Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-3 Weirdness

Some Minolta cameras had an "Eye Start" sensor, which, when enabled, turned the camera on and focused it when brought to the eye. Now, the K-3 has no such thing, but mine does. I have an elderly (1990's vintage) Tamron 28-300mm lens. Nice lens. Very sharp, especially at the lower end of the zoom range. But it behaves as if there's an eye start mechanism. When you point the camera at a new object it focuses, in S + spot focus mode. It doesn't do it all the time, but reliably does it when you zoom.

Another K-3 weirdness is that I have frequently taken a picture and looked at the rear LCD and no picture appears. The card indicator light isn't lit, there's just nothing. The info display is gone too. It's a black screen. And if you press the playback review button, you're taken back to the info screen, and sometimes, after a few seconds, the picture suddenly shows.

I'm thinking my K-3 is defective. WDYT? Any of this happened to you?

Please don't reply with theories or other camera models. I'm only interested in K-3 experiences. Thanks!

11-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen the blank screen after taking a picture.
I had a very old, slow 4GB memory card in the camera at the time and was shooting RAW.
Switching back to a proper high-speed card solved the problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Please don't reply with theories or other camera models. I'm only interested in K-3 experiences. Thanks!
My theory is that your old Tamaron has electrical problems and is freaking out your K-3. If I had this experience, I would not do it again.
11-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Unregistered User

If you use another lens, does it behave the same?
11-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
If you use another lens, does it behave the same?
I had never noticed the AF behavior with another lens. The blacked-out LCD happens with any lens. The SD card is a class 10 64gb SDXC card.

---------- Post added 11-18-14 at 09:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I have seen the blank screen after taking a picture.
I had a very old, slow 4GB memory card in the camera at the time and was shooting RAW.
Switching back to a proper high-speed card solved the problem.
I am indeed shooting RAW (+ jpg) but the card is new.

11-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I had never noticed the AF behavior with another lens. The blacked-out LCD happens with any lens. The SD card is a class 10 64gb SDXC card.
The slow card was the only occasion I ever saw that behavior on the K-3.
I'm already one theory past my limit, so I will leave it there.
11-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another K-3 weirdness is that I have frequently taken a picture and looked at the rear LCD and no picture appears. The card indicator light isn't lit, there's just nothing. The info display is gone too. It's a black screen. And if you press the playback review button, you're taken back to the info screen, and sometimes, after a few seconds, the picture suddenly shows.
If your camera is still on warranty, I would contact Ricoh/Pentax. You probably have a fault on one of the main circuit boards.

Steve
11-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

class 10 64gb SDXC card
Try another card to verify that the issue is not card related.
Preferably a Sandisk one, and maybe not so big as 64GB.

The lens issue may be contacts related or general lens/body electrical. My K-5 went a bit crazy once when I used a teleconverter that seemed to cause some sort of electrical problem or short.

11-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The lens issue may be contacts related or general lens/body electrical. My K-5 went a bit crazy once when I used a teleconverter that seemed to cause some sort of electrical problem or short.
That AF behavior is the strange part of all this. The body turns the AF screw based on instructions from the user, not the lens.

Steve
11-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check the contacts at the base of the lens *and* the two gold contacts on the body that provide the focus and data circuits between body and lens. If any of these are bent out of shape, contact will be lost and all kinds of weird stuff ensues.

Jack
11-21-2014, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I discovered the problem. It's the grip or grip contacts. With the grip on, if I tilt the camera down about 45 degrees, the back LCD goes black and nothing will revive it. Take the grip off and everything works fine. Oddly, with the grip attached, you don't even need a battery to make it happen.

I am going to try and return it to Adorama or failing that, will send it in for repair.

Here's what the grip's pins look like - all over the place as far as height, which may or may not matter...

11-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, I discovered the problem. It's the grip or grip contacts. With the grip on, if I tilt the camera down about 45 degrees, the back LCD goes black and nothing will revive it. Take the grip off and everything works fine. Oddly, with the grip attached, you don't even need a battery to make it happen.

I am going to try and return it to Adorama or failing that, will send it in for repair.

Here's what the grip's pins look like - all over the place as far as height, which may or may not matter...
Joy in PentaxLand!

Out of curiosity, is this the Pentax grip?

Steve
11-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

With the grip on, if I tilt the camera down about 45 degrees, the back LCD goes black and nothing will revive it. Take the grip off and everything works fine.
Interesting result from a simple and definitive test. That grip contacts issue might explain why my K-3 w.grip display froze once during image review, and locked the camera up.

However the unevenness of the pin heights shouldn't be an issue, I would have thought, since once mounted on the camera the pins are all pressed down flat by the camera body. As long as there is a degree of spring pressure behind them all, contact should be consistent and good.
11-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Joy in PentaxLand!

Out of curiosity, is this the Pentax grip?

Steve
Yes, this is the Pentax grip.

---------- Post added 11-21-14 at 03:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Interesting result from a simple and definitive test. That grip contacts issue might explain why my K-3 w.grip display froze once during image review, and locked the camera up.

However the unevenness of the pin heights shouldn't be an issue, I would have thought, since once mounted on the camera the pins are all pressed down flat by the camera body. As long as there is a degree of spring pressure behind them all, contact should be consistent and good.
I am going to send in the grip alone for repair, not to deprive myself of an otherwise working K-3. If it comes back and still doesn't work right it must be something in the grip contacts, and I'll then send the body in.
11-22-2014, 03:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The contacts on my genuine Pentax grip look exactly like the ones in your photo, they are not all of the same height.

Greetings
11-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
The contacts on my genuine Pentax grip look exactly like the ones in your photo, they are not all of the same height.

Greetings
Thanks! At least that isn't teh problem then, assuming your camera/grip works properly.

Does anyone know where the serial number is on the battery grip?