Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 and FA lenses - aperture ring setting / focus ring

I understood that to enable the shutter function if the aperture ring is in other than "A" position on FA lenses, I have to turn it on in menu (C4/27.) Does this enable the function of the aperture ring, or does it only release the shutter activity?

Next question is concerning the focus ring... How dangerous would it be to turn it accidentally, when the camera is in AF mode? Is there a different "danger level" when the camera is ON or OFF?

11-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Does this enable the function of the aperture ring, or does it only release the shutter activity?
I guess you could say it allows the camera to understand that a non 'A' lens is attached. otherwise it just flashes F___ and does nothing. The aperture ring is part of the lens and will work regardless of any settings in the camera but if the camera does not understand it then the result will not be what you intended.

How dangerous would it be to turn it accidentally, when the camera is in AF mode? Is there a different "danger level" when the camera is ON or OFF?
Not recommended. You are turning the focusing mechanism and gearing all the way back to and including the AF drive motor in the camera. Not sure I know personally of anyone who has trashed a camera doing so but in general it is considered a 'bad thing'.
11-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I understood that to enable the shutter function if the aperture ring is in other than "A" position on FA lenses, I have to turn it on in menu (C4/27.) Does this enable the function of the aperture ring, or does it only release the shutter activity?
You do not need to enable the aperture ring to use FA lenses unless you intend to use the lens with the ring off the "A" position. When the aperture ring is in the "A" position, FA series lenses fully support all functions on the K-3.

Next question is concerning the focus ring... How dangerous would it be to turn it accidentally, when the camera is in AF mode? Is there a different "danger level" when the camera is ON or OFF?
Never intentionally attempt manual focus with an FA-series lens when AF is switched on. Doing so stresses the focus mechanism of both camera and lens. This is true for all K-mount AF lenses except those having the "quick shift" feature.

Steve
11-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be nice if there was some failsafe with AF, someway to prevent MF if it is not allowed. I certainly
didn't quite understand this restriction and many a time when I first got my K10D, (my first AF camera), in 2007,
I would instinctively try to manually focus my 18-55 or Sigma 70mm macro. Never caused any damage but it
did take quite a while to become accustomed to a 'no touch' policy with AF.

11-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You do not need to enable the aperture ring to use FA lenses unless you intend to use the lens with the ring off the "A" position. When the aperture ring is in the "A" position, FA series lenses fully support all functions on the K-3.

So if I enable it in menu and turn the ring away from the A position, I can set aperture by the ring instead of camera wheel?

And do I have to disable this in menu everytime I dismount FA lens and put on DA lens? Or it may simply stay on?
11-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So if I enable it in menu and turn the ring away from the A position, I can set aperture by the ring instead of camera wheel?

Yes.

And do I have to disable this in menu everytime I dismount FA lens and put on DA lens? Or it may simply stay on?
Nope, it can stay on. I'm not really sure why it's even an option we have to enable.
11-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Nope, it can stay on. I'm not really sure why it's even an option we have to enable.
I enabled the option as soon as I got my K-3 and have never changed it. The same with all my previous Pentax DSLRs. I use everything from old Taks to new DAs. It definitely seems like a silly option to me as well, unless it does something to the contacts on the lens mount that shuts them of when no lens contacts are present or some other crazy thing.
11-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chimpwithagun Quote
I enabled the option as soon as I got my K-3 and have never changed it.
I did the same thing. There is no really good reason to have it disabled.

Steve

11-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you enable it in the menu and turn the ring away from the A position, then you MUST set the aperture by the ring -- the control wheel on the body cannot set the aperture on the lens, when it is in that mode.

Furthermore, the body won't be able to detect what aperture you set on the lens ring. So to get the proper exposure, you have to use stop-down metering, or a separate light meter, or a number of other workarounds to get the exposure right.

There is no advantage to using an FA lens in the non-A position, there is just reduced functionality. This is why the general recommendation is to just leave it in the "A" position.
11-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have said in A position the lens meters just like any other modern lens and sets aperture when appropriate.
11-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
There is no advantage to using an FA lens in the non-A position, there is just reduced functionality.
The only time you might want to take the aperture ring off the A position is when shooting on a bellows, non-A extension tubes, non-A tele-converter, or with the lens reversed.

Steve