Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

K-3 vs K-30 Autofocus

I have been using my K-30 for a year and have been happy with images I am getting from it. With the recent price drop of the K-3, I am considering an upgrade. My most concerned feature is the auto focus. I shoot mostly my 4 and 6 year olds running around at the park during the day time and I find the auto focus of the K-30 to be lacking at times. To those who had experience with both K-3 and K-30, will I gain much in auto focus by upgrading my K-30 to K-3 for my use?

10-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
I have been using my K-30 for a year and have been happy with images I am getting from it. With the recent price drop of the K-3, I am considering an upgrade. My most concerned feature is the auto focus. I shoot mostly my 4 and 6 year olds running around at the park during the day time and I find the auto focus of the K-30 to be lacking at times. To those who had experience with both K-3 and K-30, will I gain much in auto focus by upgrading my K-30 to K-3 for my use?
I think you'll gain a bit (plus superior low-light performance), but the main bottleneck is oftentimes the lens. What are you shooting with?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam for your reply. My lenses are in my signature. I was actually reading your review of the K3 and I have a question about you autofocus test vs the Nikon D600. At what focal length was the test done under DA for the 60-250 and Nikon 70-200/2.8? TIA.
10-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #4

One friend of mine shoots K-5II and DA*55 and he is very satisfied with this combination. My personal experience is that there is not so big difference between K-5II and K-30 in terms of their AF reliability.

Some of his photos:

http://pentaxfriends.eu/gallery/albums/userpics/Koupani-4125_resize.jpg

http://pentaxfriends.eu/gallery/albums/userpics/Krosar-51352B5136_resize.jpg

http://pentaxfriends.eu/gallery/albums/userpics/Ve_Ctenicich-6237_resize.jpg

http://pentaxfriends.eu/gallery/albums/userpics/Na_lanovce-6679_resize.jpg

Last edited by cport; 10-24-2014 at 01:42 AM.
10-25-2014, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

K-3 is FAR better in AF compared to my K5:
- the AF point work better in low light, Before it was difficult to achieve good focus with most lenses in low light, now this is easy.
- the center AF point size didn't change but the other AF point are really smaller. This make shallow deph of field shoot much easier to achieve as the camera really focus on what you select, and not some "distant" object in the frame.
- the f/2.8 capabilties make fast prime more accurate.
- the overall AF is faster making more suitable for action. For that last case, there real tracking capabilities that use both the AF sensors and the color metering. My understanding is that is not D7100 level, but is good.
- the screw drive motor is faster and more powerfull

It really changed my life in term of AF. Now all fast prime are very accurate to shoot with, even in low light. Before FA50 was really trial/error, now it work well. The 50-135 that was so slow to focus is now much faster and also more accurate. Overall the new AF is a game changer.

Compared to K30 I don't know, but I think K30 AF is much more like K5 AF than K3 AF... It sure have slower screw drive, no f/2.8 sensors, no small precise sensors, no 27 point AF, no new color and precise metering, no improved low light AF...
10-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
K-3 is FAR better in AF compared to my K5:
- the AF point work better in low light, Before it was difficult to achieve good focus with most lenses in low light, now this is easy.
- the center AF point size didn't change but the other AF point are really smaller. This make shallow deph of field shoot much easier to achieve as the camera really focus on what you select, and not some "distant" object in the frame.
- the f/2.8 capabilties make fast prime more accurate.
- the overall AF is faster making more suitable for action. For that last case, there real tracking capabilities that use both the AF sensors and the color metering. My understanding is that is not D7100 level, but is good.
- the screw drive motor is faster and more powerfull

It really changed my life in term of AF. Now all fast prime are very accurate to shoot with, even in low light. Before FA50 was really trial/error, now it work well. The 50-135 that was so slow to focus is now much faster and also more accurate. Overall the new AF is a game changer.

Compared to K30 I don't know, but I think K30 AF is much more like K5 AF than K3 AF... It sure have slower screw drive, no f/2.8 sensors, no small precise sensors, no 27 point AF, no new color and precise metering, no improved low light AF...
Thank you for all your insight. I might give the K3 a go.
10-27-2014, 04:23 AM   #7

I owned K-30 for almost one year, I currently own K-5II (also almost one year). There is not so much difference between AF (The step K10D ->K-30 was surprising indeed.), in some sense K-30 (K-50) has a more pleasant ergonomics (especially the choice of AF points with the help of Fx button and rollers).

K-30 is a very capable camera
11-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #8

I have a k-3 and k-30. I've found that the k-3 hunts for focus less and produces more keepers. I primarily use a Tamron 17-50 and Pentax 50, so results with other lenses may differ.

11-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
Yos
Veteran Member

I have a K-30 and a K-3. My lens collection might not be that impressive but I have noticed a big difference in AF speed when using them. And it's much easier to use my K-3 when taking pictures of our dog when he is playing. So imo it was worth it to upgrade from K-30 from K-3.
11-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by vegenigma Quote
I have a k-3 and k-30. I've found that the k-3 hunts for focus less and produces more keepers. I primarily use a Tamron 17-50 and Pentax 50, so results with other lenses may differ.
My Tamron 17-50 sits on my K-x probably 90% of the time. I am thinking of upgrading to the K-3. How is the AF of the K-3 with 17-50?
11-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Autofocus on the k3 is excellent and significantly better than earlier Pentax cameras with every AF lens.
11-04-2014, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
My Tamron 17-50 sits on my K-x probably 90% of the time. I am thinking of upgrading to the K-3. How is the AF of the K-3 with 17-50?
Very fast and very impressive in less-than-stellar lighting. Center spot focus mode does a better job of finding the exact spot I want to be in focus, which has improved my DoF shots.

I wish I still had a k-x around so I could give you actual focus time numbers. I highly recommend the k-3 with that lens, with the caveat that I have read a couple user reviews that state the camera needs lots of manual adjustments for non-Pentax lenses to correct for front- or back-focusing problems. I haven't found that to be the case at all, personally. I attached my lens and needed no such adjustment.

Last edited by vegenigma; 11-04-2014 at 10:32 PM.
11-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The K-3 has a stronger/faster AF motor so screw drive lenses perform much better vs older series bodies.
Some lenses that were considered AF dogs pep right up when you put them on the K-3.
I've noticed this with the DFA100WR which has a very long AF travel as a macro.
On the K-3 end to end travel is much quicker.