Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Best Post Processing Program algorithms for K-3 Raw Images?

Hi All
wondering who is using what to edit their images and getting Fabulous results not all editing programs were created equal ( i use PS CS3)...i know there are different algorithms that sample and extrapolate differently(bi cubic -nearest neighbor- Sinc) and can help or degrade your final image based on what the software mfg decided to use in their programming...

so what is the Best editing software that yields the best images For The K-3?..........these will be Big Prints so minimal noise and artifacts...clean images(and yes i know how to take a clean image this is not a discussion about operator error) will be of the utmost importance
i believe the K3 native prints are 24"x36"-that's plenty big! so i probably wont be doing too much extrapolating unless someone wants a billboard sized image and i will have to use other software for max I.Q

and

the best format to shoot in...

Shoot in PEF or DNG???

Aloha Timothy newb - pentaxian... mahalo for you patience

Last edited by Krusty Surfer; 08-27-2015 at 11:15 AM.
11-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Krusty Surfer Quote
Shoot in PAF or RAW???
They are both raw formats, but I'd recommend shooting in DNG as it's more widely supported. There's no difference in the file contents.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The most widely used and most likely best software to process RAW is Adobe PS Lightroom. RAWTherapee is a free and quite capable alternative.
11-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
PS uses Bicubic and a few other conversion engines and they are not the best alorithms to use...they leave artifacts and degrade your image slightly...

11-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

PS uses Bicubic and a few other conversion engines and they are not the best alorithms to use...they leave artifacts and degrade your image slightly...
Sorry, didn't read your post careful enough.
11-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I prefer Lightroom over anything else I have tried. Part of it is learning to get the most from the software though.
11-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It sounds like you are talking strictly about software for image enlargement? If that is the case, Perfect Resize might be what you are looking for.
11-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi All
wondering who is using what to edit their images and getting Fabulous results not all editing programs were created equal ( i use PS CS3)...i know there are different algorithms that sample and extrapolate differently(bi cubic -nearest neighbor- Sinc) and can help or degrade your final image based on what the software mfg decided to use in their programming...

so what is the Best editing software that yields the best images For The K-3?..........these will be Big Prints so minimal noise and artifacts...clean images(and yes i know how to take a clean image this is not a discussion about operator error) will be of the utmost importance

and

the best format to shoot in...

Shoot in PAF or DNG???

Aloha Timothy newb-pentaxian... mahalo for you patience
I agree with Adam, DNG all the way.
It's PEF, by the way

Photoshop CS3 is a very good piece of software in its own right, but a substantial update regarding noise reduction appeared in Camera Raw 6 (it shipped with CS5 IIRC...)
I also like the new 2012 process version, less controls, much more clear and straightforward.
So I guess I'd recommend Lightroom 5, if you're allergic to the Creative Cloud thingy...

11-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DNG for me.

I've always found Capture One to produce the sharpest, most detailed output from my camera RAWs, no matter the camera.

Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro, PDCU, RawTherapee etc can do an excellent job too, but C1 by default just seems to produce crisper images by default. I still use Lightroom 90% of the time, but C1 is something I keep handy.

Since image output quality is also a product of the quality of the input (ie sensor plus lens), DxO has the advantage of superior lens profiling and corrections, alongside it's sophisticated RAW engine. Worth considering.
11-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It might help if you share your computer's operating system.

M
11-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Bicubic interpolation, etc., relates to scaling and not raw conversion. Lightroom automatically chooses what it believes to be the best scaling method, but Photoshop gives you complete control so you can get the same results or better if you know what you're doing.

Regardless, both Photoshop and Lightroom use the same raw converter. There is, by definition, no "best" way to process a raw file, as different algorithms and approaches work better for certain files than others.

If you're looking at powerful tools for processing jpegs, then I'd recommend that you try out the Topaz suite.
11-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter

You can alway export as full resolution tiff and resize using your the tool of choice.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Bicubic interpolation, etc., relates to scaling and not raw conversion.
What he said...
11-20-2014, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I have Lightroom, Photoshop, and DxO Optics Pro.
For RAW conversion I prefer DxO.

M
11-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I think you need to read up on Bicubic Interpolation, which is used for re-sampling an image. Of the various types Bicubic interpolation leaves negligible artifacts. Here's a really good write up on this. http://www.tinaja.com/glib/pixintpl.pdf

Your CS3 is considerably out of date compared to the latest version. Lots of really excellent updated features and even though it states Creative Cloud one still works off a complete download to ones computer and doesn't need to be logged onto CC to work with photoshop.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 11-20-2014 at 07:42 PM.
11-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
MJSfoto tell us more please about DXO... i think their results are impressive whatever algorithm they are using really destroys noise...i hope it is DNG friendly...i understand transmission and rendering a little bit along with some of the engineering aspects of how digital sensors work... but if it makes Kmount images POP then im game to give it a whirl...
So please tell us more.
Aloha T