Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #1

Prospective to actual

My beautiful new Gunmetal ltd edition will be arriving on Tuesday I've had it in my shopping basket at 'WEX' for 2 weeks umming and ahhing lol, went online today and they had reduced it by 100gbp and that finally made my mind up, they were also offering the 50mm 1.8 for 50gbp if bought with camera, I know it's not one of the top lenses but I ordered that also so I'd at least be able to play with it on arrival now got to save some pennies and maybe sell a few of my legacy lenses to grab a new lens or 2 for it. Looking forward to joining in with some photos etc.

Last edited by Tervueren; 11-30-2014 at 11:28 AM.
11-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tervueren Quote
the 50mm 1.8 for 50gbp if bought with camera, I know it's not one of the top lenses but I ordered that also
Actually that lens does quite well in real world. Not as well built as more expensive Limiteds but still and excellent performer.

Welcome to the forums!
11-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hello and welcome to the Pentax Forum community!

Nothing wrong with the 50/1.8 - hope you enjoy it.

If your legacy lenses are Pentax or Takumar (or other K-mount or M42 mount), you might find that they are quite useful on your new K-3. Many of the older lenses yield brilliant pictures.

- Craig
11-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks both
Currently I'm using my legacy glass on a Samsung NX300 after selling my NEX, some of which will no doubt find a place on the K3 but I own a lot of Minolta stuff as well so will move on some of them and maybe convert others as long as I can do a fully reversible job.

11-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hey, congratulations on your purchase! Beautiful camera, indeed, and capable! The DA 50mm f1.8 is a "affordable" lens, but its image quality is quite good, you will see! Similar to the DA 35mm f2.4, another "plastic fantastic" with amazing bang per buck. On many other systems you need to pay a significantly larger sum to get this kind of image quality
And here is a thread on legacy lenses, if you will need it later:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
I love using legacy lenses. K-mount don't need an adapter, and with the Catch in focus option you get something close to AF even on manual lenses. Older m42 screw mount lenses need a simple glassless adapter and can have really great image quality, as well! And that "film" look
11-30-2014, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tervueren Quote
... they were also offering the 50mm 1.8 for 50gbp if bought with camera, I know it's not one of the top lenses ....
I am going to venture (with no quantitative basis or proof), that the difference between the best lens and a consumer lenses are probably around 20%. The consumer lens is not going to have the large or fast aperture. The zooms are not going to have prime lens image quality. They not going to have all the corrections and coatings, nor the bomb proof over the top construction. The newer ones are going to have computer generated and tested optical designs that were impossible in years past.

But can a photographer take a great image with it? That is the single most important aspect - Absolutely! The camera is not going to say, great image, but so-so lens so I'll mess with the light a bit and screw things up. It will capture the image. At that point it is all about you - the photographer. Is that say 20% difference going to make the difference between a great image and just a good image? Possibly in a few instances, but overall - probably not. You can work a bit of magic in post processing and possibly make some repairs. But - the lens should for most purposes be more than good enough... Take a look at some of the images for the lens in the lens clubs. There are a lot of quality images there.
12-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
Well its arrived and wouldn't you just know I've been ill since lol, so I started sorting out my lenses and ordering various adapters to use with them, my first impressions are its definitely a good looking camera and feels great in my hand even with the grip fitted, slowly coming to terms with the menu (first pentax). Now really looking forward to getting out with it, hopefully Sunday or Monday, I haven't installed the software yet because my Imac's hard drive just failed, luckily I use an external drive as a time capsule so I've got to buy a replacement internal to fit and it will be all systems go, I hope lol