Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2014, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 HDMI Cable Requirements?

Well, this was a surprise. Several weeks ago I ordered a 6' HDMI cable from monoprice.com for my K-3. My user manual only specified a type-D (micro) fitting for the camera end so I felt confident ordering the less expensive of two options. After all, a cable is a cable, right and monoprice does not sell junk, right?

When I got the item, I was impressed with the quality and immediately attempted to connect to my Panasonic plasma TV. Hmmmmm...no connection, not even a bad one. I tried again with the camera set manually to various resolutions. Still no luck. The camera and TV were not talking. I got in touch with monoprice and they said "no problem, we will send you another one". You have got to love those guys at monoprice.

A few days later I got the replacement and plugged it into the camera and TV. Hmmmmm...still no connection. So what have we here? Bad camera? Bad cable? Bad TV? Protocol mismatch? So off I went to Best Buy to see if any of their monitors will support my camera and cable...
  • K-3 + monoprice cable + super-cool Samsung 4K monitor => zip
  • K-3 + monoprice cable + small field monitor => zip
  • K-3 + Best Buy cable + small field monitor => SUCCESS!
Back to monoprice and here is what they said, "Your camera must have a high-speed cable to connect". Huh? High-speed cable? What is that? It turns out that there are two standards for HDMI cables. The standard cables are rated up to 1080i and the high speed versions up to 4K at some random vertical resolution. Ok, I set the K-3 to 1080i, why won't it connect? Silence on the other end. The good people at monoprice offered me an RMA for credit. Great people those guys at monoprice. I just wish they were more explicit in their product description. I would have liked something on the order of "may not work with current devices". I also wish that Pentax had indicated that there might be an issue with standard HDMI cables.

Moral of the story? Buy a high-speed HDMI cable if you want to pipe out to an external monitor. Do not by a standard-speed HDMI cable!

Edit: See the rest of the story in my comment below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/276891-k-3-hdmi-cable-requ...ml#post3008675

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-07-2014 at 10:53 AM.
10-31-2014, 01:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
hm, nice to know. although I think i have used it with a standard HDMI cable.
Will verify on that...
10-31-2014, 02:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was not aware of this. I just got a cheap china cable from ebay and it worked with my TV right away. Perhaps I was lucky and got the right thing by chance.

Regards,
--Anders.
10-31-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
hm, nice to know. although I think i have used it with a standard HDMI cable.
Will verify on that...
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
I was not aware of this. I just got a cheap china cable from ebay and it worked with my TV right away. Perhaps I was lucky and got the right thing by chance.

Regards,
--Anders.
Thank you both. I would have expected that a standard cable should have worked just fine. So the question is whether monoprice has a bad batch of cables. I don't have any other micro HDMI devices to test it with.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-31-14 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Moral of the story? Buy a high-speed HDMI cable if you want to pipe out to an external monitor. Do not by a standard-speed HDMI cable!
Ricoh/Pentax support got back to me and indicated that they were unaware of any specific cable requirement. They did, however, suggest buying the cable from the Pentax online store ($34 USD and labeled "high speed" in the illustration) I can't say for sure that a high speed cable is required, only that the difference should be considered before purchase.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-31-2014 at 11:10 AM.
11-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Rest Of The Story

I finally got a cable from Monoprice that worked. As it turned out, the item I ordered is actually spec'ed and labeled as a high speed HDMI cable. The first two samples they shipped were defective. This is unusual for Monoprice. Their quality is generally quite high.

Steve