Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK a couple more for you. Indoor light, DA*60-250 @60mm, the K-3 clearly shows the magnification advantage, more resolution from the smaller pixels and more detail in the cloth of the book cover in part from the lack of AA filter..... if you aren't getting that, there's something wrong.

Last edited by normhead; 12-05-2014 at 03:01 PM.
12-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I'm not getting that. It's almost like mine has the AA filter simulator stuck on or something. I'll try checking under some other conditions and my 100mm prime. If I don't get a better result I'll send this one back for an exchange. You're obviously getting a huge resolution boost with yours.

Thanks so much for checking Norm.

---------- Post added 12-05-2014 at 03:22 PM ----------

60mm, F8 1.0" and 1.3 on the K5 for the same exposure, WB looks different, SR off and Tripod with delay.

I think somethings not right, it looks like the AA simulator is stuck on (it's set to off).

12-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Yeah I'm not getting that. It's almost like mine has the AA filter simulator stuck on or something. I'll try checking under some other conditions and my 100mm prime. If I don't get a better result I'll send this one back for an exchange. You're obviously getting a huge resolution boost with yours.

Thanks so much for checking Norm.

---------- Post added 12-05-2014 at 03:22 PM ----------

60mm, F8 1.0" and 1.3 on the K5 for the same exposure, WB looks different, SR off and Tripod with delay.

I think somethings not right, it looks like the AA simulator is stuck on (it's set to off).
Have you run the comparison yet in LV mode? That should eliminate any potential effects of focus mis-calibration.
12-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Have you run the comparison yet in LV mode? That should eliminate any potential effects of focus mis-calibration.
Yep, I'm focusing in manual in live view to eliminate any AF issues. I think I'm going to exchange this one for another. If that doesn't work out I think a Nikon D750 is in my future.

I just tried it out with the dogs running around. Like the K7, K5 that came before it AF-C is near worthless with the DA* 60-250. I think I got 5% keepers and the rest hopelessly out of focus. I didn't come to Pentax for AF. If you are in need of a camera that can track a running dog I would head strait for Nikon and Canon. This was an act of frustration. AF performed absolutely unacceptable with a dog running either strait or 45 degree angle crossing in your direction. This is not an action camera, that is for sure.

9/10 look like this in AF-C

Once and a while you get a keeper, honestly your better off using MF.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 12-05-2014 at 05:39 PM.
12-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Yep, I'm focusing in manual in live view to eliminate any AF issues. I think I'm going to exchange this one for another. If that doesn't work out I think a Nikon D750 is in my future.

I just tried it out with the dogs running around. Like the K7, K5 that came before it AF-C is near worthless with the DA* 60-250. I think I got 5% keepers and the rest hopelessly out of focus. I didn't come to Pentax for AF. If you are in need of a camera that can track a running dog I would head strait for Nikon and Canon. This was an act of frustration. AF performed absolutely unacceptable with a dog running either strait or 45 degree angle crossing in your direction. This is not an action camera, that is for sure.

9/10 look like this in AF-C

Once and a while you get a keeper, honestly your better off using MF.
Maybe consider a static shot using the LV-CDAF? I think that will deliver the best the body/lens combo can deliver which should tell you a lot about whether the K-3 is "bad" or not.
12-06-2014, 03:55 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would exchange it. My experience is that the K3 is equivalent to K5 at high iso, but at low iso it has more resolution. Certainly doesn't have the auto focus problems and softness that yours seems to have. I guess the only question is if you have the latest firmware on it. I would try that first, but if that doesn't fix it, send it back.
12-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
If you are in need of a camera that can track a running dog I would head strait for Nikon and Canon. This was an act of frustration. AF performed absolutely unacceptable with a dog running either strait or 45 degree angle crossing in your direction. This is not an action camera, that is for sure.
Give me a bit of time.... the dogs are out in the bush taking Tess on a walk right now, I'll see what I can do when she gets back. But that being said, for that type of shot, we use the DA 50 or the Tamron 90. And our keeper rate is about 4 out of 5. As the animal get close to the camera eventually the focusing motor can't keep up.

Top taken with a k-5 the bottom with a K-20d

It would make more sense for you to try this with a camera you know is working properly.

Last edited by normhead; 12-06-2014 at 08:03 AM.
12-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm returning this K-3 for another monday. I'm convinced something's not right with it. I ran every lens I own through checks against the K5 and X100s with a Spydercal lens focus adjustment tool. Only one lens needed a fine adjustment, the DA* 16-50. I don't think it's an AF issue though. It acts like the AA filter simulator is stuck on. Seems to make very little if any difference when you switch it on or off. The X100s has no AA filter and it's substantially sharper which is what I'd expect from the K-3. I tried live view, through the viewfinder and manual focus, they are just soft in everything. It just looks like an enlarged version of the K5. From the other photo's posted it looks like something is wrong with the sensor. I even reinstalled the Firmware to check if that would help. V 1.11 which was on the camera.

What I expect from the K-3 is the same level of resolution you see in the X100s shots having no AA filter.

Norm I should be getting more keepers, I've used the 60-250 with a K7 and then the K5 and it's pretty bad, but this is really bad.

From the Spydercal using the DA 16-50 at 23mm. Keep in mind the Fuji is a F2.0 lens and it's stopped down to 2.8. The DA* isn't it's best at 2.8. At any rate the K-3 looks pretty fuzzy.

23mm F2.8 ISO 100

K3/K5.

K3 X100s

K5 X100s

Last edited by LeeRunge; 12-06-2014 at 02:24 PM.
12-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I have been obsessed with this all day trying everything to see if the camera is physically defective or it's something software related. I ran everything up against the lens calibration tool, Lenses are all functioning fine with AF, so no issue there. The DA*60-250 just isn't fast enough to catch my dog running right at me.

I reinstalled 1.11 firmware and upgraded LR to 5.7 from 5.6. Something happened when I did that. I honestly feel the AA filter was bugged and stuck in the AA on setting as I tried bracketing them and they all looked the same. This is what they look like now, more like a sensor with no AA filter. I think the AA filter was stuck on somehow in the software. This looks even more clear on my monitor. Big improvement.

Another thing when I was checking all this. The K3 is outresolving the 16-50 at F2,8, it's soft in this area and you can't really see any improvement between the K5. When you stop down you see the increase in detail. Looks like we are hitting the limits on some of these lenses. The K-3 IS out-resolving the X100s now, although that Fuji sure holds it's own.
K3/K5 Firmware reinstall

K3 X100s 5.6

Last edited by LeeRunge; 12-06-2014 at 04:23 PM.
12-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Well I have been obsessed with this all day trying everything to see if the camera is physically defective or it's something software related. I ran everything up against the lens calibration tool, Lenses are all functioning fine with AF, so no issue there. The DA*60-250 just isn't fast enough to catch my dog running right at me.

HI reinstalled 1.11 firmware and upgraded LR to 5.7 from 5.6. Something happened when I did that. I honestly feel the AA filter was bugged and stuck in the AA on setting as I tried bracketing them and they all looked the same. This is what they look like now, more like a sensor with no AA filter. I think the AA filter was stuck on somehow in the software. This looks even more clear on my monitor. Big improvement.

Another thing when I was checking all this. The K3 is outresolving the 16-50 at F2,8, it's soft in this area and you can't really see any improvement between the K5. When you stop down you see the increase in detail. Looks like we are hitting the limits on some of these lenses.
K3/K5 Firmware reinstall
Outstanding... doesn't appear to be anything wrong based on those newest shots.
12-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I reinstalled 1.11 firmware and upgraded LR to 5.7 from 5.6. Something happened when I did that. I honestly feel the AA filter was bugged and stuck in the AA on setting as I tried bracketing them and they all looked the same. This is what they look like now, more like a sensor with no AA filter. I think the AA filter was stuck on somehow in the software. This looks even more clear on my monitor. Big improvement.

Another thing when I was checking all this. The K3 is outresolving the 16-50 at F2,8, it's soft in this area and you can't really see any improvement between the K5. When you stop down you see the increase in detail. Looks like we are hitting the limits on some of these lenses. The K-3 IS out-resolving the X100s now, although that Fuji sure holds it's own.
K3/K5 Firmware reinstall

K3 X100s 5.6

that's more like it, gotta say the fuji is still damn impressive though, and it has a leaf shutter so flash sync at any speed (sadly though the flashes are so so - I've been playing with the EF42 and it's ok but not great. It would be nice to see wireless ttl support
12-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that's more like it, gotta say the fuji is still damn impressive though, and it has a leaf shutter so flash sync at any speed (sadly though the flashes are so so - I've been playing with the EF42 and it's ok but not great. It would be nice to see wireless ttl support
It's looking good for the K-3. I probably bugged the software when I initially got it changing all kinds of settings. Reinstalling firmware seems to have fixed it, or the 5.7 LR update although the older shots look the same so I'm guessing firmware.

As for the X100s, yes! It's got one hell of a 16mp sensor. I'm looking forward to the 24mp sensor coming out soon.
12-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Good results.

But I'd set that focus test chart up in front of a plain black backdrop, not with the blinds of a bright window behind it. Makes life easier for camera and lens.