Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #1

Flu card question

How well does it work? I've read several very negative reviews.

12-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I ordered one but it hasnt arrived yet. I noticed the negative reviews too, but then ALOT of people werent using it properly at all. Composition must be turned off for starters. It is confusing as it seems to function as a WiFi/LAN at the same time.
I dont see any real problems with it as I studied the Manuals and got it figured out after about 6 hrs on the computer.
I think it will work just fine.
Besides what other method is there to tether to a tablet ? None at all.....kinda like the cart before the horse.
Oh....dont use the Flu card website and app.....they DONT apply to this Pentax Flu version at all for full function.
12-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
It's pretty slow (for downloading files) and the range is limited, but it works!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Agree with Adam.. it works but not that fast.. the interface coudl be better and some controls could be some how better.. buttons specially.. BUT.. it Works..

could be really nice if a hacker give us some other firmware that pushes all of the potential.

12-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #5

Is it possible activate a timer via a FluCard?
One of the main advantages of the remote liveview is making selfphotos.
12-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
Is it possible activate a timer via a FluCard?
One of the main advantages of the remote liveview is making selfphotos.
Just remember there is a bit of lag in live view and also a bit on capture. I believe it amounts to about .50-.60 second total.
Buy a cheap wireless infared remote from Ebay for like $2 and snap away ?
Oh.....and remember this is from a guy that doesnt even have his yet...study...study...study....lol
12-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #7

I have the FluCard. I also have a wireless IR remote control. However sometimes both options don't satisfy me at all.

When I want to make a photo of my family and me using IR remote control, our position becomes misalinged quite often. Remote LiveView helps a lot but to be on all photos with a mobile phone in my hand is kind of weird.
12-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

hi
@skyer had the same problem with family shots... the solution was to get a second tripod plus an external cheap Chinese screen with batery (100 bucks) hooked to the tripod & conected to the hdmi port of my k5/k3 directing the people (incl. myself) in front of the camera... had it first on top of the camera but especially if you shoot wide angle to get a nice composition with landscape in the back the screen was to far a way.... thats why i now bring the screen on the tripod as close outside of the camera-view to get every body in place and than you just need to make sure everybody is looking to the camera instead of the screen :-)
I have the flucard but I dont find it to handy.. i could imagine mounting a tablet to the tripod and use that as the extra screen (but i dont own a tablet and just for that?)...the cable & screen is faster and then triggering with the ir-remote works just perfect... witht the 3 or 10 seconds delay

Last edited by max_pyne; 12-03-2014 at 05:52 AM.
12-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use it for landscape. I had issues on and off...first was a setting issue. After that I was getting weird colors, but I use it take photos at different angles and such that I don't use a tripod for. Can only view jpg files in the interface. It could be better. I use it with a kindle and get it to work with the silk browser now.
12-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Effect on overall camera speed has been the main thing that has kept me from using it often. To be useful to me it would have to be in the camera most of the time and I cannot do that without losing the normally impressive speed of the K3.
12-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think it drains batteries too, but I could be mistaken. Neat concept though, and I use it, just needs some tweaking. I was expecting a lot more when I got it.
12-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #12

Original Poster
So sounds as if whether or not it works is hit and miss and that when it works it is slow. I wanted to be able to use it to upload photos to my computer and interface with my tablet so the tablet could act as a remote. I don't want slow and I don't want hit or miss. I can take the card out of the camera (which I don't have yet) and put it in the computer's card reader slot and transferring the photos is very fast. Doesn't seem that, even with the low price of the flu card in a bundle, it is something that I would use that much. When is the K-3ii with built-in wifi that works well going to be available?
12-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Most - though not all - negative reviews that I have read come from people who didn't read the specifications before they bought and thus, got dissapointed because of too high expectations.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's pretty slow (for downloading files) and the range is limited, but it works!
I agree and could add that fuctionality in respect of allowable shooting modes is also limited more than I can really understand why. But it works and does very well what it promises. Further, for a person like me, who wants to walk lightfoot with no grip, no external power supply, the extra power drain on the battery can be felt - but it is actually quite amazing that such a small device can reach out to some 10 meters.

When is the K-3ii with built-in wifi that works well going to be available?
I know: I'm an old-fashioned purist, but I want my K-3 as a camera not as an oversized smartphone. And I like to have my GPS (O-GPS1 - I love it) and my wireless controls (FluCard - could certainly be improved) as efficient accessories rather than built-in so-so features.
12-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Iamwhoiam, I've got one with my K-S1, and it's similar to my Samsung Mini NX.

They both have lag when used, and display and transfer JPGs only. The Samsung works through their phone app, the Pentax through any web browser.
12-04-2014, 05:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I ordered one but it hasnt arrived yet. I noticed the negative reviews too, but then ALOT of people werent using it properly at all. Composition must be turned off for starters. It is confusing as it seems to function as a WiFi/LAN at the same time.
I dont see any real problems with it as I studied the Manuals and got it figured out after about 6 hrs on the computer.
I finally found that little tid bit of pertinent information (that it won't work with compensation checked) in an online downloaded instruction manual (the very last line), that was referred to by a link in the brochure that was included in the card itself on delivery. The date on the online brochure is after the date the brochure given with the card, meaning that was added at a later date. I used it with no problem for the months leading up to the firmware update and never used live view, so something along the way got checked on. But the information about composition needing to be off was not included when it first came out. And weirdly through 4 weeks of tech support with FLU and Pentax and even pentax approving a replacement card (at one point they sent me an update for the card that removed the mac address) no one bothered to mention that information, so there WAS an issue there early on with information not being out there.