Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

heck, the majority of my flickr shots these days are done with the K-3. The rest are done with a Nikon D800. All are processed in DxO. Here is just one link for a K-3 @ ISO 8000 processed via DxO (you can drill down and get the full res image too). I think the image speaks for itself.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjsfoto1956/12420549643/

Michael

11-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
The most widely used and most likely best software to process RAW is Adobe PS Lightroom. RAWTherapee is a free and quite capable alternative.
LightZone has gone open source and has some unique and powerful features. I've tried it briefly before and will try it again.
11-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
LightZone has gone open source and has some unique and powerful features. I've tried it briefly before and will try it again.
Lightzone uses dcraw for its RAW conversion as does RawTherapee*, darktable, and Rawstudio edit: Google Picasa too. If you don't like the user interface of one, just try one of the others. Cameras are added as the developer is able to reverse-engineer the output files. The K-3 is supported on the current list, but the 645Z and K-S1 are not.

Steve

* RawTherapee uses an extension of dcraw while the other products provide a graphical user interface onto the underlying dcraw application.

---------- Post added 11-20-14 at 09:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Lightzone uses dcraw
Speaking of dcraw, it is an option all by itself if a person is willing to work from the command line as opposed to having a graphical interface. There are multiple options for optimization.

Decoding raw digital photos in Linux

Based on the OP's comments, I suspect this might be something to look at.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-20-2014 at 10:43 PM.
11-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Anotherone that is great to develop RAW files is CaptureOne (the one use for PhaseOne cameras)..

IMO one of the best, is kind of different the way that it works compared to Lightroom but the results are really good. You can find info at Youtube, search for "CaptureOne vs Lightroom" ..

Many pros are moving to this software.

11-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not use CaptureOne but there is an interesting free deal for Sony cameras here Capture One (for Sony). If you have access to Sony photos this would be a good way to try out the software.

You can upgrade to the full Sony version for $30 but the version all cameras other than Sony remains pricey.
11-23-2014, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I've used C1 and LR to various degrees for several years. By v3, LR moved ahead of C1 based on its comprehensive tools and excellent noise reduction. Precision color has always favored C1 (great for portraits). By v7 last year, C1 pulled close to LR overall (at least for my needs). With the recently released v8, C1 is really good in almost all respects - and just plain quicker. The various clarity tools make a huge difference - and color precision is great.

As of v8, C1 offers its more-limited version only to Sony in a marketing deal. Those of us with v7 Express were allowed to upgrade to the full (Pro) version 8 for $100. Well worth the investment.

Bicubic is a pretty poor interpolation method - whether scaling up or down. You really don't need more than Lanczos and some sharpening for very good scaling. I use Picture Window Pro for most finishing, but numerous programs provide Lanczos. I have no idea why Adobe doesn't.
11-24-2014, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Forum Member

Raw Converters for K3/K5

I have done a number of tests of commercially available and freeware convertors, including writing my own raw convertor (C#). First my Pentax cameras are set up for DNG, not PEF. My current workflow for those pictures I really want to spend time on and want the very best is to use DXO to convert, apply the lens profiles and sharpness there (not unsharp but the lens softness/sharpness profiles) and load the result into CS6 as a 16 bit TIFF. Once in CS6 I apply whatever changes using NIK on layers or using layers and CS6 features. Flatten, convert to 8 bit, covert to RGB, size, sharpen for output and save as either JPEG or TIFF depending on where its going.

Of the tests I've done most of the converters will produce good results, but if you want to take the time DXO provides that extra bit of whatever that makes it that little bit better than the others, in particular ACR/LR. I have not tried C1 recently but I really liked its results as well. Rawtherapee was very good as well. Pentax DCU is rather clunky and limited. It is no better than ACR and due to its clumsiness something that I don't often use nor recommend. I'd rank them (IMHO from my tests) as:
DXO
C1 (based on C1-v7)
ACR/LR
Rawtherapee
DCU

If you want to read more about convertors, colour spaces and choices have a look at Nine Degrees Below Photography. Elle Stone works through her choices of convertor selecting Darktable as her choice. She also uses Linux as her operating system. I've tried Darktable and if you are running Linux or want to run Linux then you won't miss LR. In fact Darktable and GIMP would provide an exceptional system for no investment beyond learning and buying the hardware.
12-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great information Here! thanks everyone

12-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Bicubic interpolation, etc., relates to scaling and not raw conversion. Lightroom automatically chooses what it believes to be the best scaling method, but Photoshop gives you complete control so you can get the same results or better if you know what you're doing.

Regardless, both Photoshop and Lightroom use the same raw converter. There is, by definition, no "best" way to process a raw file, as different algorithms and approaches work better for certain files than others.

If you're looking at powerful tools for processing jpegs, then I'd recommend that you try out the Topaz suite.
Thanks for comparing Lightroom and Photoshop. I was on the fence about which to start off with.
12-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aline Quote
Thanks for comparing Lightroom and Photoshop. I was on the fence about which to start off with.
While the post you quoted gives A difference between LR and Photoshop, don't make that one feature a reason to get one or the other. LR and Photoshop are really quite different programs for different purposes. They share some underlying code and the ACR engine, but that's about it.
12-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just a correction to what Steve posted: darktable does not use dcraw as its raw converter. It uses Klaus Post's rawspeed as its primary backend, dropping back to libraw for those few corner cases where rawspeed doesn't work yet.

Jack
08-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
heck, the majority of my flickr shots these days are done with the K-3. The rest are done with a Nikon D800. All are processed in DxO. Here is just one link for a K-3 @ ISO 8000 processed via DxO (you can drill down and get the full res image too). I think the image speaks for itself.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjsfoto1956/12420549643/

Michael
Micheal really ISO8000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is Outstanding!
i cannot believe my eyes!
I.Q.also depends on photographic skills................... Hats Off to You!
DXO going to give it a whirl i think
Aloha and Mahalo Timothy
08-29-2015, 06:48 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I think DxO is the best raw converter for high iso, really. Their prime algorithm take quite some time but make the difference. DxO strength is also that is can process all optical corrections automatically. There a very handy perspective correction tool, quite usefull for architecture shoots. I like a lot DxO Film pack that allow you to set mood and choose the type of rendering to use for your pictures. That very important as you do not want to process a landscape like a portrait. I think lightroom is better for highlight recovery.

The 2-3 things still to understand about DxO:
- it is a RAW converter. It doesn't manage library of pictures like Lightroom for example. Personnally I sort my picture on the disk: 1 folder per year, then 1 folder per event. And then edit with DxO.
- it is not the standard so plugins like NIK or topaz are not compatible with it.
- It doesn't support local/pixel corrections outside of the dust removal tool. It doesn't support layer neither.
08-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've not tried a lot of raw converters. Aperture 3 and C1P I know very well.

Noise reduction of C1P works much better than in Aperture 3. If I remember correctly tests showed that DxO and C1P are very close concerning NR. The full package of functionality and flexibility of the user interface let me decide to take C1P. Especially since version 8 I'm very happy.

There was another very good software that I thought about. This software is mainly a raw converter and not an all-in-one package. As tests stated image quality very close to C1P and great NR: Photo Ninja.

Didn't read the whole thread. Sorry if someone mentioned it earlier. Maybe Photo Ninja is worth a try.
09-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #30
Site Supporter

For noise reduction I use NIKs DFine 2 in PS6. I do one auto run as a very first step. Then after sharpening (described below) I run DFine 2 again and let it automatically calculate the noise as in the first run but then I click "Reduce" and set Contrast Noise to 180%. Select "More" then Edge Preservation @ 50%.

For Sharpening I use a combination of Smart Sharpen filter (160%, 3.8px rad.) then I run Unsharpen Mask (135%, 0.8 rad, 2 thresh) I run the same Unsharp mask again but the second one I adjust the opacity so it doesnt cause halos at 100% zoom (well minimal halos sometimes).

This works well for most images but not all. To make it easier create Actions for each step and of course create new layers for each step.

I do all this in PS6 after adjusting the correct exposure in Camera Raw first up.

I also found DX Pro 10 works well for sharpening but DFine2 is fantastic for K3 noise without loss of detail.