Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
dynamic range settings

Question...the highlight and shadow correction....first of all do they effect RAW images? Will the RAW files come into post with those corrections? And if they do, what is your experience with these adjustments....I would love to hear as much perspective on this as is out there....

11-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw a review yesterday of the K-3 which said that highlight correction affects RAW images, but shadow correction doesn't. I believe that the highlight correction reduces the sensitivity of the sensor for very bright areas so that the response to the brighter areas is less linear.
11-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I saw a review yesterday of the K-3 which said that highlight correction affects RAW images, but shadow correction doesn't. I believe that the highlight correction reduces the sensitivity of the sensor for very bright areas so that the response to the brighter areas is less linear.
Hmmmmm.... thanks, that's interesting.....So then shadow correction is more of a post process? Was the review here in the forum?
11-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I believe that the highlight correction reduces the sensitivity of the sensor for very bright areas so that the response to the brighter areas is less linear
My understanding is that it just applies 1 stop exposure compensation when a clipping condition is detected.

Steve

11-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My understanding is that it just applies 1 stop exposure compensation when a clipping condition is detected.

Steve
that would effect the RAW?
11-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
that would effect the RAW?
Yes, because it is done before the actual picture is taken.
11-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Highlight correction does affect the raw, but we don't know exactly how. What it does is, it shoots at an ISO one lower than the one that is displayed, and then digitally bump it up, while keeping the highlights from clipping. This is why the lowest ISO setting cannot be chosen in the ISO menu - but it still gets used. How exactly the raw file is affected is under some dispute. Some say its the same, others say it has a different shape contrast curve applied, and so on.
I like to use it on days with high contrasts.

Shadow correction is jpeg-only, and it merely brightens shadows. But keep in mind that every setting that affects the jpeg, will also affect the preview jpeg in the raw file. If you enable CA correction and distortion correction, they will slow down the camera even if you shoot raw, because the corrections will be applied to the preview jpeg (and only the jpeg)

OH, and one more thing.. raw files are not really that raw anymore. Some brands apply NR and even sharpening to the file. Is this good or bad, is this cheating, well.. thats a whole debate. But Pentax' raw files seem to not have these things

11-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
---------- Post added 11-18-14 at 10:07 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Highlight correction does affect the raw, but we don't know exactly how. What it does is, it shoots at an ISO one lower than the one that is displayed, and then digitally bump it up, while keeping the highlights from clipping. This is why the lowest ISO setting cannot be chosen in the ISO menu - but it still gets used. How exactly the raw file is affected is under some dispute. Some say its the same, others say it has a different shape contrast curve applied, and so on.
I like to use it on days with high contrasts.

Shadow correction is jpeg-only, and it merely brightens shadows. But keep in mind that every setting that affects the jpeg, will also affect the preview jpeg in the raw file. If you enable CA correction and distortion correction, they will slow down the camera even if you shoot raw, because the corrections will be applied to the preview jpeg (and only the jpeg)

OH, and one more thing.. raw files are not really that raw anymore. Some brands apply NR and even sharpening to the file. Is this good or bad, is this cheating, well.. thats a whole debate. But Pentax' raw files seem to not have these things
Thanks for that.....so I definitely will not use shadow correction as I always shot RAW and it will only distort my perception of what I am shooting, and slow the camera down a bit....
11-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

For raw shooting you probably want to select the "Natural" jpeg mode, disable any digital filters, disable CA, distortion, vignetting, and diffraction correction. I use highlight correction sometimes, so I don't have to constantly look at the histogram and hunt for blown highlights.
11-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
Question...the highlight and shadow correction....first of all do they effect RAW images? Will the RAW files come into post with those corrections? And if they do, what is your experience with these adjustments....I would love to hear as much perspective on this as is out there....
Highlight correction does affect RAW files because the camera essentially underexposes (i.e. treats ISO 100 as ISO 200) and lifts the shadows. You would essentially get the same effect if you fixed the ISO and applied a -1EV compensation, I believe.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #11

...and I hope that never changes...(pentax that is)
11-18-2014, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Highlight correction on the K3 has On, Off, and Auto settings. I usually leave mine in Auto. Especially in very harsh Australian light, it seems the best policy. Does anyone have any insights into how the Auto mode works, and how it differs from On? Presumably it's based on the brightness histogram in some way, but I would have thought On would do this as well.
11-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Highlight correction does affect RAW files because the camera essentially underexposes (i.e. treats ISO 100 as ISO 200) and lifts the shadows. You would essentially get the same effect if you fixed the ISO and applied a -1EV compensation, I believe.
Adam, you're explanation of highlight correction is exactly my understanding, too (-1 EV exposure compensation) but I believe shadow adjustment is purely an in-camera JPEG function.
11-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

then digitally bump it up, while keeping the highlights from clipping
This is the part that I am not seeing on my camera. If there is real-time adjustment of per-sensel output by the image processor, it is very, very, very subtle.

Steve
11-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I believe shadow adjustment is purely an in-camera JPEG function.
Yup, I think that's correct.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: