Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 06:10 AM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

You will see little difference between a Sandisk Extreme vs Extreme Pro as far as camera write speeds are concerned.

John.

11-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
You will see little difference between a Sandisk Extreme vs Extreme Pro as far as camera write speeds are concerned.

John.
There is a user here who did a test with the K-3 and found a difference in the buffer clear write times between the cards.
The K-3 maxed out with the Extreme Plus and was faster than the Extreme.
Extreme Pro write speed was not maximized.
11-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
SanDisk cards are rarely on sale, at least where I live.
They are frequently on sale, here. I have several and NEVER pay full price.

Steve
11-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They are frequently on sale, here. I have several and NEVER pay full price.

Steve
Where do you see them frequently on sale? I've pretty much decided on the SanDisk Extreme Pro, just trying to find the best price as always.

Thanks everyone for the quick and informative help.

11-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The main reason why microSD is because I have had several SD cards mechanically die
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Using a microSD card just adds one more free connection point via the adapter that could fail.
I agree. Why swap one potential point of failure for two? In addition, each point of contact presents potential for signal degradation and lower speed. I might also mention that all better quality cards have lifetime warranty.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-11-2014 at 11:51 AM.
11-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you in the US?
This is a pretty good deal on the Plus, which is just under the PRO write speed but optimizes the K-3 card slot. SanDisk 16GB Extreme SDHC - UHS-I Memory Card -80MBS/sec - 2 Pack SDSDXS2-016G-X46
11-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnboyas Quote
Where do you see them frequently on sale?
Best Buy currently has San Disk Ultra, Ultra Plus, Extreme Plus, and Extreme Pro on sale.

Steve

11-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I agree. Why swap one potential point of failure for two? In addition, each point of contact presents potential for signal degradation and lower speed. I might also mention that all better quality cards have lifetime warranty.

Steve
Lifetime warranty... yes, most of my cards have that, and I have never once claimed the warranty, cause shipping costs would almost pay for a new card... And the fault usually results in it not working in some card readers, but still working in others, so they might reject the warranty claim.

The reason why I do this experiment is because the microSD cards themselves are very solid... it's really just a bit of thick, hard to break PCB it seems, no plastic bits that can break away. And they are cocooned in a cheap adapter, which, if broken, can be easily replaced. The SD cards that have fallen apart seem to be much flimsier inside the plastic casing... I'll have to open up one at some point...

Actually it would be kind of cool if a camera came with a microSD slot, or two, plus a couple of storage slots so you won't lose them. The only major advantage of SDs is that they are harder to lose.
11-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reason why I do this experiment is because the microSD cards themselves are very solid... it's really just a bit of thick, hard to break PCB it seems, no plastic bits that can break away.
I'll give you that, the whole SD card concept with case and lock switch is not robust at all.
11-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I'll give you that, the whole SD card concept with case and lock switch is not robust at all.
CF...that is robust!

Steve
11-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CF...that is robust!

Steve
But the docking pins used to break and bend.
11-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #27
PT1
Forum Member

I decided that spending lots on the very expensive cards was a waste (I don't take so many rapid photos that the buffer would fill up, so the SD card speed isn't important to me.)

Dual slots allow simultaneous backup (except video). I use different makes of card in each slot.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/266218-buffer-clear-time-m...-sd-cards.html

These things were worth the money though?
Stereo microphone - fits as-is without any adaptors: Dot.Foto MIC-109 Pro DV/Camera Stereo Microphone with: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Dead cat furry windshield: Hahnel DC100 Windshield for Mk100/Mk200 Microphone: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
I now leave the K-3 audio gain on manual to avoid ALC/AGC variations (noticed something weird when walking, maybe it was automatic gain control ramping up between footsteps?)

A pity there's no focus peaking option in video - it would be great to have a very easy to use focus peaking guide on the LCD to assist in manually focusing, silently without lens focus motor clicks.
11-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not taking rapid photos very often, but with the K3, I did buy Transcends UHS-3 cards which read at 95 and write at 60. They also sell ones that write at 85. I've found the cards I bought clear the buffer pretty quick. I usually only notice the buffer on bracketed shots, and it is much quicker than my initial use of my older SD cards when I received the K3.

Unlike others, Trasncend is the one brand besides Sandisk that I've had no problems with, so I didn't have any issues buying them over Sandisk if the deal is right. I don't feel a need to buy the high write speeds... yet. I'll probably get some of the higher speed cards as my needs grow and I use my K3 more, but I'm happy right now. I do like the fast read speeds as these are the first 90+ cards I've had and with the USB-3, I'm downloading to my computer faster than ever by quite a bit.
11-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
SanDisk Extreme Pro is well regarded and reliable. I have had excellent results with the PNY Elite Performance 64GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-1. It is among the fastest I have tested.
Me too.
11-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I use Sandisk Extreme Plus 32GB cards in my K-3. I've been real happy with them. Each 32GB card holds approximately 1000 RAW images. They are currently on sale through MicroCenter both in store and online.

SanDisk 32GB Class 10 Extreme Plus SDHC Flash Media Card SDSDXS-032G-A46 - Micro Center