Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Does anyone know where the serial number is on the battery grip?
Remove the battery holder and the serial number is under the lip that protrudes over the top of the cavity.

Regards,
Ray.

11-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, I heard back from Ricoh today. Here's what they said:

"Thank you for contacting RICOH.

If you are unable to exchange your new BG-5 grip with the dealer I recommend you return your grip directly to RICOH Imaging America’s main service facility at the address listed below for examination. You can use the Repair Quote link on the shop’s website, Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair, to register your equipment for repair.
"

I forwarded this to the service department at Adorama, asking if they'd do an exchange. The ball's currently in their court. No reply. The email from Ricoh also goes on to state that they'll inspect the item to be sure it wasn't misused or damaged in a way that invalidates the warranty. You know, that kinda annoys me. This was bought brand new, never abused dropped nor in any way improperly attached or manhandled. I find it a bit insulting that some doofus technician somewhere gets to make that call, assuming Adorama won't exchange it.
11-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter

The ball's currently in their court. No reply. The email from Ricoh also goes on to state that they'll inspect the item to be sure it wasn't misused or damaged in a way that invalidates the warranty.
Helen Oster is a site member and Adorama's customer service designee for the Pentax Forums. In the past she has been very helpful in making sure that PF members get A+ service from Adorama.

Helen Oster - View Profile - PentaxForums.com

Steve
11-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is the old lens one of those with the Power Zoom feature? You could zoom the lens via buttons on the camera.
Didn't the new cameras re-porpose those same contacts for the SDM contacts?

Could the camera be confused? Or is that an intended "feature"?
I don't know what Pentax meant to happen with that combination but I remember reading that the pins have been repurposed.

11-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Grip is on its way back to Adorama for replacement. I did ask that they "swap kits" instead, since I doubt I'll use the grip anyway. They offer the K3 as a kit with the Pentax AF 50mm 1.8 lens for the same price. I bet I'll get a new grip, as that was the original item I bought, but one can hope.

If I get the grip as replacement it'll be going on eBay.
12-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Replacement grip received, and fixed the issue. Thanks Adorama!

One minor complaint - the grip was sent in a bubblewrap envelope, no packing material at all, just thrown in the envelope and shipped. The box took a pretty good beating on the way here. It almost seemed like someone was pissed off and shipped it as cheaply as possible.

Conversely, a Lowepro bag I bought from Adorama arrived in a hefty cardboard box with tons of airbag protection. For a bag.
12-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #22
Site Supporter

One minor complaint - the grip was sent in a bubblewrap envelope, no packing material at all, just thrown in the envelope and shipped. The box took a pretty good beating on the way here. It almost seemed like someone was pissed off and shipped it as cheaply as possible.
Adorama tends to send small/light stuff in courier envelopes like that. There have been a few complaints on this site that lenses were packed that way, though no reports of any damage to the contents. That sort of shipping is fine for a book or cable, but I would not appreciate it for anything that is fragile.

As for the shipping cost, I believe it would be the same for a small box or the envelope. The envelope is just easier to pack. You might want to mention it to Helen Oster or Adorama.

Steve
12-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The pins on the grip are different heights so that certain pins make electrical contact with the body first. This is to prevent bad things from happening, especially if you happen to leave the camera or grip switched on while attaching it (something you should never do).

/takes off my electronic engineering hat