Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
new K-3 comes with latest firmware 1.11

I don't recall getting the latest firmware on camera when purchased new, since when has that changed aside from K-3 which I have just received (bought in Black Friday sale). I think this is great move on Ricoh's part, for example, if one purchases new camera with older firmware, that means, it would be new from 'old' stock. Comments and thoughts?

12-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I don't recall getting the latest firmware on camera when purchased new, since when has that changed aside from K-3 which I have just received (bought in Black Friday sale). I think this is great move on Ricoh's part, for example, if one purchases new camera with older firmware, that means, it would be new from 'old' stock. Comments and thoughts?
I'll wildly guess it's partly due to the 1.11 firmware reducing the mirror flap issue - Ricoh may just be doing it to prevent more complaints on that problem. It's a good thing anyways.
12-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Forum Member

My K-3, bought in October 2014, also came with Firmware v1.11 preinstalled. There was even a notice about this firmware inside the box. Nice move from RICOH, IMO, it saved me the trouble of updating the camera. Especially because firmware update v1.13 PERMANENTLY BRICKED my K7.........
12-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That makes sense. I think you pretty well covered it.

Have fun with and enjoy your new camera.

Steve

12-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

According to the serial number my K3 was produced in June or July (checked it weeks ago, can't remember exactly), I ordered it mid-October and it came with a small note saying that the latest firmware (v1.11) had been installed.

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 12-01-2014 at 11:48 AM.
12-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
According to the serial number my K3 was produced in June or July (checked it weeks ago, can't remember exactly), I ordered it mid-October and it came with a small note saying that the latest firmware (v1.11) had been installed.
You can always check your camera's manufacture date from the EXIF data in the photo; I use PhotoME (free download).
12-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You can always check your camera's manufacture date from the EXIF data in the photo; I use PhotoME (free download).
That's what I did.

12-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

When I bought my K-7 in 2010 it had the latest firmware available then. Why wouldn't cameras ship new with the latest firmware? It literally adds zero time to the production process and benefits customers.
12-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
When I bought my K-7 in 2010 it had the latest firmware available then. Why wouldn't cameras ship new with the latest firmware? It literally adds zero time to the production process and benefits customers.
Because they may be produced, get the latest firmware, then get shipped to retailers and lie around in a warehouse or on a shop shelf for months. Meanwhile, new firmwares are being released and no one will take the camera from the shelf and give it an update before a customer buys it

As I said, I bought mine in October but it was produced in June or July - it still had the latest firmware, but I don't know when that firmware came out.
12-01-2014, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Not only did my new K-3 - which I received yesterday - come with FW 1.11, but according to the PF Shutter Count and Manufacture Date tool, it was manufactured on 2014:10:20. It came off the assembly line only five weeks ago! So much for those who think Ricoh is clearing old stock...
12-01-2014, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Not only did my new K-3 - which I received yesterday - come with FW 1.11, but according to the PF Shutter Count and Manufacture Date tool, it was manufactured on 2014:10:20. It came off the assembly line only five weeks ago! So much for those who think Ricoh is clearing old stock...
Me too.. just checked mine... manufactured on the same day. Did you update on the database here in the forum (I just did)?
I like the fact that they are willing to lower the price and put the them into the hands of the people who can appreciate the beauty and finely crafted equipment.
12-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great stuff, keep this thread going with models and serial numbers, the K-3 needs more good news stories
12-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Great stuff, keep this thread going with models and serial numbers, the K-3 needs more good news stories
I also like the fact that the battery included in the package has a manufacture date as well. The battery D-LI90 included in the k-3 has a sticker date of 201408.
12-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #14

A policy which I think Apple should be following given the cost of their products. I approached a salesman in my local Apple Store and asked him to confirm that I would have Yosemite installed as the operating system in a 21.5'' iMac that I am looking to buy. He indicated that whether I got Maverick or Yosemite was pure chance. He further added, after enquiring, that they did not have facilities to perform the upgrade for those who felt uncomfortable about doing it at home. It was implied that asking for the actual version of the operating loaded in the computer to checked before purchase was No No!

Yes, doing a major upgrade of a brand new computer's operating system is in theory straight forward but it is always potentially risky, particularly when performed by a relative tyro. As result I have decided to put off my purchase until I can reasonably certain that I will get Yosemite. Its not good enough! I think Apple, as result of their dominance in lifestyle products such as tablets and phones, are starting to get careless about the home computer base. Ricoh on the other hand seem to be going the other way with their photographic products (flashing LED's apart!) so well done Ricoh.
12-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
Forum Member

I got mine 3 weeks ago now I think and it was made in April. It came with the old firmware which I have since updated to 1.11