Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 09:21 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 Goes on a Pizza Run

On my most recent motorcycle trip ("Life of Pie", a story about pizza) I had to carry everything in a backpack so I was severely restricted in what I could bring.

Gear of the Tour
by john m flores, on Flickr

Camerawise, I ended up with the K-3 with the DA*16-50 F2.8 as my main camera. I usually try to bring a K-mount backup (on the trip before, I had the K-01 as a backup), but this time I settle with the Pentax Q7 with 01 Prime as my sole backup, having been impressed with some shots I had made with it. Things were so tight that I didn't bring the K-3's battery charger, just 1 extra battery for 5 days on the road. I also had to leave behind my Metz flash which was a tough call because I knew that I'd be taking a lot of photos at night and in restaurants. I was really tempted to add the FA43 to my kit, but my bag was already 18# and I'd be wearing it 10+ hours a day*. Here's how the K-3 with DA*16-50 did:

ISO 3200

Sadly, I didn't try Mike's Calzones in Providence, RI. I was, after all, hunting for pizza.

ISO 4000

2014 Indian Scout Motorcycle Sleeps in the Garage

ISO 5000

Pizza Brain, Philadelphia PA

ISO 6400

Santarpio's Pizza

ISO 10000

ISO 12800

Di Fara Pizza, Brooklyn NY

Overall, I was very pleased with the combination. The K-3 performed without a hitch and with extra battery to spare, the AF worked in all the situations that I asked it to, and I renewed my faith in the DA*16-50. An extra stop of low light performance (either via faster but larger glass, better SR, or better sensor performance) would have been nice, but the combo got me shots that I'm comfortable sending to my publisher. Sure, there's some grain and a loss of color fidelity and dynamic range at the high end of ISO, but they're usable shots and most importantly, will help move the story forward.

The K-01 might have done the trick here as well, and it's marginally smaller than the K-3, but I suspect it would have struggled with AF under some of the dim light conditions I shot in. Likewise the K-5.

And for the record, Di Fara in Brooklyn was my favorite:

Could this be the best pizza ever?

* The backpack that I used has a unique harness system. Here's how it performed - TESTED: Kriega R25 Backpack - RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Touring & Travel Magazine

11-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll make sure to try out Di Fara's next time I head into Brooklyn. Great report!
11-13-2014, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Next time your in Goolwa let me know and I'll fire up the oven for you.....
11-13-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Thanks for sharing!

I really enjoyed the photos and the story

Wish there were more!

11-13-2014, 04:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice pics and story, as always.

How did the Q7 do?
11-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have suggested Crosby Pizza in the Bronx, I've eaten at Di Fara's ( I used to work in that part of Brooklyn) but I think Crosby's is better. Be that it may, Di Fara's still makes a damn good pie. BTW nice story and pics.

NaCl(NYC pie is still the best in the world)H2O
11-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great article. I miss NYC pizza

11-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I second that motion!
11-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Next time your in Goolwa let me know and I'll fire up the oven for you.....
I'll have to look up where Goolwa is first, but I'll let you know if I'm ever there!

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed the photos and the story Wish there were more!
More photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmflores/sets/72157648779990942/

Working on the story now. Will share when it's published.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Nice pics and story, as always.

How did the Q7 do?
TBH it didn't get used a whole lot-only for POV shots:

Exploring Cape Cod with the 2015 Indian Scout

Eastern Connecticut with the 2015 Indian Scout

The Indian Scout in particular was a challenge because big v-twins tend to vibrate more than other motors. I got a lot of jello in my shots as a result. But I did get some good ones, and they're always popular.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'll make sure to try out Di Fara's next time I head into Brooklyn. Great report!
Pro Tip: If you get a pie, you'll be tempted to wolf it down once it's served since you're likely to wait an hour or more. Don't. Let the pie cool for like 5 minutes so that the cheese hardens and the crust settles. If you eat it too soon it's too hot and too gooey to really appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I would have suggested Crosby Pizza in the Bronx, I've eaten at Di Fara's ( I used to work in that part of Brooklyn) but I think Crosby's is better. Be that it may, Di Fara's still makes a damn good pie. BTW nice story and pics.

NaCl(NYC pie is still the best in the world)H2O
Funny, but I'm now obsessed with good pizza. I'll add Crosby to the bucket list. Thx.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I second that motion!
Yeah. Santarpio's in Boston was great too. As is New Haven pizza. But NYC pizza is the home team.
11-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
On my most recent motorcycle trip ("Life of Pie", a story about pizza) I had to carry everything in a backpack so I was severely restricted in what I could bring.

Gear of the Tour

Camerawise, I ended up with the K-3 with the DA*16-50 F2.8 as my main camera. I usually try to bring a K-mount backup (on the trip before, I had the K-01 as a backup), but this time I settle with the Pentax Q7 with 01 Prime as my sole backup, having been impressed with some shots I had made with it. Things were so tight that I didn't bring the K-3's battery charger, just 1 extra battery for 5 days on the road. I also had to leave behind my Metz flash which was a tough call because I knew that I'd be taking a lot of photos at night and in restaurants. I was really tempted to add the FA43 to my kit, but my bag was already 18# and I'd be wearing it 10+ hours a day*. Here's how the K-3 with DA*16-50 did:

ISO 3200

Sadly, I didn't try Mike's Calzones in Providence, RI. I was, after all, hunting for pizza.

ISO 4000

2014 Indian Scout Motorcycle Sleeps in the Garage

ISO 5000

ISO 6400

Santarpio's Pizza

ISO 10000

ISO 12800

Overall, I was very pleased with the combination. The K-3 performed without a hitch and with extra battery to spare, the AF worked in all the situations that I asked it to, and I renewed my faith in the DA*16-50. An extra stop of low light performance (either via faster but larger glass, better SR, or better sensor performance) would have been nice, but the combo got me shots that I'm comfortable sending to my publisher. Sure, there's some grain and a loss of color fidelity and dynamic range at the high end of ISO, but they're usable shots and most importantly, will help move the story forward.

The K-01 might have done the trick here as well, and it's marginally smaller than the K-3, but I suspect it would have struggled with AF under some of the dim light conditions I shot in. Likewise the K-5.

And for the record, Di Fara in Brooklyn was my favorite:

Could this be the best pizza ever?

* The backpack that I used has a unique harness system. Here's how it performed - TESTED: Kriega R25 Backpack - RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Touring & Travel Magazine
it's lunch time..that sure looks good!!!
11-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Nice stuff John. Pizza is one thing I can never get enough of, I even make my own at home. I have found that in my area there is only one place that makes really good pizza, http://www.saharapizza.com/ . The dough is made fresh daily from raw ingrediants, and the toppings are always fresh too.

When I was driving a truck one of the customers for the carrier I drove for is a manufacturer of commercial wood fired pizza ovens. I delivered pizza ovens to every corner of the US and many places in Canada. You can find out more about them here: Pizza Oven Equipment | Wood Pizza Ovens | Gas Pizza Ovens

And here is a shot of my truck while waiting to deliver one in downtown Dallas:

And early the next morning in San Antonio. This was at a place that used to be some kind of mill, that had been re-purposed as a shopping mall with restaurnts:

I delivered one in downtown Austin. The delivery location was to the left in the photos, the courthouse and police station to the right. The customer did not get a permit to close the street, and when I parked my truck it essentially blocked it. It didn't take long before the local police were there, ready to write tickets.

I deferred to the job site manager, and pointed out that if I had to leave and return later that double delivery charges would be incurred. Amazing how quickly a 10,000lb pizza oven can get unloaded when it will cost more to get it unloaded.

The lump under the tarp on the back of the trailer is an oven that I delivered to a university in Superior Wisconsin. I had stopped in Eastern Montana for a lunch break and snapped a quick shot. The other stuff on the wagon is 3 bases for rock crushing machinery headed for Terex in Cedar Rapids Iowa.

11-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots, thanks for sharing.

And it warms the heart to see real pizza ovens in use.
11-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice article, John, and a good demonstration of the K-3's low-light capability. I've been impressed with the combination it makes with the DA*16-50/2.8, too.

Good pizza is a wonderful thing, but I can't help wondering about the new Indian motorcycles. What did you think of the Scout? I'm told my grandfather rode one of the originals, but he died when my father was seven, so I never got to see it or him.
11-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

John, your photo essays are always inspiring. Worst thing is you are reawakening a desire to get a motorcycle after 40 years. Your rides look like such fun!
11-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Great shots John, it's amazing how all Pizza people look the same. Those images could have been taken at the little Pizza place in my town.