Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Auto ISO 100 on K-3

I can't figure out why my K-3 will not step down to ISO 100 when I have the automatic ISO set to 100-1600, even though it has sufficient light to do so. Thanks for the help.

11-27-2014, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you have highlight/shadow correction turned on?
11-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah that was it.... You know I thought shooting raw would disregard the highlight/shadow correction... So it does not eh? Thank you!!!!
11-27-2014, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In P mode, the tendency to go to Auto ISO 100 may depend a bit on the Program Line used (e.g. with High-speed priority it should be markedly reduced).

Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if you have set the Highlight Correction to "On". In that case ISO 100 is not available. You can change that directly in the control panel or via the <camera symbol>2 menu.

11-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, but does raw shooting correct for highlights and shadow if corrections are on? I thought raw was not applying any correction whatsoever?
11-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The same question was asked by a K-x user in this thread here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/95880-hi...orrection.html

The upshot seems to be, that such corrections, while not affecting the RAW image data directly, are stored in the RAW EXIFs, and may be accessed and used by some RAW processors in developing files.

In the K-3, there is also an Auto option for both corrections, which I have activated. Without having done rigorous testing, I have a hunch it does reduce the need for adjustments in Lightroom. If I want native ISO, I will select ISO 100 manually via the dedicated button.
11-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
In the K-3, there is also an Auto option for both corrections, which I have activated

Thank you. I just did a quick testing and auto highlight correction allows ISO 100... I will shoot this way for a while.

05-03-2015, 06:06 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I just did the testing, and in my case it is the shadow compensation that allows ISO100, not the highlights correction.
05-03-2015, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Here is what's going on regarding HC and SC in Raw.

The On setting in HC does apply to Raw, essentially underexposing by one stop - providing (extremely good) instructions to the raw converter on the proper roll off profile to be applied. Some lower end converters don't apply the instructions, but LR and C1 (among others) recognize the instruction. Without the information, you simply get one stop underexposure. In my K-3 experience, setting HC to Auto will only result in its application when severe blow out is occurring. Earlier implementations of Auto were more aggressive (K30/K50/K01) - hitting the right balance pretty much all the time. On the K-3, think of Auto as disaster prevention - saving some highlights when over-exposure is extreme. Shooting TAv I almost never see the HC trigger - even in high-contrast situations.

SC applies only to JPEGs. There is no impact on Raws - on any of the Pentax models.
05-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Here is what's going on regarding HC and SC in Raw.

The On setting in HC does apply to Raw, essentially underexposing by one stop - providing (extremely good) instructions to the raw converter on the proper roll off profile to be applied. Some lower end converters don't apply the instructions, but LR and C1 (among others) recognize the instruction. Without the information, you simply get one stop underexposure. In my K-3 experience, setting HC to Auto will only result in its application when severe blow out is occurring. Earlier implementations of Auto were more aggressive (K30/K50/K01) - hitting the right balance pretty much all the time. On the K-3, think of Auto as disaster prevention - saving some highlights when over-exposure is extreme. Shooting TAv I almost never see the HC trigger - even in high-contrast situations.

SC applies only to JPEGs. There is no impact on Raws - on any of the Pentax models.
What he said

Steve