Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

Almost bought a K-3

Earlier this week I began considering a K-3. Thanks to members I purchased a DA 15 and an A 50 1.4. About an hour ago I got an email from my boss telling me I'm getting a bonus based on one months salary. I thought to myself I could treat myself to a K-3 and now see they are out of stock at Adorama.

Looks like I'm supposed to stick to my K-5 and wait.....

Is that DA 21 calling my name?

11-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H has them in stock. Just sayin'
11-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
I just checked...hmmm..
11-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check with ProDigital 2000 in Canada I believe they have a international warranty and free shipping. Thay have a gun metal k3 with grip and also the regular black one.

11-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery

Go on... you know you want one!
11-27-2014, 03:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Shop very carefully. There are good deals popping up here and there. I just pulled the trigger on ebay for $619 shipped !
I was almost ready to buy my 2nd K30 as I was having multiple dilemas over it.
The smart logical /financial choice was another K30.......BUT........something bit me and I must have been in a mental fog and purchased the K3....lol
You know your gonna get it......NOW is your chance !
11-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GSiGuy Quote

Damn you! I'm going to spring for one.

Actually I gave this a lot of thought over the last week.

Way back when the K-3 first came out I was going to buy one. But I had just relocated back to my hometown of Chicago to start a new job. I put it off to treat myself to a new Cary SLP03 tube preamp for my other hobby which is semi high end audio. I thought about the time I bought my K-5. I did splurge and bought one after the first price reduction. I ended up with one with sensor stains and did get a replacement without that problem. And luckily I haven't had any problems with the camera after that other than when I broke the adjustable diopter. Sent it off to CRIS and it came back repaired, inspected for other potential problems of which there were none, and a firmware update.

The time before that I bought my K10D a month before the K20D came out. It served me well and still does I though it gets little use since I bought the K-5.

But here's my thinking about why a K-3 at this time will be perfect. It may be close to the end of its time on the market but it's now had time for most if not all the bugs to be worked out (hopefully). Sure the technology may be old but not to me. The camera performs way better than my first Pentax.....and in reality it will probably last me 5 or 6 years before it will be time to buy another one. Additionally it comes with a battery grip of which I've never had and my new DA 15 and DA 21 will look great on it and take fantastic photos. Of course all my other lenses will too.

Drats....B&H Photo is offline.

Last edited by BlakeShellman; 11-28-2014 at 09:00 PM.
11-29-2014, 01:55 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
Damn you! I'm going to spring for one.

Drats....B&H Photo is offline.
They're closed for the Sabbath.
Gives you more time to think it over.
11-29-2014, 02:59 AM   #9

Original Poster
That's what I figured. One thing I thought about. I've never had a battery grip. I imagine they are nice for allowing me to shoot for longer times before having to charge the battery. Other than that and making it look like it has a motor drive like the old days does it really add anything to the camera. I know it's free from B&H and Adorama but if worse comes to worse I can always order the camera direct from Pentax for $50 less. Sure I understand it's free but ...
11-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The battery grip also makes it easier to shoot in portrait orientation.
11-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The battery grip makes for a more balanced and easy to hold camera, especially if you have larger lenses (basically anything bigger than the Kit lens or Limited primes). I have a grip on my K-5 and wouldn't consider using it without a grip, unless I'm packing very light and small (e.g. no additional lenses).

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on a K-3 with free grip from B&H in the very near future...

---------- Post added 11-29-14 at 04:16 PM ----------

Yes, I want one. Unfortunately, I can't justify the price premium over a normal K-3. B&H is selling the black K-3 with free grip for $796, but the Prestige version with grip is going for $1196. That's a 50% Prestige Premium... wow. I could justify an extra $100-150 for the bad-ass looking Prestige... but not $400. It's the same camera!

QuoteOriginally posted by GSiGuy Quote

11-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
The battery grip also makes it easier to shoot in portrait orientation.
You know, I've seen that assertion many times and have always been mystified. There are any number of things in photography which I find difficult: shooting in portrait orientation is not one of them.

jus' sayin'
11-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
You know, I've seen that assertion many times and have always been mystified. There are any number of things in photography which I find difficult: shooting in portrait orientation is not one of them.

jus' sayin'
I agree, for a shot or three its no problem. But, if you are shooting in portrait for extended periods the arm position gets old without the grip in my experience. The grip adds four things that I find useful - all for a bit of added weight. It doubles your power. It gives a better grip to those with hands larger than the average middle school girl. It adds portrait orientation controls. And it allows for an extra SD card to be onboard. The last one is often overlooked but it has saved me on several occasions when I've left an SD card in the card reader. When my grip was in the shop for service I found I was so used to the better grip and second set of controls that I bought an inexpensive grip to use for a couple of weeks for $40. I was much happier shooting with it.
11-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I was much happier shooting with it.
Then totally worth it.
11-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree, for a shot or three its no problem. But, if you are shooting in portrait for extended periods the arm position gets old without the grip in my experience. The grip adds four things that I find useful - all for a bit of added weight. It doubles your power. It gives a better grip to those with hands larger than the average middle school girl. It adds portrait orientation controls. And it allows for an extra SD card to be onboard. The last one is often overlooked but it has saved me on several occasions when I've left an SD card in the card reader. When my grip was in the shop for service I found I was so used to the better grip and second set of controls that I bought an inexpensive grip to use for a couple of weeks for $40. I was much happier shooting with it.
Don't forgot: an extra LI-Ion battery, or the possibility of running off a set of AA's if you drain your main battery and need to keep shooting.