Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Where was the lens fogged up? Front glass?
Aye, as far as I could tell. Inside the front element. It dried out ok, eventually.

12-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
Or do I get some advantage from the sealed body?
Yes.

I have no WR lenses and frequently shoot in inclement weather with my K-3. I take reasonable care to avoid soaking my kit and am also careful as to choice of lenses. I figure that lenses with built-in motors might be a poor choice to risk water damage with. Legacy manual focus lenses, OTOH, are usually fairly water resistant by design.

Steve
12-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Aye, as far as I could tell. Inside the front element. It dried out ok, eventually.
It's definitely not normal to have some condensation inside a WR lens, unless it built up before the lens was mounted.
12-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
It's definitely not normal to have some condensation inside a WR lens, unless it built up before the lens was mounted.
The lens was never off the camera, but I suppose it could have been there before shooting.

12-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I get caught in a shower with my K-3 and a non WR lens (31/1.8), am I screwed as if the K-3 wasn't a WR body? Or do I get some advantage from the sealed body?
officially - this is bad.

off the record - likely no problem whatsoever. I've gotten drenched in rain, thick fog, and ocean spray with my non WR lenses on the K5 and 645D and as long as i wipe the lens base before changing lenses, I rarely see any more than the slightest ingress of water at the mount, never anything for me to worry about. I have on occasion wrapped a bit of Glad Press n' Seal or Saran Wrap around the focus ring and mount of a non WR lens if i was intentionally taking it into rain, but really, you may be pleasantly surprised.

good luck!

PS - I was out storm chasing last night with K5 and Sigma 10-20 and it got rained on. I just lightly wiped with a micro fiber towel and put the gear in my bag. Gear is ready for the next outing.
12-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
When I paired my K-5ii with a Sigma 17 - 70 mm f2.8-4 macro as a standard kit, I just tossed a couple of the OpTech rain sleeves in the bag, just in case. They weigh virtually nothing and take up very little room.

Amazon.com : OP/TECH USA Rainsleeve - 18-Inch (2-Pack) : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo
Yep! WR or not, I would always take this precaution!
12-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I wouldn't take the FA-31 out without a plastic bag in my pocket.
There you go. In general, I think plastic bags are the work of the devil but I always have one in my pocket if there's any chance of rain.

12-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I've shot in drizzle and light rain many time with my K200D and non-WR lenses with no issues. I keep one of these it the bag for heavy rain.

http://www.amazon.com/Cover-Camera-Protector-Canon-Pentax/dp/B00448SNN0/ref=...ra+rain+sleeve
12-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #24
Veteran Member

My K-5 never had any issues shooting with the Tamron 17-50 in the rain and around waterfalls in Iceland. As others stated, one should always take precautions to dry the camera off, let it dry when it gets wet, and so-forth.

I never change lenses when shooting in wet conditions. I use a rain jacket and umbrellas to keep things mostly dry, and I've had no issues. The K-3 hasn't had any issues despite my first thought that it had some issues in a drizzle. It turned out to be a faulty switch unrelated to rain, and the photos turned out awesome. With the K-3, I stuck with the 18-135 because I was trying to travel with a one lens kit.
12-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lawjie Quote
WR is weather resistance....not water proofed........
i wouldn't do it....
Per Pentax,WR is Water Resistance, not weather.
All Weather (AW) is dust n water resistance. The DA * family.
12-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Per Pentax,WR is Water Resistance, not weather.
All Weather (AW) is dust n water resistance. The DA * family.
Per Pentax, the K-3 is "weather resistant" as well as "water, fog, snow, sand, and dust resistant", WR lenses are also marketed as being "weather resistant" and "dust resistant". The Pentax lens brochure explicitly states that WR = "weather resistant".

Steve
12-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anybody buying into this:

58mm WR Protector AFC9D0
Categories:
Lens
Filter

Water & Oil repellent- repels water drops and is fingerprint resistant
Antistatic- filter prevents microscopic dust clinging to the surface
An ideal, colorless filter for regular use- it will not affect color reproduction
12-17-2014, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

If WR doesn't count for weather resistant, then my DA 20-40 WR has been pretty lucky to survive some walking around with me.

@KShapero, interesting that Sigma has a whole series of WR filters. They appear to only be protective of the front element, so I don't see much point to them (besides being used in conjunction with Canon/Nikon WR lenses that "require" a front filter). I don't think it has a seal on the threads so it probably would not be useful with a rain-sleeve.
12-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

That's what the DA 18-135mm is for. It's well worth a few f-stops of light for some extra seals.
12-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Anybody buying into this:

58mm WR Protector AFC9D0
Categories:
Lens
Filter

Water & Oil repellent- repels water drops and is fingerprint resistant
Antistatic- filter prevents microscopic dust clinging to the surface
An ideal, colorless filter for regular use- it will not affect color reproduction
It's so VERY BIG so it must be good.

Steve