Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Do you turn your K3 off between shots?

Do you turn your K3 off between shots?

I'm about to start doing that. When I'm out walking around, if I take some pictures, then walk some more, with the K3 around my neck, several times I've gone to take another picture and the white balance has changed, or the drive mode changes... It's like the buttons on the back are too easy to press.

Anyone know of a way to prevent this from happening?

10-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Set your auto off timer to a smaller number? Once it goes to sleep i think only the shutter button will wake it.
10-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As shared by Jatrax, I would not turn off the camera (just let it sleep), then you don't need to worry about any setting changes.
10-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #4

I'm in the habit of turning it off.... I use a black rapid strap so the camera hangs at my hip. If I don't turn it off then I can trigging a number of unintentional shots.

Same goes for the grip. If I don't turn the grip off then many times the heel of my hand will accidentally touch the grip shutter button when working holding in landscape mode. I've therefore gotten into the habit of turning that off as well.

I shoot mainly in M mode and I find it usually keeps the settings I want between power ups.

AB

10-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I usually switch it off. I don't really think about it - my index finger switches it on whenever I start lifting the camera to my eye.

And I always have the mode wheel lock enabled.
10-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Set your auto off timer to a smaller number? Once it goes to sleep i think only the shutter button will wake it.
I have it set as low as it will go.

And I do have the mode wheel locked.
10-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I also use a Black Rapid a lot of the time and find in Av mode (my most-used mode) that the rear dial gets turned so the lens goes wide open if I leave the camera on.
So I try to turn it off but I don't always remember to. I have had a little trouble with photos not being as stopped down as I wanted because of it. So I need to either remember to turn it off or remember to check settings when I go for a shot.

10-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I always turn it off if I am not using it. Starts up pretty quickly so for what I shot I don't feel I lose any shots waiting for it to come on.
10-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes.
10-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
Forum Member

When I am walking around covering a wedding or other event - no. When I'm taking pictures for myself/just for fun it's about 50/50.

I never wear the camera around my neck, I wear it slung under my shoulder (like a woman's purse) and almost always have a hand on it. I have never had the settings on the K-3 change on me whether the camera is on or off, but I could see it happening if it was around the neck and one was to jog or even walk briskly. Although, when I'm covering a wedding I usually have another camera around my neck, and I can't ever remember switching to that camera and having the settings be different from the last time I used the camera.

Maybe your strap has too much slack and is bouncing more than usual?
10-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #11

I don't but then I usually hold it with one hand down by my leg so I've never encountered any issues with any settings being changed whilst not using it. I would take jatrax's advice and just shorten the Off timer.
10-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dborked Quote
I don't but then I usually hold it with one hand down by my leg so I've never encountered any issues with any settings being changed whilst not using it. I would take jatrax's advice and just shorten the Off timer.
I leave it on all the time, and have the timer set to a very short auto off time interval.
Usually wear the camera over my shoulder, with my left hand on it, in case the strap lets go, which has never happened...
I leave the mode unlocked, but occasionally it is half locked, which is annoying, but not major.
I guess I don't like the camera to bounce off my chest...
10-28-2014, 04:08 AM   #13
Unregistered User

No, never turn it off when out shooting. Lenscap off and camera on. Was out skiing in -20 degrees C for a full day like this having the camera slung over my chest with the top end towards me so that the lens points down and rear end facing up.
10-28-2014, 04:21 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chimpwithagun Quote
When I am walking around covering a wedding or other event - no. When I'm taking pictures for myself/just for fun it's about 50/50.

Maybe your strap has too much slack and is bouncing more than usual?
That could very well be it. Thanks.
10-28-2014, 05:00 AM   #15
Pentaxian

No, I don't. I use SELECT focusnig, and the four way controller is, by default, set to change the focus point, so the worst that can happen is my focus point moving.