Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
We anxiously await your report. We have voted and it is your turn to take one for the team.
Sorry guys, just went nuts on ebay. Bought a 100D with 18-55 for my son as a starter and scored an F SMC 70-210, 2.8 28A, 200M and a 50 f2 Ricoh. Done for the month. Someone else has to be the goat.

11-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

The Vivitar is the same lens. Usual Samyang quality control iffiness though -- I exchanged mine three times before I got a copy I'm happy with. The current $199 deal is very good though. (Amazon and B&H)
11-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
I did a week ago, and it's great! Now I just need a Samyang/Rokinon/Bower to compare it too...

I'm sure it's the same lens. It had a version 2 released in 2010, just like the Samyang did. It even has the same nomenclature on the barrel as the version 2 Samyang (ED AS IF UMC). It looks the same in every photo. And then there's this: "Vivitar Series 1 13mm f/2.8 (rebadged Samyang 14mm f/2.8, released in 2010)" Vivitar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bottom line, it's a great lens and for that price you can't go wrong.
Let's see some pics from it.
11-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I had the Nikon version and it was extremely sharp -- I would have that lens again but for the fact that I have the equally stunning Nikkor 14-24mm. As a side note, I have the Samyang/Rokinon 8mm and it too is quite sharp. As a test, I "fitted" it onto my K-3 and the images were razor sharp. I'm a big fan of Samyang/Rokinon. I don't think you can go wrong.

M

12-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rokinon 14: All right so far

I have read that at least one rental shop considers the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower a "semi-disposable" lens, in that they're put together with glue and plastic and won't really hold up to hard use. That said, they're sharp, they're fast, and for the price you can replace it now and then if you have to.

Mine just arrived -- haven't even had a chance to really test it yet -- and I plan to baby it as much as possible. For me a $300 lens is really expensive, I'm one of those guys who scours eBay for old manual glass.

In fact that's a big reason why I went Pentax in the first place.

rw
12-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fewayne Quote
I have read that at least one rental shop considers the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower a "semi-disposable" lens, in that they're put together with glue and plastic and won't really hold up to hard use. That said, they're sharp, they're fast, and for the price you can replace it now and then if you have to.

Mine just arrived -- haven't even had a chance to really test it yet -- and I plan to baby it as much as possible. For me a $300 lens is really expensive, I'm one of those guys who scours eBay for old manual glass.

In fact that's a big reason why I went Pentax in the first place.
Check for decentering -- look for "smeariness" or excessive aberration that only happens in one or two corners. As I said, I had to get three copies to get a really good one (at least for the crop sensor, who knows what I'll find on a full-frame)...
12-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Check for decentering -- look for "smeariness" or excessive aberration that only happens in one or two corners. As I said, I had to get three copies to get a really good one (at least for the crop sensor, who knows what I'll find on a full-frame)...
Well, at a quick look I think I'm doing OK. Nothing very quantitative, just taped a couple of sheets of newspaper to a cupboard door (at that, not a flat one) and blasted away.

Think the corners are doing OK, but don't really have much basis for comparison, either. I clipped out the corners and jammed 'em into one PS doc. No sharpening.

---------- Post added 12-05-14 at 16:52 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fewayne Quote
Well, at a quick look I think I'm doing OK. Nothing very quantitative, just taped a couple of sheets of newspaper to a cupboard door (at that, not a flat one) and blasted away.

Think the corners are doing OK, but don't really have much basis for comparison, either. I clipped out the corners and jammed 'em into one PS doc. No sharpening.
Just did a slightly better test (flatter wall) with very similar results. Hard to do the same at infinity focus unless you're shooting something REALLY BIG. :-)

Last edited by fewayne; 12-05-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Re-adding image link
12-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #23
Forum Member

When I received my Samyang 14, it was so-so... Did some test and the results were not too sharp, though not that bad either. Took me a little time to find out that this is quite a common problem with this lens though luckily it has an easy fix. Indeed I did calibrate the focus at infinity (you just have to play with three little screws) and... Voila! My copy is now very, very sharp, even wide open. I did an extensive comparison test with my da 12 24 (which I did sell) and the Samyang was a lot sharper across the whole frame for each f stop. Only cons: pretty important distortion, moustache-like.
All considered, it is one of my preferred lenses.

PS. The fish eye 8mm is next on my list, I will buy it soon.

PPS. With the K3, centering the focus at infinity is very simple. This is because we can zoom-in in live view, so getting a precise focus is a piece of cake. With other cameras, I guess, better using a teleconverter.

Last edited by vrolok; 12-06-2014 at 01:47 AM.