Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #1

First day of shooting with the K-3

My first day out and about with my K-3, and first time ever out shooting with a DSLR. Very fun. All pics taken on the Tiger Mountain Trail, Issaquah, WA

Attached Images

11-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good work! I like the K-3 sign
11-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice mushroom shots and welcome to Pentax. Where is that fascinating K3 trail?
11-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess you used the green mode, right? When you will start to use Av, TAv and manual you will have either more fun! Enjoy your great camera!

11-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Looks lush... looks like a great start
11-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
I guess you used the green mode, right? When you will start to use Av, TAv and manual you will have either more fun! Enjoy your great camera!
No, I didn't use the Green Mode as I don't know what that is yet :-) The Pacific NW just has amazing colors, and what ya see is pretty much what ya get :-) It's beautiful out here :-)

And the K-3 trail is one of my favorites. Coincidence? I think not ;-)
11-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

The "green mode" has nothing to do with the colour green, or your rendering of it. It's just the fully automatic mode on Pentax cameras; see the mode dial on top left. For example, Tv allows you to select the exposure time, and the camera then sets the aperture. Conversely, in Av you set the Aperture and the camera automatically sets the shutter speed. And so on. I personally recommend P mode (Program), that allows you to access either Tv or Av using the front and back wheels.

Enjoy your new camera.
11-06-2014, 01:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Congratulations! And lot of fun!

11-06-2014, 01:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote

The "green mode" has nothing to do with the colour green, or your rendering of it. It's just the fully automatic mode on Pentax cameras; see the mode dial on top left. For example, Tv allows you to select the exposure time, and the camera then sets the aperture. Conversely, in Av you set the Aperture and the camera automatically sets the shutter speed. And so on. I personally recommend P mode (Program), that allows you to access either Tv or Av using the front and back wheels.

Enjoy your new camera.
What he said.
11-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work! A new camera just in time for autumn, gotta love that.

You're going to enjoy learning the DSLR. I'll add my two cents - TAv mode is what I find most convenient to balance control and speed.
11-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, TAv is good; it's a Pentax specialty. You manually set both shutter speed and aperture, and the camera adjusts sensitivity (ISO) to give you the correct exposure. I use TAv in my "Bird in Flight" user preset mode (U1). However, for general purpose, I prefer to keep more direct control of ISO, which is why I like P mode (usually with me selecting ISO rather than leaving it on auto). A new user can have fun trying out the various modes in different conditions and deciding which suits them best.

Unfortunately, the K3 manual is terse in the extreme. The K5 manual was far bigger and better. There is enough similarity between the two cameras for the K5 manual (downloadable) to still be relevant, especially as regards shooting modes (see pages 100-116), which haven't changed.