Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Don't forgot: an extra LI-Ion battery, or the possibility of running off a set of AA's if you drain your main battery and need to keep shooting.
True, but only if you take the extra tray with you.

11-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't forgot: an extra LI-Ion battery, or the possibility of running off a set of AA's if you drain your main battery and need to keep shooting.
No biggie for me--I've never come even close to shooting out a battery in one day (or an 8G card for that matter) but I always carry a spare just in case. Can you tell I'm not a pro?
11-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
True, but only if you take the extra tray with you.
Which I honestly don't do, just thought I'd mention it anyway because it is there as an option. I just keep two LI-Ion's in my K-5 all the time, and I rarely need to worry about charging.
11-29-2014, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Which I honestly don't do, just thought I'd mention it anyway because it is there as an option. I just keep two LI-Ion's in my K-5 all the time, and I rarely need to worry about charging.
I've shot all day at Disney with 4 full 16gb cards and still had power with the grip. I can't image ne buying a K3 without the grip now.

11-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #20

Original Poster
Ok...I sprung for it. I'm looking forward to putting it to good use. I did forget to order a spare battery but....other than no more camera purchases for a while. I promise.

I also justified this purchase by deciding to give my brother my K-5 and the kit lens from the K10D as a Christmas gift. It still looks almost new and the shutter count is relativity low so it's a really nice gift as I see it. He makes bigger money than me so if he wants a better lens he can start his own LBA. I'm a heckuva nice brother aren't i?

Last edited by BlakeShellman; 11-29-2014 at 05:24 PM.
11-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
I'm a heckuva nice brother aren't i?
You are!
11-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
Ok...I sprung for it. I'm looking forward to putting it to good use. I did forget to order a spare battery but....other than no more camera purchases for a while. I promise.

I also justified this purchase by deciding to give my brother my K-5 and the kit lens from the K10D as a Christmas gift. It still looks almost new and the shutter count is relativity low so it's a really nice gift as I see it. He makes bigger money than me so if he wants a better lens he can start his own LBA. I'm a heckuva nice brother aren't i?
Yes, you are. Enjoy your new camera.

11-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I too am considering a K-3 especially with the B&H prices, I shoot a regular K-5 (which I really enjoy) and I have a K-X as a backup. Now I am considering handing it down to my daughter who is Jonesing to get into photography, it has relatively low shutter count and it should do her well, I will even give her the kit lenses that came with it originallya dn a handful other lenses that I have collected up over the last few years.....now I am expecting many pics of our new grandbaby that is scheduled to arrive next May.....

Once I get the K-3, I am going to make that my primary shooter and the K-5 as back up body, maybe sell it and get a K-5IIs to replace it. the main concern I have with the K-3 is the higher file sizes and how they will affect the PP in LR compared to my K-5 files...

As for the grip? well I sure got plenty used to using the grip on my K-5, feel naked without it on the camera....
11-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
the main concern I have with the K-3 is the higher file sizes and how they will affect the PP in LR compared to my K-5 files...
The bigger file sizes haven't had any impact on pp in my experience. Uploading could be an issue but I downsize all my photos befoiore uploading anyway because my Verizon connection is so slow.
12-01-2014, 02:50 AM   #25

Just in case you're still not convinced...

12-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #26

Original Poster
I should have mine this Wednesday but mom is having hip replacement surgery and its getting shipped to work. So I get to unwrap on Thursday.
12-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I held out until this deal for the grip and camera came along. 796 for the grip/cam/32gb sd card was too much to resist.

The K-3 images are very similar to the K-5 in iso and DR performance. The rest of the K-3 is more refined. It's much faster to operate, has more accurate and decisive autofocus. The AF is also much improved in dim light. Dual card slots are very nice. I have mine set one for jpeg and one for RAW. Video is much improved if you care for that as well. Metering is also more accurate. It's overall a great refinement but not a large leap. I found the K-7 to K-5 jump more dramatic with the big boost in sensor performance. This one is just a resolution bump in that dept.

Pentax for me has the best handling out of any camera I've used. I've owned Canon/Sony/Fuji/Olympus camera's and I prefer the layout and use of Pentax by far.

At the lower prices it's a worthy upgrade until the FF comes along. I'm seeing Sony A7's going for 1298 now so I hope Pentax prices it competitively.
12-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #28

yesterday ordered K-3 on Amazon. i't on the way..
12-03-2014, 04:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramesh.chandr Quote
yesterday ordered K-3 on Amazon. i't on the way..
Congratulations and Welcome to Pentax Forums!
12-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #30

I'm in the same boat - have a K3 in the cart at B&H and ready to pull the trigger - 800 clams with the grip thrown in is pretty dang good deal. I saw the ebay deal and missed it (and here in Canada yet!), but I would put a battery pack on it anyway so really it works out to about the same.

My K10D has served me well, I bought it at a discounted price near the end of it's run (what I usually do) as well. One of my sons was looking at DSLR and was hearing a lot of Nikon and Canon hype and wondering which one of the two to get. I told him I'd sell him the K10D cheap with battery grip (a must have, IMHO) and kit lens, so he's trying it out now. Told him the advantage of Pentax is you can use all their older glass if you want and I have quite a bit of it laying around.

For a lens I'm hanging on to my Pentax 18-250 DA I bought for my K10D shortly after I bought it, but the 18-270 is looking pretty tempting too.

I'l probably pull the trigger today - but also sorely tempted with B&H's prices on the Sony A5100 and A6000, which are both also $200 off, $498 & $598. The A5100 is an impressive looking unit, even some features the A6000 lacks, but the A6000 has the EVF, and the biggest reason I like shooting with DSLR over my mirrorless is I prefer viewfinders to live view LCD for composing.

I have a NEX-5N and it's been my go to camera lately and I love the video on the NEX series of cameras. Maybe I'll get my better 1/2 the Sony for Christmas if I can swing it :-) - she loves her Kx but likes how my Nex5 easily slips in my pocket just to take along, and the 16-50 lens on the A series Sony makes them even more compact.