Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member
phoenixvision's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,458
dynamic range settings

Question...the highlight and shadow correction....first of all do they effect RAW images? Will the RAW files come into post with those corrections? And if they do, what is your experience with these adjustments....I would love to hear as much perspective on this as is out there....

11-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Spodeworld's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Joisey
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,214
I saw a review yesterday of the K-3 which said that highlight correction affects RAW images, but shadow correction doesn't. I believe that the highlight correction reduces the sensitivity of the sensor for very bright areas so that the response to the brighter areas is less linear.
11-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member
phoenixvision's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,458
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I saw a review yesterday of the K-3 which said that highlight correction affects RAW images, but shadow correction doesn't. I believe that the highlight correction reduces the sensitivity of the sensor for very bright areas so that the response to the brighter areas is less linear.
Hmmmmm.... thanks, that's interesting.....So then shadow correction is more of a post process? Was the review here in the forum?
11-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,097
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I believe that the highlight correction reduces the sensitivity of the sensor for very bright areas so that the response to the brighter areas is less linear
My understanding is that it just applies 1 stop exposure compensation when a clipping condition is detected.


Steve

11-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member
phoenixvision's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,458
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My understanding is that it just applies 1 stop exposure compensation when a clipping condition is detected.


Steve
that would effect the RAW?
11-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
that would effect the RAW?
Yes, because it is done before the actual picture is taken.
11-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,760
Highlight correction does affect the raw, but we don't know exactly how. What it does is, it shoots at an ISO one lower than the one that is displayed, and then digitally bump it up, while keeping the highlights from clipping. This is why the lowest ISO setting cannot be chosen in the ISO menu - but it still gets used. How exactly the raw file is affected is under some dispute. Some say its the same, others say it has a different shape contrast curve applied, and so on.
I like to use it on days with high contrasts.

Shadow correction is jpeg-only, and it merely brightens shadows. But keep in mind that every setting that affects the jpeg, will also affect the preview jpeg in the raw file. If you enable CA correction and distortion correction, they will slow down the camera even if you shoot raw, because the corrections will be applied to the preview jpeg (and only the jpeg)

OH, and one more thing.. raw files are not really that raw anymore. Some brands apply NR and even sharpening to the file. Is this good or bad, is this cheating, well.. thats a whole debate. But Pentax' raw files seem to not have these things
11-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member
phoenixvision's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,458
Original Poster
---------- Post added 11-18-14 at 10:07 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Highlight correction does affect the raw, but we don't know exactly how. What it does is, it shoots at an ISO one lower than the one that is displayed, and then digitally bump it up, while keeping the highlights from clipping. This is why the lowest ISO setting cannot be chosen in the ISO menu - but it still gets used. How exactly the raw file is affected is under some dispute. Some say its the same, others say it has a different shape contrast curve applied, and so on.
I like to use it on days with high contrasts.

Shadow correction is jpeg-only, and it merely brightens shadows. But keep in mind that every setting that affects the jpeg, will also affect the preview jpeg in the raw file. If you enable CA correction and distortion correction, they will slow down the camera even if you shoot raw, because the corrections will be applied to the preview jpeg (and only the jpeg)

OH, and one more thing.. raw files are not really that raw anymore. Some brands apply NR and even sharpening to the file. Is this good or bad, is this cheating, well.. thats a whole debate. But Pentax' raw files seem to not have these things
Thanks for that.....so I definitely will not use shadow correction as I always shot RAW and it will only distort my perception of what I am shooting, and slow the camera down a bit....

11-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,760
For raw shooting you probably want to select the "Natural" jpeg mode, disable any digital filters, disable CA, distortion, vignetting, and diffraction correction. I use highlight correction sometimes, so I don't have to constantly look at the histogram and hunt for blown highlights.
11-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,252
QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
Question...the highlight and shadow correction....first of all do they effect RAW images? Will the RAW files come into post with those corrections? And if they do, what is your experience with these adjustments....I would love to hear as much perspective on this as is out there....
Highlight correction does affect RAW files because the camera essentially underexposes (i.e. treats ISO 100 as ISO 200) and lifts the shadows. You would essentially get the same effect if you fixed the ISO and applied a -1EV compensation, I believe.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan Utah
Posts: 195
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
OH, and one more thing.. raw files are not really that raw anymore. Some brands apply NR and even sharpening to the file. Is this good or bad, is this cheating, well.. thats a whole debate. But Pentax' raw files seem to not have these things
...and I hope that never changes...(pentax that is)
11-18-2014, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,232
Highlight correction on the K3 has On, Off, and Auto settings. I usually leave mine in Auto. Especially in very harsh Australian light, it seems the best policy. Does anyone have any insights into how the Auto mode works, and how it differs from On? Presumably it's based on the brightness histogram in some way, but I would have thought On would do this as well.
11-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Highlight correction does affect RAW files because the camera essentially underexposes (i.e. treats ISO 100 as ISO 200) and lifts the shadows. You would essentially get the same effect if you fixed the ISO and applied a -1EV compensation, I believe.
Adam, you're explanation of highlight correction is exactly my understanding, too (-1 EV exposure compensation) but I believe shadow adjustment is purely an in-camera JPEG function.
11-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,097
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
then digitally bump it up, while keeping the highlights from clipping
This is the part that I am not seeing on my camera. If there is real-time adjustment of per-sensel output by the image processor, it is very, very, very subtle.


Steve
11-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,252
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I believe shadow adjustment is purely an in-camera JPEG function.
Yup, I think that's correct.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, correction, dslr, files, iso, jpeg, k-3, k3, pentax k-3, preview, shadow
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Q7 dynamic range bencason Pentax Q 3 06-14-2014 01:40 PM
Q sensor dynamic range crewl1 Pentax Q 25 01-14-2014 05:56 PM
K-3 in camera HDR (Dynamic Range) Iam1of2 Pentax K-3 3 01-12-2014 12:29 PM
High Dynamic Range settings jrcastillo Pentax K-30 & K-50 14 07-22-2013 09:25 AM
Dynamic Range? PiDicus Rex Pentax K-01 8 05-15-2013 12:02 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top