Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #1

New K3 owner

Hey Guys,
Just saying hello as i picked up my new K3 today. I'm coming from a Fuji XPro1 and i'm pretty excited about this camera and its capabilities. I picked it up with a 35 mm f2.4 lens (hopefully a good starting choice) to try it out and learn the camera. After spending a few minutes with the camera, i already love its handling, built and responsiveness.

When i got this camera my thoughts were to go back to basics and stick with a set of 3-4 prime lenses instead of zooms. Do you have an opinion on that? What's good out there in the lens department? or is this a silly choice and i should get some nice zooms.

Look forward to contributing to this community,

Paul

11-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psamoluk Quote
Hey Guys, Just saying hello as i picked up my new K3 today. I'm coming from a Fuji XPro1 and i'm pretty excited about this camera and its capabilities. I picked it up with a 35 mm f2.4 lens (hopefully a good starting choice) to try it out and learn the camera. After spending a few minutes with the camera, i already love its handling, built and responsiveness. When i got this camera my thoughts were to go back to basics and stick with a set of 3-4 prime lenses instead of zooms. Do you have an opinion on that? What's good out there in the lens department? or is this a silly choice and i should get some nice zooms. Look forward to contributing to this community, Paul
K3 is a great camera and the 35mm f2.4 is an amazing lens for the price, my most used lens. I'm not sure what to recommend for future lenses, but probably sooner or later you'll want something to match the resolving power of the K3. Maybe get a decent zoom (16-50, the new 16-85 or some 17-70 Sigma) and see what focal length you tend to use the most, and then get some more primes matching that focal? Don't forget that you will also need a good tripod at some point
11-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

When i got this camera my thoughts were to go back to basics and stick with a set of 3-4 prime lenses instead of zooms. Do you have an opinion on that? What's good out there in the lens department? or is this a silly choice and i should get some nice zooms.
Whether you can do with an all prime lineup pretty much depends on your photographic preferences. Disciplines where you probably want some zoom lenses include sports and action, wildlife and every activity where you want versatility and/or don't always have the chance to change lenses.

Primes on the other hand are great for available light photography, portraiture, street, documentary etc.

I personally love the image quality and large aperture primes offer but am still eyeing up the new 16-85 mm zoom as an upgrade of my 18-55 mm kit because I'll soon spend a lot of time mountaineering in the highlands where I need versatility and weather sealing.

As you see, it's all up to you and your personal needs.
11-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You really should not ask questions like that. This forum is generally a little prime happy, and I'm sure many folks will stop by and be glad to help you spend money

One of the 'crown jewels' of Pentax land are the Limited primes. Limited means small size and metal construction, not a limited run. These come in two flavors the 'FA' series 31mm, 43mm, and 77mm which are legacy film lenses and the 'DA' series 15mm, 21mm, 35mm, 40mm, and 70mm. These are designed for modern digital APS-C cameras.

You also have the DA 35mm f/2.4 and the DA 50mm f/1.8 which are modern inexpensive primes with great optics but plastic construction.

And then you have an entire world of k-mount and M-42 mount classic glass going back to the 1960's.

Look here for the lens database: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

11-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Starting off with primes is probably a great way to learn and totally admirable, but for an impatient and lazy bugger like myself, the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 would cover almost everything one needs (to start), with weather sealing and great image quality. So they would be my (rather expensive) recommendation for a K-3 lens starter kit.

Just my opinion...

Welcome BTW
11-17-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Poit. The two DA* zooms are excellent lenses which cover the most frequent focal length needs except wildlife (even that in a pinch.) Primes are wonderful but, as he said, require patience and time to change lenses. In the end, unless you become a very specialized photographer, you will want both high quality zooms and the best primes you can afford.
11-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
the 35mm 2.4 is a great lens for its price. its a good street lens and and decently sharp at 2.4. personally I use mine as a street lens and when going out do dinner parties where light is low. I find that my 50mm 1.8 & 1.4 are a bit too long for indoors. there might be better options for a 35mm lens out there i.e. 35mm ltd macro, but its a lot more expensive as well. as for zooms, best all around zoom (at least for me) is the 18-135.not a low light performer but definitely one that will always be with you when travelling. theres loads of great fast zooms, as you can see from the lens review section, some of which have been already mentioned by other people in this thread. i think jatrax covered everything as far as primes are concerned. happy shooting!
11-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses guys, i'm definitely loving the prime lens options for Pentax cameras and the fact that you can use older lenses is just tre cool!

11-18-2014, 02:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Take your time. Enjoy the K3 and whatever lens you have. Get to know them and decide what you need when you feel the deficiency in what you have - you will discover if you need wider, longer or faster. That will tell you which way to move far better than any of us who never heard of you before. A few well chosen tools is more valuable than having a crowd of stuff you rarely use.
11-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Take your time. Enjoy the K3 and whatever lens you have. Get to know them and decide what you need when you feel the deficiency in what you have - you will discover if you need wider, longer or faster. That will tell you which way to move far better than any of us who never heard of you before. A few well chosen tools is more valuable than having a crowd of stuff you rarely use.
+1 - start shooting and after a little bit you can decide if there is another focal length you want to get.
The type of shooting you prefer will dictate focal lengths or whether a zoom is more convenient.
Staring out with a prime will spoil you for image quality though so you will need to spend more for a decent zoom
11-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter

The K-3 and DA 35 is a fine combination

On this shot, I might have had a Sony close-up lens attached, can't remember for sure.

On this shot I used a Hoya variable neutral density filter.