Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #1

Tablet connection

Hi

I just got my K-3 two days ago, and i do a bit of timelapsing that i hope the k-3 could be perfect for.
However there are one big issue i got and maybe some of you can help me in the right direction.

I used a software called DSLRdashboard with my old cannon 450d, really handy when it comes to making holy grail shots!

My problem now is that i cant find any software for android tablet that i can connect my K-3 with by cable.
Each time i connect it i get the message Pc-5 or Pc-P on the top display and nothing else works.
I want a software that lets me take timelapse images and change the camera appature either by wi-fi or cable.
The flucard has one lack which is essentialand that is histogram view... I need that to make it work so thats why the DSLR-dashboard
is my nr1 choice.

So to summarize it up:

1. Does anyone know how to connect to the DSLRdashboard with K-3 ?
OR
2. Is there a android software that works with cable usage (Not flucard)
OR
3. What does the Pc-P & Pc-5 mean?

If there is anyone that uses the K-3 to make timelapses i would like to hear what you use
And if this thread was unclear please ask and i will try to explain myself better!

12-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flucard is pretty much your only option. The only current Pentax camera that supports wired tethering and live view in the 645Z.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no cabled tethering available for the k-3.

Not familiar with DSLRdashboard but I would assume it is Canon only, yes?

FLUcard is at this time the only tethering solution available

There was an indie program developed called PK_tether but I think it only works on earlier cameras, not k-3 AFAIK.
12-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
No solution...?

Thanks for the reply Adam & Jatrax!

I need som kind of control of the camera either wireless or cabled, and with the Flucard i read that it only works in single shot mode (WHY?) which is kind of useless when doing timelapse photography...
Its kind of frustrating that there seem to be no 3rd party software that could solve these things...

Im going to use the weekend to think about returning the K-3 for another camera. I wanted a upgrade from the old 450d in ALL aspects, but this was in my use-case a downgrade:/

Well enough complaining, i will keep looking for a solution!
If you think of something else that might help please give me a shout

Thanks again

07-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tomtkt Quote
If you think of something else that might help please give me a shout
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
07-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
The company went bankrupt, but if you can find somebody selling their hardware, the software is still downloadable - TriggerTrap.

TriggerTrap runs on both Android and iOS and offers a LOT of different timelapse options in addition to shutter activation based on the phone's sensors. Basically the software sends a tone to the headphone jack. TriggerTrap is plugged into the headphone jack and converts the tone into a switch recognized by the camera's remote release port. By the way the Pentax cable is the same one used by a number of Canon cameras.

Your camera is set to Bulb and the software controls the frequency and duration of exposure. You can use two devices with TriggerTrap software where one wirelessly controls the other one connected to the camera. The one thing you don't get is a live view on your phone/tablet.
08-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #7

I use the Flucard for all my timelapse shooting.

I set the interval between shots & number of shots with my intervalometer & let it run.
You can then use your Android phone or tablet to control Apture, Shutter speed, ISO on the fly using the Flucard, works well.

It's not as comprehensive as DSLRDashboard but it dashboard only works for Cannon & Nikon cameras from memory.

08-10-2018, 04:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have a look at Spark (Spark Camera Remote - Alpine Labs). It may not be what you're looking for, but in terms of multishot control from tablet or smartphone, it offers quite a few possibilities...

Alpine Labs also makes another product called Pulse, but that's not for Pentax (akin to DSLRDashboard I guess).

Wim
08-10-2018, 05:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would this work?
pkTriggerCord
08-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Would this work?
pkTriggerCord
Sure, it's in the compatibility matrix as well as the O-FC1 (Flucard).
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
09-07-2018, 12:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tomtkt Quote
And if this thread was unclear please ask and i will try to explain myself better!
So what could you take for you from the replies?