Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northern California
Posts: 109
Setting custom bracket intervals

So I was reading this article todayThe Optimum Digital Exposure. Essentially, the writer says to set the following bracket: +1.3EV, +.6EV, and +2.0EV to get the optimum exposure to capture all scene data, then in post process choose the one with whites closest to 99% and adjust to bring your dark levels back down.

I want to try this out. Is there a way to set a custom exposure bracket to use those EV settings instead of 0,+,-?

11-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,593
QuoteOriginally posted by scotty707 Quote
So I was reading this article todayThe Optimum Digital Exposure. Essentially, the writer says to set the following bracket: +1.3EV, +.6EV, and +2.0EV to get the optimum exposure to capture all scene data, then in post process choose the one with whites closest to 99% and adjust to bring your dark levels back down.

I want to try this out. Is there a way to set a custom exposure bracket to use those EV settings instead of 0,+,-?
You can try setting a global adjustment for EV, which is +0.7 if you're working in thirds of stops and then bracket -2, 0, +2, which will ultimately give you -1.3, +0.7, +2.7
It's not exactly what you're after, but at least on my camera (K-01) bracketing can only be symmetrical (+-1, +-1.3, +-1.7, +-2 etc.).
Advanced cameras have advanced bracketing capabilities, and can bracket more than 3 shots.
Don't know on the K-5II or the K-3, for instance.
11-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
skunktail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, NSW
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 287
I haven't tried this, so I don't really know if it will work.

Bracketing with 2/3 of a stop between exposures and
a +1-1/3 exposure compensation would give you the above.

it might be worth a try.
Good luck.
11-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
As noted above, set your intervals to what you want, then use exposure compensation to adjust so you get the exposures you want. That's what I do on my k-3, works fine. Until you forget you have exposure comp dialed up by two or three stops when you stop bracketing.

11-06-2014, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,329
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
As noted above, set your intervals to what you want, then use exposure compensation to adjust so you get the exposures you want. That's what I do on my k-3, works fine. Until you forget you have exposure comp dialed up by two or three stops when you stop bracketing.
I have deselected the memory for the exposure comp so that when you turn it off it goes back to zero.
11-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I have deselected the memory for the exposure comp so that when you turn it off it goes back to zero.
Duh..... Why didn't I think of that? Oh, probably because on the k-5 series I always used +2/3 EV. Don't use any on the k-3 so this will work now.
Thanks!
11-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,011
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I have deselected the memory for the exposure comp so that when you turn it off it goes back to zero.
Ooh, good tip.

There are a few cameras like my Nikon P7700 where it's a dial at the top that is forever getting moved when brushed against, taken out of a bag, etc ....
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bracket, custom, dslr, exposure, k-3, k3, pentax k-3
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Most used/best Custom Image setting for K-3? Luuk Photographic Technique 4 08-16-2014 07:27 AM
Custom Image (setting - question) ? Michael Piziak Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 06-21-2014 01:47 PM
k-30 in camera custom image setting mtkang Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 5 05-03-2014 09:26 AM
Auto Bracket Intervals for KM/2000 Cactisboy Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 07-27-2009 04:08 PM
Setting custom white balance. Deni Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 07-15-2007 04:05 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top