Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2014, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rain, the K-3 and a non WR lens, am I screwed?

If I get caught in a shower with my K-3 and a non WR lens (31/1.8), am I screwed as if the K-3 wasn't a WR body? Or do I get some advantage from the sealed body?

12-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
If I get caught in a shower with my K-3 and a non WR lens (31/1.8), am I screwed as if the K-3 wasn't a WR body? Or do I get some advantage from the sealed body?
Pretty much, since water can get in through the mount, not to mention into the lens. Always pair your camera with a WR lens when it's raining, or take cover!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a problem? As in does the camera no longer work? Do something weird?

Maybe I'm old school but I don't trust WR the way some seem to. it's great insurance if you get caught out but no guarantee of anything.

I've shot in the rain with non-WR cameras and lenses for years before anyone ever heard of WR and never had a problem. But I have a firm rule, every time I come in the gear gets wiped dry and placed in a warm dry space until I am sure it is completely dried.

So, no there is no particular reason you HAVE to be screwed. But I would take the lens off, dry everything as much as you can. If there is moisture anywhere inside you can pack it in dry rice or silica to pull the moisture out (with the lens on!!).
Several stories posted here from guys who had totally dead cameras from getting them wet and a few days in the rice brought them back to life.
12-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
there shouldn't be any problems as long as you are still careful with your equipment keep the lens cap on until you have to take a photo, point the camera down so water will be less likely to get into the mirror box - even with WR lenses bad things can happen. I personally have had my camera soaked with rain along with my less than weather resistant sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 HSM. There was water on the lens contacts, there were a few drops of water on the lens. The camera and lens were both fine, though the O-ME3 viewfinder magnifier fogged up completely.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-02-2014 at 02:40 AM.
12-02-2014, 12:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

When I paired my K-5ii with a Sigma 17 - 70 mm f2.8-4 macro as a standard kit, I just tossed a couple of the OpTech rain sleeves in the bag, just in case. They weigh virtually nothing and take up very little room.

Amazon.com : OP/TECH USA Rainsleeve - 18-Inch (2-Pack) : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo
12-02-2014, 12:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You should be fine, as I've brought my K3 w/ Sigma 105 macro & Yongnuo 560II out when it's come down pretty good. Make sure to bring a plastic bag if you can to help cover your gear.

Just be careful with the LTD since it's metal and you don't want any stray drops to get into the focus ring area. You can also use a hood like I use (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007A72AR2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which will at least protect the front element from getting wet. On the 77, it prevents the built in hood from fully extending, preventing a little extra protection (in my experience) from stray water.
12-02-2014, 12:32 AM   #7

WR is weather resistance....not water proofed........
i wouldn't do it....

12-02-2014, 06:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

like has been pointed out even with a WR lens there are no real guarantees, that said I've shot many times in downpours with a sigma 24-70 2.8 and the k10 or k7. I kept dry cloths handy, and in lags in shooting pointed down and cxovered with one of said colths. I do the samer with my non WR XE2 and lenses and for that matter have doen something similar with every camera i've ever owned ((aside from the k10/k7/XT! none have been "WR" )
Common sense and silica bags in your camera bag (which will rapidly fill with humidity )
12-02-2014, 06:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All sounds like good common sense. Thx.
12-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man I would put my FA 31 in my pants!
12-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
All WR lenses have only the red rubber ring on the mount to seal against the camera, so in that respect all are equal. WR zooms are slightly more of a risk because like the 60-250, they have barrels that retract into the lens. These have seals at the ends of tubes, but I think they are at greater risk than a totally internal zoom and focus lens like the 50-135. Zoom slowly.
12-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The whole "weather sealed" is a bit of a joke. I originally had the K-50 and the kit WR lens which I bought mainly for one specific event, a local dog swim at the pool. Nice warm sunny day. Lots of very wet dogs (90% Golden Retrievers, the rest mostly Labs) and lots of humidity. After only a few shots the lens was so fogged up pictures were crappy. I can't imagine having to rely on WR labeling to keep things dry in a true downpour, let alone at a swimming pool.

I bought a Canon 1Ds MkII for my next trip to the pool and a 70-200mm L (weather sealed) lens. I'll let you know if it fares any better. Next August.
12-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
The whole "weather sealed" is a bit of a joke. I originally had the K-50 and the kit WR lens which I bought mainly for one specific event, a local dog swim at the pool. Nice warm sunny day. Lots of very wet dogs (90% Golden Retrievers, the rest mostly Labs) and lots of humidity. After only a few shots the lens was so fogged up pictures were crappy. I can't imagine having to rely on WR labeling to keep things dry in a true downpour, let alone at a swimming pool.

I bought a Canon 1Ds MkII for my next trip to the pool and a 70-200mm L (weather sealed) lens. I'll let you know if it fares any better. Next August.
Where was the lens fogged up? Front glass?
12-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #14

I think a modern DSLR is vulnerable to moisture in many ways old film cameras aren't.
Electronics are highly integrated SMD, which means: small structures, and very sensitive to fault currents.
Nowadays, even tiny drops of moisture can cause permanent damage to the electronics as long as the camera is turned on.

What's equally important is the electronics inside the lens. Even if the moisture doesn't reach the camera, the lens can be affected by it, as long as it is DC, SDM or electronic aperture.
If the lens electronics get wet, there's also a high risk of the body taking damage due to fault currents caused by the lens.

IMHO, if you absolutely have to go non-WR in the rain, try to use an all-manual lens, it's the safest bet. Turn off your camera in between shots. If you notice any glitches, immediately turn it off and take out the batteries. Only turn it on again after you tried everyting to get the moisture out again.
12-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

WR is Weather Resistant, not Weather Sealed. That means you don't need to panic if you get a few sprinkles on it.
Here in Florida, any sunny day can turn into rain in less than an hour. I wouldn't take the FA-31 out without a plastic bag in my pocket.