Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I'm actually not buying it for the increased resolution, but for the features missing on my K-5, such as more accurate and decisive AF, improved white balance and metering, focus peaking, etc. I'd be perfectly happy if it had the same 16MP sensor of the K-5 IIs or perhaps a 20MP filterless sensor that performed like the 16MP Sony sensor.
I borrowed a K-3 for only half a day, but shooting it side-by-side with my K-5 IIs, and through casual observation, I think it produces richer looking images. That's the one thing that keeps sticking in my mind as a reason I might want to upgrade, although I'm starting to really see the need to upgrade my AF speed a little as well.

12-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I borrowed a K-3 for only half a day, but shooting it side-by-side with my K-5 IIs, and through casual observation, I think it produces richer looking images. That's the one thing that keeps sticking in my mind as a reason I might want to upgrade, although I'm starting to really see the need to upgrade my AF speed a little as well.
I mainly shoot nature, scenics and some architecture, so speed isn't much of an issue for me, but accuracy is. I find the K-5 AF points to be too large as well, something I've read is improved in the K-3. This should help it to lock onto the right subject where the K-5 might not. I've actually noticed this is a bit of a challenge as I got better and faster lenses with thinner DOF. Sometimes my K-5 will just not lock onto the right part of the subject, even though I only use the most sensitive center AF point using the focus and recompose method. I quickly got used to using quick shift manual override.
12-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I mainly shoot nature, scenics and some architecture, so speed isn't much of an issue for me, but accuracy is.
This being the case, you definitely want to go for the K-3 and a *300. My K-5 IIs is already a worthwhile AF improvement over my K-5 - but the K-3 is even better (especially in the ways you need improvement, I believe).

For the WA you should still consider the DA15, as it's strong where the DA*16-50 is usually the weakest. It's an excellent complement to the DA* zoom. But you might find a Q7 or later with the 08 lens better fits your needs - consider it too.

Last edited by DSims; 12-08-2014 at 01:48 PM.
12-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have noticed a difference with my Sigma 17-70. I haven't had time to do much testing of anything else. I just may tick off my wife and retire . Then I will have more time to play with my cameras.

12-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just ordered my K-3, and got an awesome deal from B&H. Body, free grip and the AF 540 FGZ flash for $847! There was a special offer for the flash at checkout for only $50, I just could not pass that up. I have the AF 360 FGZ and have been wanting the 540 for a while now.

I decided to go with the normal black K-3 rather than the Prestige... after seeing a few shots of the Prestige with various lenses mounted. At first I really liked the look of the gunmetal body, but with lenses mounted, it just didn't look as good as a normal black body, imho.