Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Just to complicate things further I'll say pretty much the opposite of what mattb123 just said:

I have had poor luck with Wasabi D-LI90 clone batteries. I own two and both lost almost their entire capacity after only a year or two of light-to-moderate use.

On the other hand, I think the Wasabi charger is terrific. I like the form factor (self-contained, no cord, with the folding wall prongs). I have used it to charge my original Pentax batteries, almost exclusively, for years (K-5 since 2011, K-01 since early 2013). Those batteries are still going strong.

06-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Pretty sure that the Wasabi and DSTE chargers are the same, as Steve mentioned. No idea if the batteries are the same. I haven't had the best performance out of the smaller Wasabi battery; for instance, MaximalPower for the Q has performed much better, and costs less. Others have had great luck with Wasabi, though.

As a rule of thumb, the higher capacity claimed (especially if markedly higher than OEM), the less I trust the battery.
06-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Pretty sure that the Wasabi and DSTE chargers are the same, as Steve mentioned. No idea if the batteries are the same. I haven't had the best performance out of the smaller Wasabi battery; for instance, MaximalPower for the Q has performed much better, and costs less. Others have had great luck with Wasabi, though.

As a rule of thumb, the higher capacity claimed (especially if markedly higher than OEM), the less I trust the battery.
I find that this man speaks the truth.
06-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stumpy Quote
Extra contacts are usually to provide the camera with information.
They also inform the charger as to the state of charge. Without that information, the charger is "flying blind". I suppose that is why the Pentax charger has three contacts.

Steve

06-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
My Wasabi batteries have generally been pretty good. I have bought 5 or 6 total
Same here, but with no failures.

Steve
06-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They also inform the charger as to the state of charge. Without that information, the charger is "flying blind". I suppose that is why the Pentax charger has three contacts.

Steve
Mine has two contacts, but the light is red when the battery is drained, then turns to orange, yellow and finally green when it is full. When I insert a full battery, it will be green. When it is just a bit drained, yellow. So somehow it seens to work. Don't ask me how. I suppose there is a way to determine (voltage) even without a 3rd connector...
06-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #37

They also inform the charger as to the state of charge.
Steve
I have edited my previous post to clarify.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I suppose there is a way to determine (voltage) even without a 3rd connector...
The charger only requires the 2 connections to know the voltage, and it can tell the state of charge by monitoring the battery voltage and current.
There is also a monitoring circuit within the battery.
06-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Same here, but with no failures.

Steve
Same here also.

06-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #39
Pentaxian

kadajawi: thanks!
06-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I ended up buying a bunch of Hähnel batteries and Patona chargers and though I've only had them for a short time, it feels like they are performing well.

Yesterday I had my first long wedding (12 hours) using the K-3 II's.

Body 1: OEM battery, mostly sigma 70-200 and Pentax 70mm used and then some Pentax 50mm f1.8. Used Liveview a handful of times.

It gave me just a tad less than 1250 exposures, before the battery depleted.

Body 2: Sigma 18-35 for by far the majority of the time, and then some Pentax 21mm

It gave me 785 exposures. I used Live View more with this camerabody, but still not a lot.

I'd like to think, that the battery that gave me the most exposures, is the oldest one. It has been charged a bunch of times, while the other camera was bought just a day before the wedding - I did charge the newest battery, yes
06-28-2015, 12:17 AM   #41
Pentaxian

New batteries may take some time before they work at full capacity, AFAIK.

Since you have a Patona charger you can charge your empty batteries on the go.

Few days ago I shot 1831 photos plus maybe 10-15 minutes of video on a charge, with some spare battery left, on my K-5 with original (3 year old) battery. That camera just keeps going...
06-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #42
Pentaxian

1831 + video sounds impressive.

But I'm very pleased and optimistic so far - I ended up with 3500 photos in total by just having to swap batteries one time per camera bod). I believe the manual says 700 exposures and to be on the safe side, I expected to get 600 before needing to swap batteries, when I had to decide how many extra batteries I need.
08-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #43
Pentaxian

any luck in Europe ??? I can't find any Wasabi battery on amazon.fr or ebay.fr
08-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
1831 + video sounds impressive.

But I'm very pleased and optimistic so far - I ended up with 3500 photos in total by just having to swap batteries one time per camera bod). I believe the manual says 700 exposures and to be on the safe side, I expected to get 600 before needing to swap batteries, when I had to decide how many extra batteries I need.
I don't crimp, I don't use the screen but I burst. I suppose that helps battery life...

The micro USB port on my Patona broke Not sure if I should open it trying to fix it...? The big USB port still works though.
08-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I ordinarily don't use the screen and burst as well, but I'm having bad focusing issues :/

Sad to read about your charger. I've covered quiet a handful weddings since the last time I wrote here, and battery performance is great. I also feel the chargers are working well.

The only bad thing I can say about batteries is, that they don't snap/lock tight enough, often having me double checking if they are fitted correctly. I do not have this concern with the OEM batteries.

The biggest challenge I've put the batteries and charger through so far, was a wedding spanning over 3 days - 3 days in a row. I maxed out at 4 batteries and charging time was quick enough. No problem what so ever.

I feel like I have enough juice to take on anything