Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #1

Just got my K-3. Two questions for you guys please

Hi all,

Okay, so, I'm a total newb. Just stepping up from a point and shoot. So, ignorance aside.. opened my K-3 package, my lens, attached them, read from the rather daunting manual for a while, and took some pics (after inserting my charged battery and new recommended high speed memory card).

Question 1: after taking several pics and viewing them on the LCD screen, I set the camera down on the table in front of me. When I picked it up after a minute or so, the screen was frozen. I couldn't even turn off the camera. Eventually, I had to remove the battery. After replacing the battery, all was well. Is this normal? I'm a little freaked, as it's brand new. I read some reviews from people who experienced weird freezing issues as well as mirror flapping. Really really hoping this isn't an indicator of things to come...

Question 2: good God, the manual is dense. Looking forward to getting to the point where I can begin playing with Aperture and Shutter Speed and take pictures. How did other newbies penetrate the amazing amount of info conveyed in this manual? I get that I jumped into a whole new level of camera, but wow, this will take a while... any good vids to help ease the transition?

Thanks all :-) Love this forum so far.

11-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Before we can answer your first question, do you know if you're updated to the latest firmware?

And as for the second, I would recommend using the manual more as a reference guide. If you know about proper exposure (ie. ISO, shutter speed, and aperture), then just go out and shoot. You'll get the hang of it.
11-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
Before we can answer your first question, do you know if you're updated to the latest firmware?

And as for the second, I would recommend using the manual more as a reference guide. If you know about proper exposure (ie. ISO, shutter speed, and aperture), then just go out and shoot. You'll get the hang of it.
Thanks for the quick reply. Haven't updated firmware yet. Will do so first thing tomorrow morning as prompted. :-)
11-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
Forum Member

Most of the things you catch whilst playing with the camera. I find it more rewarding actually shooting pictures and finding out the uses for each button along the road instead of spending time on the manual. But I do think, if you are curious about anything, the manual's the way to go!
Have fun with your new camera!

About the freezing, maybe try changing the settings so that it shuts down after 1 min, maybe that helps?

11-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
firmware:
Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
manual:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3.pdf
i had mine for ~ 12 months now, never used printed manual, much prefer pdf electronic version, much easier to find things , you can place it into your dropbox and access it on the run, on you iPad, iPhone, laptop etc.
11-03-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are just starting out with a DSLR it might help to get a basic
s book like this Amphoto Book: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: 9780817439392

Then use the manual to learn about specific camera functions.
11-03-2014, 11:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Play with the camera > check the manual > ask here (or the other way round :P)
Be patient and enjoy , the K3 can be complex coming from a Point&Shoot

11-04-2014, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #8

I found these recommended settings to be helpful.

Review: Pentax K-3 - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
11-04-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Helpful hint is to use the green button. It resets thing back to neutral so to speak. Say you use the exposure comp button and go +1 ev. Holding the exposure comp button down and hitting green button resets to zero. One of the best things about pentax cameras.
11-04-2014, 02:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hopefully you haven't got the same issue as I had with my k-50 it was unpredictable in its issues with not shutting off and only way I could get it to turn off was with removing the battery. It got sent away only to be sent back with no fault found. It then proceeded to do it three more times whilst on holiday the only way we got a response was videoing the issue and sending it to the Aussie rep which in turn sent us a new k-50. So if it continues video it and send it to the pentax folks.

As for q2 read lots play lots and ask lots the folks here are a fountain of knowledge and congrats on taking the big step that was me only a few months back and can't imagine going back to point and shoot the time and effort you put in will show in your pictures I must say the first couple of weeks were giving me some interesting shots by the time you take in your ISO, F stop and shutter speed and actually get the shot but the more you use it the more natural it will all be. Most of all have fun!!!

Last edited by Sorver; 11-04-2014 at 02:38 AM.
11-04-2014, 03:05 AM   #11

Although I have had the camera freeze like that a few times in the last 10 months, I would say you were unlucky to have had it happen so quickly. I suppose it is possible that your K-3 is more unreliable, so keep a note of its behaviour in case it needs returning.
It is a complicated camera to understand how to operate all its functions, compared to the K100D I had before. The manual does not help as much as it should. It took me a few months to start getting comfortable with the my K-3. Reading and searching through these forums helped me alot.

John.
11-04-2014, 03:08 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by freerider Quote
I found these recommended settings to be helpful.

Review: Pentax K-3 - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I second this! It's an amazing page.
11-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep an eye on the problem and remember your warranty period. If there's something wrong, you definitely want to take care of it within warranty.

I like TAv mode - front wheel is shutter speed, rear is aperture. That takes care of most adjustments you need in normal use. I set on center-weighted metering, center focus point but the K3's focus is different than my K5. Technique is the same, though. Adjust aperture to where you want - depending on conditions - and then adjust shutter speed for a good exposure. Then it's a balancing act based on available light, subject movement and the effect you're after.
11-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Be glad you didn't get a K5. The manual was much thicker and bigger... and more comprehensive. The K3 manual leaves a lot to be desired and really is only good for reference, as noted above.

And welcome to the K3! It's an amazing camera.
11-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I go with

1. Read/skim manual with camera in hand to get a basic familiarity.
2. Take pictures. If all is awesome, hooray, but most likely head to step 3.
3. Figure out what went wrong with pictures - post samples here if necessary, include the pictures with exif intact and what you don't like about them.
4. Go back to manual to figure out how to fix camera settings if necessary. Then head back to step 2.

You can get a pdf of your manual here: Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING maybe not as nice to sit and read as a physical copy, but much nicer if you're searching for a term.

Above all, have fun