Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 04:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Thanks.

I googled on to see what I could find on my own and stumbled upon a chart, outlining performance of the original and a bunch of other third party batteries and most, performed poorly.

K-5/K-7 battery packs - D-LI90: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The Hähnel has slightly less juice but the price is about half as much.

05-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I just placed an order for K-3 II today *woop* *woop* and now I'm wondering what 3rd party chargers are worth looking at. Any thoughts?

I need two for now and over time possibly 4 - I shoot at weddings and have lots of batteries to charge :P
05-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I just placed an order for K-3 II today *woop* *woop* and now I'm wondering what 3rd party chargers are worth looking at. Any thoughts?

I need two for now and over time possibly 4 - I shoot at weddings and have lots of batteries to charge :P
I love my Patona. It can be charged via USB (1A is enough), so you can charge it from one of those USB batteries that people use to charge their phones on the go. It also comes with an adapter to charge in a car, and it can be charged via power socket too.

Easily my favorite charger for the D-Li90... and there are attachments so you can charge other batteries too.
06-09-2015, 05:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I can't find Pantona chargers here in Denmark, but there is a Blumax for D-LI90 batteries, however I do not know if it's good or bad.

06-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by marmitse Quote
Any 3rd party DLI90 replacement brand you could recommend based on long term use? (Ebay reference/Europe prefered)
I was very happy with Hama (did not notice the difference to genuine Pentax accu) for my K10d, check Hama with amazon.co.uk
The same source for Energizer, slightly more expensive.

I can't find Pantona chargers here in Denmark.
Get Hama (2 separate items: charger base + accu module) from amazon.de
www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B000LPZOLY/ref=olp_tab_all

Last edited by Prakticant; 06-15-2015 at 03:09 AM.
06-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I can't find Pantona chargers here in Denmark, but there is a Blumax for D-LI90 batteries, however I do not know if it's good or bad.
Amazon? It is available in Germany and Spain at least.
06-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll have a look.

06-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I've had mostly bad luck with the cheap generics which either have much lower capacity, become unusable quickly, or both. The exception is the Pearstone from B&H - which has very near the capacity of the OEM.

My OEMs are from 2014 and 2011 - and the Pearstone is also only a year old, but I am quite sure it will be long lived. All my K-3/K-01 batteries get charged in the Pentax charger. It is slow, and that will preserve the batteries longer and charge them deeper.

On other cameras (smaller batteries), I've used DSTE generics and the DSTE charger (supplies Wasabi, as well). Fast charger that I would be fine using on the cheap generics. The batteries are well made, but the capacity is only about 70%.
06-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I decided on Hähnel batteries and ordered 4 (I shoot a lot), bu i still have not found a charger. The ones I can find are either no name or I can't find enough info about the named ones - nothing suggested here can be found, even on Amazon, and I also cant even locate the OEM charger, which I was starting to consider, because it's apparently so difficult to find chargers that I can research before a purchase.
06-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The DSTE chargers are clearly "smart" chargers. A bit fast, so I would tend to reserve it for the generic batteries. This is worth a try - and inexpensive:
http://www.amazon.com/D-Li90-Battery-Travel-Charger-Adapter/dp/B00N9NDPJS
06-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I've had mostly bad luck with the cheap generics which either have much lower capacity, become unusable quickly, or both. The exception is the Pearstone from B&H - which has very near the capacity of the OEM.
Good observation. I would add that the stated capacity on the battery is often far less than the real capacity.

Steve
06-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
The DSTE chargers are clearly "smart" chargers. A bit fast, so I would tend to reserve it for the generic batteries. This is worth a try - and inexpensive:
Amazon.com : DSTE® D-Li90 Battery + DC93 Travel and Car Charger Adapter for Pentax K-01 K-3 K-5 K-5II K-5IIs K-7 645D 645Z Camera : Camera & Photo
It has been my understanding that "smart" charging required the third contact. The DSTE charger has only two contacts.

Steve

P.S. FWIW, the DSTE charger appears to be identical to my Wasabi travel charger.
06-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #28

All that is needed from a charger, to protect the battery, are 2 phases. A constant current at the start and a constant voltage toward the end. This can be achieved with just the 2 contacts.

Most camera batteries, this includes the cheap ones, are fitted with a protection and monitoring circuit to prevent over discharge, over voltage/charge and also to carry out balancing of the cells.

Extra contacts can also provide the camera and/or charger with battery information such as capacity, state of charge and temperature.
Some people believe that the T pin is for (direct and better) Temperature sensing and can prevent the charger from damaging a hot battery.

The 3rd contact on the battery and charger were brought in by Pentax to comply with safety legislation. The K-3 camera only uses the 2 outer contacts + and -, it does not make use of the 3rd (middle) contact.

Last edited by Stumpy; 07-10-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: To clarify information
06-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I decided on Hähnel batteries and ordered 4 (I shoot a lot), bu i still have not found a charger. The ones I can find are either no name or I can't find enough info about the named ones - nothing suggested here can be found, even on Amazon, and I also cant even locate the OEM charger, which I was starting to consider, because it's apparently so difficult to find chargers that I can research before a purchase.
Pentax DLI90 Battery Charger of PATONA
They ship to the rest of Europe too? I thought they also have a site that charges ib Euro.
06-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Wasabi batteries have generally been pretty good. I have bought 5 or 6 total and had one that went bad after a year with the rest still holding up well after a couple of years. I'm a little suspect of the Wasabi charger and wonder if it shortens battery life. My observations support that but it was far from a controlled experiment. I only use that charger when traveling now.