dial.

Steve
I still have my k5, so it isn't a big deal from that perspective. Heck, I have my k10d even.

What surprises me is the problem is at the dial, which is my guess for where the water got in (just my guess). All other buttons and functions work fine. I just can't change the mode.

I can turn the dial, but the camera only things it's in video mode no matter what is actually selected. I only wish it would have gotten stuck I've Av mode.

I expected something like this on my Iceland trip since it rained good, and once the wind actually blew a waterfall on top of me (see earlier post I made in this thread).

Well, I am hoping it works after it dries out, but I'm going to see what the warranty coverage is since I'm pretty sure it is a faulty seal at that dial. I can't see why it would fail while other buttons and points seem ok.
11-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You will lose nothing by trying to use the warranty. They might surprise you.
11-04-2014, 01:42 AM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

If WR can't handle that than it's false advertising, plain and simple.
Who believes advertising, Emalvick?

Not the manufacturers.

Look at your warranty terms and conditions. Somebody around here reproduced it once - water is a specific no no.
11-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who believes advertising, Emalvick?

Not the manufacturers.

Look at your warranty terms and conditions. Somebody around here reproduced it once - water is a specific no no.
Indeed, if Ricoh cares it'll be the PR division, not the warranty part.
11-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Can they even always tell if it is water damage? (If it isn't still wet?) The mode is stuck, that's all that is important.