Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K3 came a few weeks ago wit f/w v 1.0 and a defective battery. Battery has been exchanged so I don't know the date on it. I upgraded the firmware and so far, so good.

12-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
You guys in N America are lucky, that $699 converts to 445 and I just paid 635 for my shiny new K-3, after a 70 instant cashback and allowing for a Pentax 70 cashback (I have to claim that). Bargain over here but not in comparison with the US. I wondered about importing it but after adding shipping, 20% VAT and import duty, it would have cost more than the 635.

Shutter count was 3 on the first image, battery date 201409 and K-3 manufacture date 2014:11:19 so I guess I win!

Firmware had been updated to 1.11, which I think is an excellent service from Pent.... umm, Ricoh!

I am keeping my trusty K-5 but I can't wait to get out with my new K-3, it feels good and so far all is working well. But they sent me a K-50 manual!
Thanks for the update, Dave L,
-agree that with the batch on 11.19.2014, you did score probably the latest and greatest... congrat!
-did they include the wrong k-50 manual in the box? how can it happen like that? The new k-3 manual has a different size, more like square shape..

With regard to pricing, I realize that everything in UK and Europe tend to be bit more expensive... does it carry one year or two year on standard warranty?

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 05:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
My K3 came a few weeks ago wit f/w v 1.0 and a defective battery. Battery has been exchanged so I don't know the date on it. I upgraded the firmware and so far, so good.
Did you check the manufacture date on the camera, and also shutter count?

Last edited by aleonx3; 12-17-2014 at 07:09 PM.
12-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

My camera was made December 18, 2013 and has a current shutter count of 142. Looks like mine may develop the mirror overrun problem. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. The serial number is on the 49xxxx range

Or maybe mine was factory repaired very early in it's life and put back in stock as new. It is legal to do this up to a certain point in the US.
12-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
My camera was made December 18, 2013 and has a current shutter count of 142. Looks like mine may develop the mirror overrun problem. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. The serial number is on the 49xxxx range

Or maybe mine was factory repaired very early in it's life and put back in stock as new. It is legal to do this up to a certain point in the US.
I tend to think the latest firmware v 1.11 would have this mirror flipping problem solved. As long as it is working, I am sure you will enjoy it.

12-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Thanks for the update, Dave L,
-agree that with the batch on 11.19.2014, you did score probably the latest and greatest... congrat!
-did they include the wrong k-50 manual in the box? how can it happen like that? The new k-3 manual has a different size, more like square shape..

With regard to pricing, I realize that everything in UK and Europe tend to be bit more expensive... does it carry one year or two year on standard warranty?
One year warranty from Jessops where I got it, but the price was so good that I decided to risk it (2 years is provided by Pentax Pro dealers in the UK). UK consumer law would mean I could still have a good claim anyway within 2 years (maybe more!) if any fault was an actual camera fault and not from misuse etc.

Regarding the manual, I emailed Jessops to complain and they contacted Ricoh, who agreed to send a K-3 manual to me direct. Ricoh sent it by express courier from Germany and it arrived today, so credit to both companies for that! There seems to be less in it than previous Pentax manuals though, and the type is so small that I have to remove my spectacles to read it!

Last edited by Dave L; 12-23-2014 at 09:54 AM.
12-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I don't recall getting the latest firmware on camera when purchased new, since when has that changed aside from K-3 which I have just received (bought in Black Friday sale). I think this is great move on Ricoh's part, for example, if one purchases new camera with older firmware, that means, it would be new from 'old' stock. Comments and thoughts?
When I bought my K5 it had the first version 1.00 firmware installed and it was a late production model, just when K5 II was being released. I just got a new K3 shipped this month from Adorama and it has firmware version 1.11 installed. This was a nice surprise as I was already to do a firmware update, and did not need to.
12-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
One year warranty from Jessops where I got it, but the price was so good that I decided to risk it (2 years is provided by Pentax Pro dealers in the UK). UK consumer law would mean I could still have a good claim anyway within 2 years (maybe more!) if any fault was an actual camera fault and not from misuse etc.

Regarding the manual, I emailed Jessops to complain and they contacted Ricoh, who agreed to send a K-3 manual to me direct. Ricoh sent it by express courier from Germany and it arrived today, so credit to both companies for that! There seems to be less in it than previous Pentax manuals though, and the type is so small that I have to remove my spectacles to read it!
Good for you... I guess Ricoh did their part to correct the mistake. I agree that the k-3 manual is little light compared to the previous models (K-5/IIs), but I think it is the new trend (and style too) for gadget manuals. I don't usually read the paper copy, mostly find the stuff via the soft copy on computer or tablet.

Enjoy your new camera!!! It is definitely nice and top quality, even compared to my k-5IIs (which I thought was great already).
Merry Xmas to you folks in UK and Europe....

---------- Post added 12-24-2014 at 01:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
When I bought my K5 it had the first version 1.00 firmware installed and it was a late production model, just when K5 II was being released. I just got a new K3 shipped this month from Adorama and it has firmware version 1.11 installed. This was a nice surprise as I was already to do a firmware update, and did not need to.
Happy for you and congrat on your new purchase... looks like you get the more recent production models. Don't forget to register your serial number to the database.
Merry Christmas and happy new year.... and don't forget to use your new toy to get those lovely pictures of festive and joyous holiday season!!
12-25-2014, 03:52 AM   #38

I tend to think the latest firmware v 1.11 would have this mirror flipping problem solved..
Unfortunately not fixed for me, my camera has reset 3 times since upgrading to V1.11.

John.

12-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
Unfortunately not fixed for me, my camera has reset 3 times since upgrading to V1.11.

John.
Sorry to hear you still have this problem; suggest you contact your Ricoh/Pentax support locally to get it checked out. Mine is working as it should so far.. 'keeping fingers crossed' - don't want to jinx it.
12-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #40

Sorry to hear you still have this problem; suggest you contact your Ricoh/Pentax support locally to get it checked out. Mine is working as it should so far.. 'keeping fingers crossed' - don't want to jinx it.
Just got my camera back from them. Unfortunately I was told Pentax don't actually have a fix, v1.11 firmware is all they have come up with so far.

John.
12-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Good for you... I guess Ricoh did their part to correct the mistake. I agree that the k-3 manual is little light compared to the previous models (K-5/IIs), but I think it is the new trend (and style too) for gadget manuals. I don't usually read the paper copy, mostly find the stuff via the soft copy on computer or tablet.

Enjoy your new camera!!! It is definitely nice and top quality, even compared to my k-5IIs (which I thought was great already).
Merry Xmas to you folks in UK and Europe....

---------- Post added 12-24-2014 at 01:06 PM ----------

Happy for you and congrat on your new purchase... looks like you get the more recent production models. Don't forget to register your serial number to the database.
Merry Christmas and happy new year.... and don't forget to use your new toy to get those lovely pictures of festive and joyous holiday season!!
I had some great holiday hands on with my new K3 both at Rockefeller Center in NYC and Longwood Gardens in southeast Pennsylvania. If you ever find yourself in the Northern Delaware/Southeastern Pennsylvania area you should check into a visit to Longwood Gardens. The Christmas display is incredible and during the summer so are the water lilies. I was very pleased with the performance with the K3, paired with DA 21 and DA 35 macro Limiteds both on the indoors and outdoors displays.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I had some great holiday hands on with my new K3 both at Rockefeller Center in NYC and Longwood Gardens in southeast Pennsylvania. If you ever find yourself in the Northern Delaware/Southeastern Pennsylvania area you should check into a visit to Longwood Gardens. The Christmas display is incredible and during the summer so are the water lilies. I was very pleased with the performance with the K3, paired with DA 21 and DA 35 macro Limiteds both on the indoors and outdoors displays.
Very nice indeed; I think k-3 paired with any of the small primes are way to go... I have the 3 amigos (FA ltd) but not the DA21 or DA35.
However, I have the 4 princesses (Topcon, 58f1.4, 58f1.8, 35f2.8, 135f3.5) m42 lenses which I use recently in all events (wedding, shows, parties etc.). K-3 allows me to keep shooting in landscape mode for people shot (with cropping).

Enjoy!!
12-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #43
Forum Member

I received my k3 today, came with v1.11 installed and a paper from Ricoh explaining the features of the fw.

What a camera! I see the learning curve lol. I'm currently shooting in manual doing my best to get some sharp images with my 50mm prime.

How do I look up my manufacture date?
12-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
How do I look up my manufacture date?
upload a picture here Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
12-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #45
Forum Member

ahh excellent

2014/11/07 I assume that's yyyy/mm/dd?

Now to study every page of the manual, to figure out this beast.

Fantastic ergonomics, the k50 didn't fit my fingers when I tried it in-store, but the k3 I couldn't ask for more.

Last edited by CNunez; 12-30-2014 at 08:52 AM.