Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

firmware for K-3 Prestige?

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Prestige version, but I'm wondering if it has a different firmware than the normal K-3 or the PSE version. I found the latest firmware 1.11 on the Ricoh Japan website, but it lists only K-3 and PSE versions with no mention of Prestige. They don't seem to acknowledge the Prestige version at all, there is no selection for it on the support site.

I recall reading the press release for the Prestige which mentioned that it came with a special or new firmware compared to K-3... perhaps they were just saying it was a newer version than K-3 currently had and it was preinstalled...

Anyone have a Prestige care to comment on firmware versions? Does it take the same firmware as a normal or PSE version?

12-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Unregistered User

All versions of the K-3 is the same under the hood. Only cosmetics differs, i.e same firmware for all.
12-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Prestige version, but I'm wondering if it has a different firmware than the normal K-3 or the PSE version. I found the latest firmware 1.11 on the Ricoh Japan website, but it lists only K-3 and PSE versions with no mention of Prestige. They don't seem to acknowledge the Prestige version at all, there is no selection for it on the support site.

I recall reading the press release for the Prestige which mentioned that it came with a special or new firmware compared to K-3... perhaps they were just saying it was a newer version than K-3 currently had and it was preinstalled...

Anyone have a Prestige care to comment on firmware versions? Does it take the same firmware as a normal or PSE version?
Yup, as Tjompen said, it's the same firmware as the normal K-3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I have the Prestige edition and I am sure the software is the same for all models. It's just that the Gun Metal finish is so cool, one would like to think it was special on the inside too.

12-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

my prestige has 1.11 in it. if that puts you at ease.

i imagine they were all produced at the same time so they should all have it.
12-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax K-3 DSLR Body Prestige Edition with D-BG5 Grip
12-12-2014, 03:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
B&H currently has a better deal at 1069. I decided to go with the normal black K-3 for 797. Ended up adding the AF540FGZ flash for an additional 50, so I got the whole package for under 850.

12-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The one I posted is in Canadian...
12-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My mistake, did not notice that. I couldn't even guess the USD/CAD exchange rate without Google... (I don't live in NA).