Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Batteries for a K3

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone know of good batteries to buy for the K3? Like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PREMIUM-Replacement-Rechargeable-Battery-Dot-Foto/dp...ax+k-3+battery

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxsimafoto-Battery-Li--replacement-warranty/dp/B004...d-li90+battery

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Digital-Camera-Battery-Equivalent/dp/B0042...tery+energizer

Are some makes better than others?

12-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The OEM one is the way to go if you can afford it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have access to the Wasabi brand? I've used the Wasabi brand batteries in my Q and they work just as good as OEM. I've also seen many users mention that they use Wasabi brands in their Pentax DSLRs without issues. I do not know of the three brands that you've listed (I didn't even know Energizer makes DLI90 batteries) - but if the Wasabi brand is in the same price range, it would be what I would recommend instead of OEM.

For example: http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Pentax-D-LI90/dp/B004U6KIJS/ref=s...d-li90+battery

It could be that they are all from the same original manufacturer, but I do not know.
12-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A lot of us have found these Wasabi batteries to be excellent and far less expensive. I like the 2 pack as it comes with a much more useable charger than the official Pentax one with the cord.
Amazon.com : Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Pentax D-LI90 and Pentax 645D, 645Z, K-01, K-3, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-7 : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo
Amazon.com : Wasabi Power Battery for Pentax D-LI90 and Pentax 645D, 645Z, K-01, K-3, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-7 : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo

12-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
A lot of us have found these Wasabi batteries to be excellent and far less expensive. I like the 2 pack as it comes with a much more useable charger than the official Pentax one with the cord.
+1. The Wasabi bundle of a charger plus 2 batteries is around $25 USD on Amazon. The batteries work with either charger, so for $25 you end up with 3 total batteries and 2 chargers. The original Pentax battery costs $45, and in the end you only have 2 batteries and 1 charger.

Edit: I just peeked at Amazon UK. Only one 3rd party seller and they want 99 pounds! Maybe Wasabi is known by another badge name in UK?
12-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have the OEM and two Wasabi as well as the both the OEM and Wasabi charger including car kit. I got the Wasabis this summer and so far their performance is good. I would caution that the Wasabi charger is lacks the third contact found on the Pentax charger and is technically for quick charge only.

Steve
12-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience with Wasabi and other third party brands is that initially performance will be fine, but run times will start to get shorter much sooner that they will with the OEM batteries.
I have stopped using the 3rd party units because they would die on me with little warning in the field.
The third party chargers, on the other hand, are very convenient and seem to charge the Pentax batteries fine.

12-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
My experience with Wasabi and other third party brands is that initially performance will be fine, but run times will start to get shorter much sooner that they will with the OEM batteries.
I have stopped using the 3rd party units because they would die on me with little warning in the field.
The third party chargers, on the other hand, are very convenient and seem to charge the Pentax batteries fine.
That has been my experience with Wasabi as well.
12-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Also check out this thread that discusses generic vs OEM DLi90 batteries for Pentax: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/280065-k-3-battery-discuss...ml#post3046936
No strict conclusion though other than that many are happy with the Generic 3rd party batteries, whereas others with me see them deteriorate faster. It would be interesting to understand if and how different chargers affect the lifetime of these batteries.