Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
I don't know if this helps but I have had problems with any SD brand other than Sandisk with Nikon (D7000 and D7100) and Pentax (K30 and K3 ). My compact cameras can take pretty much any brand but the DSLRs seem very picky.

So for me it's only Sandisk now.
Yeah probably me too. Since with my 32GB Sandisk I haven't got any trouble since I bought my first Pentax, a K20D, I think I'll buy another one, but with a faster write/read speed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I had a similar error with my K-3 and a Transcend 64Gb card yesterday. I shot a bunch of photos, downloaded them onto my computer via a card reader, all went well. Then I was just previewing the images on the card, in the computer, when all of a sudden I got a fatal error message (Windows 8.1) requiring a reboot of the computer. When I put that card back in the K-3 it said "can not write to card" so I figured it needed formatted again - did so, in the K-3, same error. On a lark I put the card in a Canon 70D, formatted it in camera, and it worked fine. Transferred it to the K-3 and voila! It worked absolutely fine.

Seems to me the issue is in Pentax/Ricoh's implementation of formatting.

*update*

Just did the same thing, uploaded images to a computer (this time a Chromebook) and when I put the card back in the K-3, it said "Card is not formatted".

*update 2*

Read a post on DPReview that helped. Put the card back in the computer, did a "eject" on the card, and now the K-3 recognizes it. How weird.
I'm happy that you were able to resolve it, but I can't even try to "eject" it from my macbook or imac because it won't show up anywhere, not even in Utility Disk. I'll try to borrow another DSLR and see what I can do. Thanks for sharing the link you found

11-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i've had similar issues with lexar cards and my k-30. Mine were 16gb though. It occasionally just refused to write to the card. I tried all the SD troubleshooting tips, including a block level re-format. Nothing. everything indicated the cards were perfectly fine. And they worked perfect in my Q and *istDs. So, i bought 2 sandisk cards for the K-30, and relegated the lexar's to the other camera's. The sandisk's work perfect in the K-30.
11-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put the card back in the computer, did a "eject" on the card, and now the K-3 recognizes it. How weird.
Do yourself a favor and always do an "eject" (unmount) before removing the card. Doing so makes sure that all files are properly closed with all housekeeping being done (removal of OS temporary files).

Steve
11-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Do yourself a favor and always do an "eject" (unmount) before removing the card. Doing so makes sure that all files are properly closed with all housekeeping being done (removal of OS temporary files).

Steve
I can only speak for myself, but before SDXC and my K-3, I never did that, and never had a single problem, pulling the card whenever I am done.

11-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

pulling the card whenever I am done
Always risky, IMHO. Sometimes you may be done, but the computer may not be.
11-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #21

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/239808-newbie-needs-help-k30.html

Lexar, Samsung, Sony SD cards are having issue on some Pentax cameras.

Last edited by lawjie; 11-11-2014 at 03:14 PM.
11-11-2014, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Pentax currently say this about memory cards for the K-3:

QuoteQuote:
K-3 Memory Card Q&A

Q: Which SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards have been tested for compatibility with the K-3?

A: Compatibility with the K-3 has been tested with memory cards from the below manufacturers.

- Panasonic, Toshiba, and SanDisk
SD Memory Cards with capacities of 1 GB and 2 GB
SDHC Memory Cards with capacities of 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB
SDXC Memory Cards with capacities of 64 GB

- SanDisk
SDXC Memory Cards with capacities of 128 GB
In the past (eg for the K-x) Pentax also indicated that they had only tested Toshiba, Panasonic and SanDisk for compatibility. So if in doubt, and for maximum reliability and compatibility, stick to Toshiba, Panasonic and Sandisk.

Note that now you can probably also expand any list of 'tested and compatible' to EyeFi and FluCard, since the SD cards of both get a mention in the Pentax manuals nowadays.

11-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pentax currently say this about memory cards for the K-3:

In the past (eg for the K-x) Pentax also indicated that they had only tested Toshiba, Panasonic and SanDisk for compatibility. So if in doubt, and for maximum reliability and compatibility, stick to Toshiba, Panasonic and Sandisk.

Note that now you can probably also expand any list of 'tested and compatible' to EyeFi and FluCard, since the SD cards of both get a mention in the Pentax manuals nowadays.
Usually for every tech related purchase I try to gather as much information as I can in order not to regret it later. As I sad I'm a newbie when talking about memory card and I thought that every SD was the same except for write/read speed and security protocol. Well, now that I know I think I'll remind myself to check the official support page of the dslr.
Thank you very much
11-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can only speak for myself, but before SDXC and my K-3, I never did that, and never had a single problem, pulling the card whenever I am done.
It is never too late to start a good habit.

Steve