Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #1

K3 auto focus

I've had my K3 with the 18-135mm lens since mid-September. For most of that time it seems to me that when the auto focus locked, the focus square would change from a red color to green; at least I assume the box changed to green to indicated focus lock

A few days ago I was using and older FA 80-320mm lens with the camera and I noticed that the red focus box wasn't changing to green even though I recall it doing that previously.

Yesterday when taking some photos with my 18-135mm lens that the red box isn't changing to green when the focus locks but I am getting the beep.

I don't know if I accidentally changed some setting or if the red box going to green doesn't reflect focus lock at all.

Can someone describe how it should work and if I've accidentally changed a setting how I might change it back

Thanks
Richard

11-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wait, are you using live view?
I believe you should be getting the green-coloured square. Are the photos properly focused?
11-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Rligeski Quote
I've had my K3 with the 18-135mm lens since mid-September. For most of that time it seems to me that when the auto focus locked, the focus square would change from a red color to green; at least I assume the box changed to green to indicated focus lock

A few days ago I was using and older FA 80-320mm lens with the camera and I noticed that the red focus box wasn't changing to green even though I recall it doing that previously.

Yesterday when taking some photos with my 18-135mm lens that the red box isn't changing to green when the focus locks but I am getting the beep.

I don't know if I accidentally changed some setting or if the red box going to green doesn't reflect focus lock at all.

Can someone describe how it should work and if I've accidentally changed a setting how I might change it back

Thanks
Richard
If you are looking in the viewfinder the red box indicates the focus point used. Not that you are in focus. For that you have a green octagon in the bottom of the viewfinder
11-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Forum Member

You need to state whether you are using Live View rear screen or the viewfinder, in Live view, using the rear screen, the focus square starts off white, then when focus is acquired it turns green with a beep, "yellow square" if you are using face recognition and then when focused it turns green and beeps, if focus is not acquired the square turns red,with no beep. With phase detect, "using the viewfinder" the chosen focus point " pink square", lights when focus is achieved. Please clarify you method of picture taking.

11-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave's clichés Quote
You need to state whether you are using Live View rear screen or the viewfinder, in Live view, using the rear screen, the focus square starts off white, then when focus is acquired it turns green with a beep, "yellow square" if you are using face recognition and then when focused it turns green and beeps, if focus is not acquired the square turns red,with no beep. With phase detect, "using the viewfinder" the chosen focus point " pink square", lights when focus is achieved. Please clarify you method of picture taking.
I want to thank all of you for the quick replies. I routinely use both Live View sand the viewfinder; that's probably why I got a little confused by the differences. My camera does appear to be working correctly.

to Dave's Cliches - you mention setting the focus to face recognition or using phase detection - I don't think I've ever seen selections for them; where would those options be set - I could have used the face detection on a recent trip to Asia. I managed OK, but would have gotten a few more keepers if I'd gotten focus on the face instead of an architectural element slightly adjacent to my subjects.

Thanks again to all who replied

Richard
11-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Unregistered User

Face detect is set under Live View (Menu camera 3 or when i Live View under Info button) Page 46 in the manual.
11-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Face detect is set under Live View (Menu camera 3 or when i Live View under Info button) Page 46 in the manual.
Thanks, I hadn't caught that before. Definitely one I'll remember for the grandkids during the holidays