Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
dust removal...on/off

So...I am wondering why the k3 has two options for dust removal....when the camera turns on and when it turns off....and what would be the reason, not to just have both of those on, all the time? Is there any negative aspect to leaving them both turned on? Thanks for your input!

11-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess that having dust removal when turning ON enabled might cause a certain delay. Not a big delay, but in extreme cases it might be a problem.

I'm only wondering if the dust removal function leads to some kind of wear. Probably yes, as it is a "mechanical" cleaning?
So IMHO it's better to leave this functions OFF (default), unless you have the real dust-related problem...
11-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the dust removal feature enabled for turning on and turning off in my K-30. Yes, there is a slight delay but I've never missed a shot because of it. I still get dust on my sensor. Maybe I get less than I would have if I didn't enable both removal features. I'm not sure how useful those features are but they probably won't hurt the camera long term either, I think.
11-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Dunno, maybe the slight extra time it takes when starting or shutting off? Maybe batterylife?

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 04:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
I guess that having dust removal when turning ON enabled might cause a certain delay. Not a big delay, but in extreme cases it might be a problem.

I'm only wondering if the dust removal function leads to some kind of wear. Probably yes, as it is a "mechanical" cleaning?
So IMHO it's better to leave this functions OFF (default), unless you have the real dust-related problem...
The SR system starts anyway as soon as you turn on the camera to hold the sensor in place, I seriously doubt that wear is any issue at all.

11-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #5

I have my set for dust removal everytime I turn on any of my camers (K-20/5iis/3)...it is an important feature that I appreciate, because I do change out lenses during shoots. I have never missed a shot as a result on having it activate while turning on a camera. You will have second thoughts the next time you have a spot on a photo and have to clean your sensor. It reminds me of the quality and care that goes into Pentax products.
11-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Having DR on at either startup or shut down, or both, is a good idea. I think the biggest drawback is the noise associated with it, but since this doesn't apply to the K-3/K-5/K-7, there's really no reason not to use it. It won't guarantee a dust-free sensor, but it does a good job of keeping big (noticeable) dust particles out of your photos.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Having DR on at either startup or shut down, or both, is a good idea. I think the biggest drawback is the noise associated with it, but since this doesn't apply to the K-3/K-5/K-7, there's really no reason not to use it. It won't guarantee a dust-free sensor, but it does a good job of keeping big (noticeable) dust particles out of your photos.
Thanks for this...I wonder why it is even an option...why didn't Pentax just have it automatically on.....?

11-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
Thanks for this...I wonder why it is even an option...why didn't Pentax just have it automatically on.....?

Some people may still want the instant on feature vs. a slight delay before being able to take the first shot. I have the same feature enabled on my Q and you can see the image shudder on the LCD. There is a lag before you can fire off the shot.
11-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the biggest drawback is the noise associated with it, but since this doesn't apply to the K-3/K-5/K-7, there's really no reason not to use it.
So for K-50 is different? Or not?
11-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Dunno, maybe the slight extra time it takes when starting or shutting off? Maybe batterylife?

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 04:11 PM ----------

The SR system starts anyway as soon as you turn on the camera to hold the sensor in place, I seriously doubt that wear is any issue at all.

In this case - why would Pentax make it only optional? And on top OFF by default? Anyway - it's one of plenty options and features poorly described in the K-3 manual.
11-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #11
Unregistered User

Put it to always clean when turning off the camera. If the short delay when turning the camera on is no problem turn that on too BUT do not turn it off...
11-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have it turned on on shutdown, but not on startup for the reasons that were mentioned above (mainly lag, but also battery duration, even though I feel pretty comfortable with the 500-shot duration of the K-01).
11-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
In this case - why would Pentax make it only optional? And on top OFF by default? Anyway - it's one of plenty options and features poorly described in the K-3 manual.
Most likely due to they wanting to minimize the startup/shutdown lag when handled by potential buyers.
11-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have mine set to "only on start up" purely for irrational reasons. However, I also turn off my K3 multiple times during a hike, much like "auto power off". I've found it easier and response more consistent once the screens go blank, to power off and then power on when needed again.
In essence, I use DR sometimes as much as 10-15 times in a hike (which can't be bad0 and I've found the process is done before I can even raise the camera to my eye.
11-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
So for K-50 is different? Or not?
The K-50 has the non-ultrasonic DR system (as opposed to DR II in the high-end bodies).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: