Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #31
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxaholic Quote
I will tell you about my experience purchasing the K3 and hopefully it will ERASE your fears and you will JUMP on the bandwagon!

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the detailed story. It does help.

---------- Post added 08-11-14 at 01:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
In my experience with the K3 I havent experienced any crazy "mirror problem" .. i did experience an small delay shooting with TTL.. JUST TTL.. if you switch it to manual the delay is gone.. and is not that the delay is going to affect the quality of the shot.. is just that takes a fraction of a second to fire.. This isnt such a big problem for some shooting, it might be a little problem if you take pics of fast moving objects but as i said, switch it to manual and the problem is gone.

So.. go for it, there is nothing to be afraid..
Thanks for the info, but just to make a point: I have a bit of a problem going manual. Given that we complain about Pentax TTL being somewhat behind Canikon's, going manual is hardly the equalizer. Also, manual is not the obvious choice when you just want to get a shot quickly.

---------- Post added 08-11-14 at 01:05 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
OTOH, here is a thread with over 11,000 posts detailing many reasons why someone should not buy a K-3. After all, the destiny of Tokyo is at state.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239325-why-i-wont-buy-k3-w...re-thread.html

Steve

Steve
Ha, I used to follow that thread, just for fun. I gave up eventually.

11-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I bought a K-3 on the recent Adorama deal and received an early unit (firmware 1.0) that suffered from the flash lag issue, even after updating the firmware. They accepted a return and prvided me with a unit form a newer run (Firmware 1.11), and it behaves correctly. I'd recommend that wherever you end up buying it form that you verify that it is from one of the more recent production runs, as they don't seem to have had as many problems.
where would one look for those numbers? i just bought mine too...............
11-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Krusty Surfer Quote
where would one look for those numbers? i just bought mine too...............

Menu, Wrench Icon, Page 4.......
11-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really, there have been very few cameras with problems. I am one of the early buyers and non of the reported issues have shown up in over 10,000 photos. If you follow gadget forums (tablets, computers, cameras etc.) on the internet you will see that every product has people who are unhappy with product or service problems. Those problems are usually real and annoying for the ones having them but usually very few buyers are affected. I am typing this on a DELL XPS 15 which has received some scathing reviews on the Dell site. I have found it to be a wonderful computer which performs just as advertised. Please look at the whole of Pentax Forums to see that most of us are very pleased with the K-3. Odds are you will also love it.

11-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Menu, Wrench Icon, Page 4.......
To see which version of firmware is on your K3
Navigate: menu-scroll to tool icon scroll to page 4 scroll down to... firmware-scroll right with toggle it will show what version of firmware is installed.

---------- Post added 11-08-14 at 09:57 AM ----------

QuoteQuote:
Thanks for the detailed story. It does help.
You are welcome, I hope it helps a lot of people calm their fears and quell the "mirror flap hysteria"!

Last edited by Pentaxaholic; 11-08-2014 at 08:48 AM.
11-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Mirror flop should not be a problem in a new version of firmware. I had his problem before but with the new firmware it looks like k-3 works perfectly. I am so happy with this camera.
11-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gzub Quote
Mirror flop should not be a problem in a new version of firmware. I had his problem before but with the new firmware it looks like k-3 works perfectly. I am so happy with this camera.
That's great news!

11-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #38

I took my K-3 into Norman Camera today *i have the 50mm f1.8 plasticofantastico* i asked to test a D7100 with 50mm f1.8 for some instore some test shooting-
F-STOP 1.8 BOTH LENSES
FINE JPG SETTINGS BOTH BODIES
FULL AUTO GREEN BOX ON DIAL BOTH BODIES
D7100 50mmf1.4
set up tripod on floor pointed at Bottles of *DUSTOFF* on a rack

took 15 photos on CH both bodies (nikon filled buffer quickly)

whatever Pentax did to the new batch of K-3's sent to Adorama at the end of October 2014 YOUR/MY PENTAX SMOKED THE D7100!
Image Quality is superb!
Burst rate is phenomenal!
Build quality bullet proof!
some aliasing in the Nikon images and aberrations too in high contrast area!
the Pentax K-3 was crisper with less noise
Autofocus is FAST FAST FAST! and I sure hit almost 13-15 shots tack sharp...new dampening system must work!
hand held in store i got my camera to shoot ISO200 shutter 200 f.5.6!
i took pics of Nikon lenses in there display case
Tack sharp and no Moir'e in the pattern of the barrel grip of the lens i focused on...will post pics later if i can find the time
the Tech at Norman Camera was very impressed...he still tried to sell me the D750 for $2200 though

interface...
i need to learn, i was crippled on the Pentax because i know Nikon format/controls, i need to spend a day reading and playing around on the K-3
The Pentax K-3 is a Race Car like when a Plymouth Barracuda Sleeper rolled up to a stop light against a Camero or Mustang... titles went to the Mopar...word traveled fast not to race a cuda
that's what i Dub my K-3... A Black and green 'Barracuda' of the camera world!
cant wait to capture and print some very large images!

Now if Sigma would just release that damn 18-300mm Sports lens in the Pentax mount Already! been waiting two weeks with no confirmation from Adorama or Sigma when the back ordered Lens will be finally released!
Aloha Timothy
11-12-2014, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #39
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I took my K-3 into Norman Camera today *i have the 50mm f1.8 plasticofantastico* i asked to test a D7100 with 50mm f1.8 for some instore some test shooting-...
Aloha Timothy
So, can we presume that you like your K3?
11-12-2014, 03:53 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
So, can we presume that you like your K3?

I bought K-3 about 2 months ago (switch from k20D). And after this two months i think it was pretty good decision. There are some things i don't like in K-3 but overall i'm very happy.
11-12-2014, 05:33 AM   #41

unless im dumb here is my gripe i might not know how to properly zoom body while in live view mood- i hit ok- zoom in- then when i hit the trigger halfway to focus the camera view backs back out of 'Live View zoom mode' and the focus points on whatever the camera decides ............i will try to figure out....not too huge a gripe but not as easy to compose as my Nikon d5100
im probably just missing something...
who is putting up a K-3 Tutorial Here on the forums?
Aloha
11-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #42
Banned

unless im dumb here is my gripe i might not know how to properly zoom body while in live view mood- i hit ok- zoom in- then when i hit the trigger halfway to focus the camera view backs back out of 'Live View zoom mode' and the focus points on whatever the camera decides ............i will try to figure out....not too huge a gripe but not as easy to compose as my Nikon d5100
im probably just missing something...
who is putting up a K-3 Tutorial Here on the forums?
Aloha

Try this: Capture Menu (camera icon), Page 4, "Button Customization", scroll right >, AF Button >,Scroll right > again, change AF1 to AF2, this takes auto focus away from the shutter button and places it solely on the AF button.

Hope this helps!
11-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #43
Banned

Buy it, it's a seriously good bit of kit.

I did have a mirror flop issue early in the piece, but only once and never again. By all accounts firmware has resolved the problem (unless someone has reported an occurrence with 1.11 that I haven't seen).

I use external flashes, and haven't encountered any lag. In fact I was blissfully unaware it was an issue until reading this thread.