Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 doesn't report lenses in EXIF

Is there a setting I've missed somewhere which will cause the K3 to report the lens name in the EXIF data? My K5iis does it, but the K3 doesn't.

12-04-2014, 02:46 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Whatever software you're using to view files most likely needs an update. If you'd like to test your camera's files, upload one straight out of the camera using our attachment system, and see if the lens ID is there in the EXIF dropdown

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-04-2014, 03:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You can also drop your images onto EXIFtool to see what it is reporting.

Lightroom, DxO and other software seem to have little problem finding the lenses attached to my K-3
12-04-2014, 03:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have any problem with Lightroom identifying my lenses.

12-04-2014, 04:31 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, thanks everyone. I've used the shutter count check (a mere 217) to display the full EXIF data from a jpeg and the name of the Tamron lens is there. I'll see if I can get updates for the software I'm using.
12-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
OK, thanks everyone. I've used the shutter count check (a mere 217) to display the full EXIF data from a jpeg and the name of the Tamron lens is there. I'll see if I can get updates for the software I'm using.
Does it come across as "Sigma or Tamron Lens" or something like that? Something about third party lens makers reverse engineering specifications at some point made that a problem, though I think the software should be able to work around it.
12-04-2014, 10:07 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The lens information is there in the makernotes section of the exif, but it is stored as a numeric code that may or may not be understood and mapped to a meaningful name by your software. Here are a few bullet points:
  • If you want to confirm the code for your lens, Phil Harvey's Exiftool is free and is usually up-to-date with support for all but the most recently released cameras and lenses. Unfortunately, while powerful and comprehensive, it is a little opaque to many users who are not geeks.
  • Adobe support for Pentax cameras with newer lenses is spotty. Lightroom 5.6, for example, properly parses and stores the lens code in the catalog on import, but may not map it automatically to the appropriate lens profile nor display the lens name. Go figure. I don't know about other software vendors.
  • Only lenses that have a data pin (all K-mount AF lenses) will transmit a lens code. For others the lens is coded as "0 0" (non-conductive mount/no lens), "1 0" (conductive mount K or M series), or "2 0" (A contacts present, no data pin, A series).
  • For a full list of codes known to Exiftool (exhaustive, but not authoritative) see LINK.
More than you ever wanted to know, eh?

Here is a link to the Exiftool Web site: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-04-2014 at 10:14 AM.
12-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Does it come across as "Sigma or Tamron Lens" or something like that? Something about third party lens makers reverse engineering specifications at some point made that a problem, though I think the software should be able to work around it.
The whole title of the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is in there. I actually first noticed the issue with the combination of the DA*300 and the TC. The thing which surprises me is that the same software recognised the lenses with the K5iis, and the tags shouldn't have changed.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The lens information is there in the makernotes section of the exif, but it is stored as a numeric code that may or may not be understood and mapped to a meaningful name by your software. Here are a few bullet points:
  • If you want to confirm the code for your lens, Phil Harvey's Exiftool is free and is usually up-to-date with support for all but the most recently released cameras and lenses. Unfortunately, while powerful and comprehensive, it is a little opaque to many users who are not geeks.
  • Adobe support for Pentax cameras with newer lenses is spotty. Lightroom 5.6, for example, properly parses and stores the lens code in the catalog on import, but may not map it automatically to the appropriate lens profile nor display the lens name. Go figure. I don't know about other software vendors.
  • Only lenses that have a data pin (all K-mount AF lenses) will transmit a lens code. For others the lens is coded as "0 0" (non-conductive mount/no lens), "1 0" (conductive mount K or M series), or "2 0" (A contacts present, no data pin, A series).
  • For a full list of codes known to Exiftool (exhaustive, but not authoritative) see LINK.
More than you ever wanted to know, eh?
Here is a link to the Exiftool Web site: ExifTool by Phil Harvey
Thanks Steve! Very informative. I've upgraded to PSP 7 but I haven't had the chance to check whether it picks up the lens data from the EXIF; it's not very smart with EXIF data even in version 6. Hopefully I won't have to buy DxO 10 to get EXIF data. I can always install the Pentax software for browsing, but I've never found it very useful. I generally use Irfanview for previewing because it's very fast and lightweight but this is the first time it hasn't returned the EXIF data properly.
12-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #9

I also use Phil Harvey's excellent Exiftool but I use it with the GUI listed on his website, ExifToolGUI, makes it a lot easier
12-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stumpy Quote
I also use Phil Harvey's excellent Exiftool but I use it with the GUI listed on his website, ExifToolGUI, makes it a lot easier
Thanks for the pointer!
12-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

Thanks Steve! Very informative. I've upgraded to PSP 7 but I haven't had the chance to check whether it picks up the lens data from the EXIF
Errrr.. PSP7 - are you sure?
PSP7 was released Sep, 2000. The very first Pentax DSLR was released in 2003. You're expecting way too much if you think PSP7 should show you all EXIF..
12-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Errrr.. PSP7 - are you sure?
PSP7 was released Sep, 2000. The very first Pentax DSLR was released in 2003. You're expecting way too much if you think PSP7 should show you all EXIF..
I was thinking the same thing. Paint shop pro 7? Not sure what else psp could be even as a typo. Photoshop 7 is just as old.

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 12:26 AM ----------

Oh! Apparently they got bought out by Corel and at some point Corel decided to use a screwed up naming scheme. If I'm reading it right, jasc sold out at version 12, which Corel renamed "X2" .. Then x3,4,5, etc.. And now version x7, which would have been version 17 by any logical progression.

I honestly didn't know that software even still existed.
12-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It doesn't, it's been Corelized...

And yes, it does help if people can be accurate in what they post.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 12-06-2014 at 05:10 AM.
12-06-2014, 04:46 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
It doesn't, it's been Corelized...

And yes, it does help of people can be accurate in what they post.
Steve, I never asked for your input with respect to Paintshop Pro.
12-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't need your permission to post, Rob. This is an internet forum, I am free to comment as much as you or anyone else. If you could at least be clearer about the software you are using, folks might better able to help you.
So, is it PSP 7 or PSP X7 you are using?
Closed Thread