Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 05:54 AM   #1

Possible D800 to K3

Hi guys, first post here looking for a little advice.

I currently shoot with a Nikon D800 & a Tamron 24-70 f2.8, its a nice bit of kit but I've been finding lately that I don't "need" the 36MP Size of the pictures and also that I'm finding the size a bit of a pain to carry all the time.

I've previously had a variety of APS-C DSLR's and tried a few of the mirrorless setups as a potential accompaniment to the D800 but in my realization that I don't think I "need" it I'm beginning to look at a full scale replacement.

My lenses I have for the D800 are currently really aimed at Full Frame so if I sold the D800 I'd likely sell them too or I'd consider a straight downsize to the D7100.
The smaller size of the Pentax bodies attracts me along with the excellent range of prime lenses which seem like they would be ideal for travel and for sticking on the K3 so I can stick it in my bag daily.

I'm looking to see if there are users who have either moved from a D800 (or similar) to Pentax or have shot both and could give some feedback on how they found it?

11-17-2014, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot both the D800 and the K-3 together. Generally I use the Nikon for "wide" and I use the Pentax for "long". In particular, I absolutely love the DA* 60-250mm -- what a great lens. I did extensive testing of the K-3 + DA* 60-250mm versus Nikon D800 + AF-S 80-400mm VR and I could not see any IQ difference in 20"x30" prints. I happen to like a two-body kit so that I don't have to change lenses. Particularly for events. I don't find switching to be an issue. For RAW processing I use DxO Optics Pro on all my cameras so I have a common "look". The new v10 version is a big improvement. Additionally, all my cameras use the Arca quick-release system as well as OpTechUSA connectors so everything just "works" together, whether it is for panoramas, flash photography, events, etc,. For the first time in my photo career, the camera body brand is the least important part of my system. I have a LOT more invested in everything else. For me, the combination of Nikon D800 + Pentax K-3 currently gives me maximum flexibility and IQ in a very portable system.

YMMV

Michael
11-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I completely switched from Canon (6D) to first the Pentax k5iis and shortly after to the K3. I get pro class results out of the K3 and the limited FA lenses. I miss my Tamron 24-70 VC. I wish Tamron offered it for Pentax.

A pro photographer friend of mine has the Nikon 7100. He and I shot some test shots in his backyard just for fun. The Nikon had the better focusing system. I had the better primes on my Pentax. I never liked the user interface on the Nikon. If you are used to the Nikon menus and UI, there is no compelling reason to switch systems. Yes K3 is more compact and has stabilization in the body. But Nikon has a deeper lens line along with strong third party lens support. You have to decide for yourself what features are important to you.

I am going to stick to my K3 for now. For the type of photography I do, it is fantastic. I mentioned in another post that the K3 failed miserably in a wedding photoshoot I did. This was my cousin's wedding. I was shooting for myself. They had a paid pro with Nikons covering the event. If you are shooting events (weddings, etc.), you will be happier with Nikon's focusing system. My keeper rate indoors was terrible on the K3. I gave up wedding photography a long time ago. If I had to do weddings as a pro again, I have to rethink my system. Again these were my experiences I hope the other Pentaxians are not offended by it. To reiterate, I LOVE my K3 for the type of work I do. The real upgrade for me would be a move to the 645z. Otherwise, any full frame move would not be a significant upgrade to the quality I am getting out of the K3 right now.