Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #1

Want to buy the K-3 but....

Due to the current pricing, I was getting ready to buy the K-3 but then I checked on the pricing of the Panasonic GX7 which I have also been considering and find out that the body price has been lowered to $597 plus you get a $100 Adorama gift card with this and 4% rewards. Add to this the bonus from Panasonic: "Double your 1-year Limited Warranty to 2 years on select Panasonic Lumix G-series cameras and lenses."
So now I don't know what to do?

I currently have a K-01, K-7, K-10D and a Lumix G3 plus a variety of lenses. I wanted to get a newer body for one or both systems although, realistically, probably can only afford one or the other.So why get the K-3 over the GX7 or vice versa? I keep going back and forth with this. I am left-eyed and do have some concerns about the placement of the GX7 viewfinder. I do like the fact that the GX7 has built-in wifi whereas with the K-3 one has to buy a flu card or use an eye-fi card. I like my Ks (don't use the 10D much at all anymore) and my G3 but do want a camera that offers high ISOs and a viewfinder.

11-23-2014, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Buy both, return the one you don't like.
11-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After Christmas i predict all sorts of action on the "equipment for sale" thread.
11-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Buy both, return the one you don't like.
Too much of a hassle. I think I might go to one of the local camera stores and try them out but I have a feeling it won't help my decision. I've bought many of my cameras without trying them first and the only one I was disappointed in was the Minolta Maxxum (digital). Still have it somewhere but have no idea where I may have "buried" it.

11-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a K-01 (mostly macro) shooter, I agree that it's a tough decision. I've also been thinking about the GX7 as a way into the m4/3 world and a (slightly) smaller and lighter system, with possibility to use four thirds macro lenses with an adapter. The tilting LCD is a big plus, and the camera feels really good in the hand for me (unlike the E-M5 and E-M10 without additional grips). K-3 gains resolution a gives roughly similar pixel density as a 16MP m4/3 sensor. It keeps me in k-mount land, which is a big plus, with much better AF than my current K-01, but it's a much larger and heavier camera than the GX7, and no tilting LCD is very annoying for odd-angled macro shooting. I couldn't really decide, so I spent part of the money elsewhere (lenses & tripod) and now I think I'll ride out my two K-01 bodies for 3-6 more months and take a decision then... Still watching the K-3 deals actively though.
11-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I think you'll have to make a list of "must haves" and "like to haves" and then evaluate both cameras against your lists. The K-3 is a superb camera - no two ways about it. But, possibly the other camera has merit too.
11-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I think you'll have to make a list of "must haves" and "like to haves" and then evaluate both cameras against your lists. The K-3 is a superb camera - no two ways about it. But, possibly the other camera has merit too.
This is very good advice. Decisions are always hard if you are not clear on what you need and what is available in each of your options. There will be disappointments and surprised whichever direction you go. Just know ahead of time why you made the decision and make do. Nothing on this earth is ever perfect.
11-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #8

MarkJerling's advice is good. The other thing I think you need to consider is what you want to do with your next camera. Would you use the Pentax or Panasonic to do the same thing, or would you do different things with them? If you will do different things with them, what is your biggest priority?
I shoot primarily with a Pentax K-5 & K-7 but have a Panasonic FZ-200 which I also like a lot. Both companies make great cameras. If your primary concern is a smaller size the Panasonic will be your camera. If on the other hand you want higher end capabilities the Pentax will be your camera. I think upgrading from the K-7 to the K-3 will be a very major upgrade.

11-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
do want a camera that offers high ISOs and a viewfinder

Sounds like this would tilt toward the K3 - yes? (Though I've heard wonderful things about the Panny!)
11-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #10

Did you see that the K-3 just had another price reduction to 796 US dollars including the grip. I don't know if Pentax sales are slowing down, or because they are trying to buy some market share. I hope it is the second.
11-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #11

Original Poster
Mark, good advice and I've made a list of likes & dislikes and thought about what I want but then both of them have something I want.

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Sounds like this would tilt toward the K3 - yes? (Though I've heard wonderful things about the Panny!)
The GX7 has a viewfinder, although EVF vs optical, and it also has high ISO although K-3 goes to 51,200 and Panny only 25,600 (which is more than enough). I did a camera comparison on imaging resource and the K-3 came out with a few more advantages over the Panny. Samy's camera is now offering a special deal on the K-50 so now I'm throwing that into the mix.

---------- Post added 11-23-14 at 09:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kchamber4 Quote
Did you see that the K-3 just had another price reduction to 796 US dollars including the grip. I don't know if Pentax sales are slowing down, or because they are trying to buy some market share. I hope it is the second.
Yes and that's why I am thinking about getting one. I would actually like to have it be about $100 less without the grip. I had a grip for my Oly E-1 and rarely used it.
11-24-2014, 05:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Mark, good advice and I've made a list of likes & dislikes and thought about what I want but then both of them have something I want.

The GX7 has a viewfinder, although EVF vs optical, and it also has high ISO although K-3 goes to 51,200 and Panny only 25,600 (which is more than enough). I did a camera comparison on imaging resource and the K-3 came out with a few more advantages over the Panny. Samy's camera is now offering a special deal on the K-50 so now I'm throwing that into the mix.

---------- Post added 11-23-14 at 09:32 PM ----------

Yes and that's why I am thinking about getting one. I would actually like to have it be about $100 less without the grip. I had a grip for my Oly E-1 and rarely used it.
I have a Fujifilm X-E1 that I picked up for a great price and use as a second option sometimes. One thing I'm not use to yet is the off-center EVF. As you probably know, the GX7's EVF is also off-center. There's something about the composing and shutter button pressing that just has never felt right with this physical layout. In case you haven't really tried a few shots on the GX7, I suggest you do that to make sure the off-center nature isn't disconcerting.
11-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I have a Fujifilm X-E1 that I picked up for a great price and use as a second option sometimes. One thing I'm not use to yet is the off-center EVF. As you probably know, the GX7's EVF is also off-center. There's something about the composing and shutter button pressing that just has never felt right with this physical layout. In case you haven't really tried a few shots on the GX7, I suggest you do that to make sure the off-center nature isn't disconcerting.
I'm going over to the camera store today to check it out because I am concerned about the viewfinder placement and the fact that I am left eye dominant.
11-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I'm going over to the camera store today to check it out because I am concerned about the viewfinder placement and the fact that I am left eye dominant.
Let us know how you get on. Good luck!
11-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I was going to buy a new K-3, but changed my stance, reckon there will be some bargains out there next year when many trade up.
Instead purchase glass is more important for now.

Last edited by beachgardener; 11-24-2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add info.