Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K-3 recommended camera & software settings

As a new user of the K-3, I'd find it useful hearing from those who have extensive time with the camera regarding its settings and in software. As far as I can tell, no universal thread has been set up for this purpose. This is surprising considering that so much has changed regarding AF, sensor, and new settings on the K-3.

Although I primarily depend on RAW, I'd like to hear about experiences regarding the various sharpness settings, contrast, color saturation, noise reduction, AF, etc. For instance, it has been mentioned that 27-point AF is not ideal for many situations, but I haven't heard good explanations about the reasoning. Its also good to get those global tonal settings close to ideal so that less work is necessary at time of conversion (I generally shoot RAW+).

I don't shoot a lot of video, but would also like to hear recommendations on video settings regarding SR, contrast, auto audio vs. manual setting, etc.

Recommendations regarding RAW processing also would be appreciated. Personally, I've made some headway on this with my initial images. I see that less sharpening is necessary (compared to the K-30), and perhaps that also allows for less NR, as well. It is clear that the sensor wants to shift toward green hues in low color temperatures, but it seems that adjusting WB for 2500, 2700 and 3000 in the K1, K2, K3 settings can correct the problem. Solutions for the various skin tones concerns would be helpful. Possibly it is especially difficult for LR with its less-precise color adjustments, but so far with the Capture One software I don't see nailing skin tones as all that difficult (I use both programs, but rarely care for LR rendering when processing portraits). As an aRGB shooter, perhaps that has made it easier for me to get decent skin tones, or perhaps, using Natural setting - and bringing down contrast at both the highlight and shadow areas. I like it that most of us here lean toward natural, more muted tones that appear realistic.

Obviously, I don't want everyone here trying to provide all of their settings. I'd appreciate hearing about your top, most-effective changes you've set up that improve imaging over the standard settings. As many of us have experience with the 16 mp sensors, comparing the difference in settings to those (K-5 series, K-01/30/50 series) would be useful.

Thank you!

12-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Review: Pentax K-3 - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
12-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This setting here are a good start, though I chose to not follow these suggestions:
  • Electronic level in viewfinder (replaces meter graph)
  • Highlight/shadow correction
  • Bulb mode setting
Overall, the most useful settings are similar to those you were using on your K-30. Where there is divergence is the fine points of AF-C configuration.

Steve
12-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
While I certainly appreciate how helpful Adam is with his reviews - and the K-3 in particular - his recommended settings aren't a comprehensive listing, generally are not explained in detail, and might not be universally agreed upon.

For instance, the K-3 has individualized NR settings for each full EV stop. I wasn't particularly happy with dramatic K-30 incursion at 3200+. For sure, I feel I can do better in LR (let alone the various plug-ins). I suspect NR auto in the K-3 will closely match the K-30 - jumping suddenly to the medium setting. I'm pretty sure those of you who have experimented some with individual NR settings have found better settings, and detailed reasons for them.

---------- Post added 12-06-2014 at 01:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
[LIST]

Overall, the most useful settings are similar to those you were using on your K-30. Where there is divergence is the fine points of AF-C configuration.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. Could you elaborate on those fine points? I generally set the camera to require the sharpest (focus priority). I shoot a lot in manual focus, but hope to find AF adequate in more situations with the K-3. On the K-30, I found that AF.A was useless. Is it better implemented on the K-3?

In any event, I started this thread not totally for my personal edification. Many of us are new to the K-3, having taken advantage of the great deals offered. If others have questions about specific settings (or software), I'd encourage them to participate here.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 12-06-2014 at 12:08 PM.
12-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
hanks, Steve. Could you elaborate on those fine points?
I wish I could, but I seldom shoot in AF-C and haven't played with those. I never shoot in AF-A (control freak)

The same is true for most of the settings that are for JPEG only (NR, shadow correction and such), I know they are there, but have not changed them from default.

Steve

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 12:35 PM ----------

I shoot a lot in manual focus, but hope to find AF adequate in more situations with the K-3.
Sorry for addressing things piecemeal. I too shoot mostly manual focus except with my new Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 (C) (short focus throw). With that lens I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the K-3 does in situations were I would have expected a total failure. This summer, I was at a cultural fair and was not able to handle AF-S/center point when shooting a big group of dancers. They were moving too fast. I decided to take the cowards way out and put the camera in AF-C, multi-point AF. I was amazed that the K-3 came through with proper subject selection and tracking for movement even in the z-axis. Be prepared to be impressed.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-06-2014 at 01:40 PM.
12-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Odd you mention that, Steve. I was wondering about that, trying to figure out the improvement. Decent AF was a main reason for upgrade. I'm also an AF.S guy. Caught up in the very cold North, not many moving options currently; my remaining dog is 19, and doesn't dance these days (but can see a camera fine and doesn't like photos even though I never shoot him with flash).

I'm also considering that Sigma lens to replace my 16-45 and FA28-70 down the road; worry a bit about wide sharpness, variable aperture, color rendition - I like Pentax warmth. (I work a lot with an MF 14mm now, so can afford to consider going to 17mm at wide).
12-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I get better results with Capture One too. Frankly, I do most my of work under just two tabs - the one that starts with exposure and the one that has the white balance at the top. I usually start with auto adjust, and then just go down the line with the controls (more or less in order) until the photo looks pretty good. After practicing this routine on a good number of photos I became pretty comfortable with it, so that most photos take a few minutes to adjust to my liking. But honestly, I'm usually not trying to get a specific "look," I'm just trying to get each photo to about 80% of the best it could be in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm also very fond of the print module - I think it's one of C1's best features.

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 04:02 PM ----------

I'm also considering that Sigma lens to replace my 16-45 and FA28-70 down the road; worry a bit about wide sharpness, variable aperture, color rendition - I like Pentax warmth. (I work a lot with an MF 14mm now, so can afford to consider going to 17mm at wide).
Based on your descriptions, maybe you should continue to be concerned. For my taste I couldn't imagine "replacing" a good copy of the DA16-45 with a Sigma 17-70. I had the DA17-70 instead and I liked it, but I eventually decided I needed to spit up my range into the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 if IQ really mattered to me (and it does). The DA*16-50 is by no means perfect, but it's pretty good for a zoom, and I like it. In your situation I'd be eying buying a used DA*50-135 (which I did myself) to add to the DA16-45 - not replace it with a Sigma 17-70. Of course I realize the DA* (even used) is more expensive!

Last edited by DSims; 12-06-2014 at 05:05 PM.
12-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice regarding the wider zooms. My higher quality intermediate range work (i.e. situations where weight isn't a concern) goes to the manual focus 35-105 - which is very good in the 60 to 105 range. I use an 85 Samyang if I need speed. I think the 50-135 is a very fine option, as well as the 60-250 if I had the funds. I'd be hesitant about the 50-135 used because of the SDM concerns, but I suppose that factor helps discount the value in the first place.

---------- Post added 12-07-2014 at 11:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I get better results with Capture One too. Frankly, I do most my of work under just two tabs - the one that starts with exposure and the one that has the white balance at the top. I usually start with auto adjust, and then just go down the line with the controls (more or less in order) until the photo looks pretty good. After practicing this routine on a good number of photos I became pretty comfortable with it, so that most photos take a few minutes to adjust to my liking. But honestly, I'm usually not trying to get a specific "look," I'm just trying to get each photo to about 80% of the best it could be in a reasonable amount of time.
I haven't used auto adjust much - I found it a bit punchy and bright. I might need to play with it some more. I agree that those two tabs are most important, but C1 v8 has done a great deal to improve its noise reduction, and local adjustments are also very good (especially gradient). What makes it so much faster than LR for me, though, is using color picker in the advanced color editor - great feature.

12-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd be hesitant about the 50-135 used because of the SDM concerns, but I suppose that factor helps discount the value in the first place.
The DA*50-135 is too good to spend time worrying about potential SDM failures "someday in the future." I know it may happen to me someday, but so far it's been good. In any case, there's nothing that replaces it in terms of IQ in that range, so there's not really much to think about, if you ask me. If you need an AF lens with its IQ in that range, you just get it. The only significant flaw the lens has is the AF isn't fast enough for some sports, including what I do - mostly running - but it's fine for just about anything else. And when I look at the images it took, I never end up thinking "gee, if only I'd used a prime!" The thought doesn't cross my mind - they're just good images.

I haven't used auto adjust much - I found it a bit punchy and bright. I might need to play with it some more.
The auto adjust isn't that great, but it's a good starting point. Often, after playing around with exposure a few seconds, I end up bringing it right back to about the point auto adjust picked. I generally turn down its contrast and saturation boost a little bit - typically to about half of what it adds. But it gives me a good starting point for exposure, highlights, and shadows - better than starting at zero!

Last edited by DSims; 12-08-2014 at 11:09 AM.