Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #1

Rokinon FE14M-P 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide for K-3?

Hi all,

Thinking of picking up the Rokinon FE14M-P 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens for landscape shots, and wondering if any of you are using that lens on your K-3 and if so, what do you think?
It would be my first wide angle. I take a lot of mountain photography and am interested in astrophotography. I read that the barrel distortion isn't hard to correct in Lightroom. Appreciate any feedback :-)

11-06-2014, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You might consider the Vivitar. Vivitar Series 1 13mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide Aspherical Lens VIV13MMP
I have heard they are quite good and a lot cheaper. Supposedly made by Sammy
Attached Images

11-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trailrunner, in that price range, I would seriously consider the Pentax DA 12-24. I have one, and I love it. There are some images on my Flickr site listed in my signature that show both the good and the bad.
11-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
You might consider the Vivitar. Vivitar Series 1 13mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide Aspherical Lens VIV13MMP
Isn't that the same lens?

11-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
Isn't that the same lens?
SamYang/ Rokinon/ Vivitar/ Bower etc are indeed all the same. SamYangs with different labels.
11-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Trailrunner, in that price range, I would seriously consider the Pentax DA 12-24. I have one, and I love it. There are some images on my Flickr site listed in my signature that show both the good and the bad.
Canada_Rockies - thanks for the reply. I'm confused though, when I research the Pentax DA 12-24, I see it listed at around $900. The Rokinon is $300. The Vivitar gets pretty bad reviews by and large.
11-08-2014, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #7

I have the Bower version and love it! When I bought it the focus ring wasn't calibrated properly, but after disassembling the lens and putting it back together with the necessary adjustments (really easy to do, there are online tutorials, because it's a pretty common problem), it is now sharp as a tack with a hard infinity focus bump - very handy for dark night photography. If you can deal with manual focus, you cannot go wrong with this lens! Some people have complained about flare issues, but even shooting into the sun I haven't had any major problems with it. The coating works like a charm. Here are some sample shots in a variety of lighting situations:

11-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #8

nice pics...what is the difference between the Roki and the ViVi image quality wise?
11-14-2014, 02:14 AM   #9

you have my attention
11-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Krusty Surfer Quote
nice pics...what is the difference between the Roki and the ViVi image quality wise?
They are the same lens - all are produced by Samyang. The Vivitars often have a cosmetically distinctive look - essentially different rubber and barrel paint.

It is a good lens in almost all respects. The barrel distortion is very apparent, but pleasing IMHO. Not good for architecture, but then again perspective is easily corrected with good software.

As a full frame, the lens is huge, and markedly front heavy. Optically, it has been shown to be much closer to the Zeiss 15mm IQ than the Sigma - which in turn is far superior to the Pentax 14mm. However, if I was buying a lens to carry up a mountain, it would be the Pentax 15mm which is quite close to the Samyang in IQ overall (the Pentax is possibly slightly less sharp, but probably a tad better in contrast and color rendition).
11-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
They are the same lens - all are produced by Samyang. The Vivitars often have a cosmetically distinctive look - essentially different rubber and barrel paint.

It is a good lens in almost all respects. The barrel distortion is very apparent, but pleasing IMHO. Not good for architecture, but then again perspective is easily corrected with good software.

As a full frame, the lens is huge, and markedly front heavy. Optically, it has been shown to be much closer to the Zeiss 15mm IQ than the Sigma - which in turn is far superior to the Pentax 14mm. However, if I was buying a lens to carry up a mountain, it would be the Pentax 15mm which is quite close to the Samyang in IQ overall (the Pentax is possibly slightly less sharp, but probably a tad better in contrast and color rendition).
The Vivitar is actually quite a bit cheaper than the Rokinon/Samyang versions. $199 vs around $300. If it's really the same it's a fantastic deal.
11-15-2014, 05:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I wish someone would buy a Vivitar and test it so we all would know if it is the same as the others. Then we could all go out and buy one. Who is going to be the sucker?
11-15-2014, 06:07 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish someone would buy a Vivitar and test it so we all would know if it is the same as the others. Then we could all go out and buy one. Who is going to be the sucker?
We anxiously await your report. We have voted and it is your turn to take one for the team.
11-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I did a week ago, and it's great! Now I just need a Samyang/Rokinon/Bower to compare it too...

I'm sure it's the same lens. It had a version 2 released in 2010, just like the Samyang did. It even has the same nomenclature on the barrel as the version 2 Samyang (ED AS IF UMC). It looks the same in every photo. And then there's this: "Vivitar Series 1 13mm f/2.8 (rebadged Samyang 14mm f/2.8, released in 2010)" Vivitar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bottom line, it's a great lens and for that price you can't go wrong.
11-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
I did a week ago, and it's great! Now I just need a Samyang/Rokinon/Bower to compare it too...

I'm sure it's the same lens. It had a version 2 released in 2010, just like the Samyang did. It even has the same nomenclature on the barrel as the version 2 Samyang (ED AS IF UMC). It looks the same in every photo. And then there's this: "Vivitar Series 1 13mm f/2.8 (rebadged Samyang 14mm f/2.8, released in 2010)" Vivitar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bottom line, it's a great lens and for that price you can't go wrong.
It is the same as you deduce. The Vivitar has been sitting on the shelves for years because it was priced higher than the others. There is a very slight chance that the coatings are different, but that would be the extent of it. When you look at the 8mm rebrandings, some are claimed at as low as 6.5mm. When you take into account the significant barrel perspective, the lenses are hard to rate - and the 14mm units do take in a bit more in the corners so 13mm might be closer than 14mm in reality. In any event, the stated specs in terms of FoV and size and weight indicate these lenses are all from the same source.