Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #1

Too many bells & whistles?

First- the only camera's I've ever owned are the K1000 & then the K-x. So, I'm a Pentaxian. Also, not meaning for this thread to be a rant & rave (even though I do lose it sometimes).

Just sharing frustrations and hoping for some enlightenment.

The K3 is giving me fits. Only had it a week but so far I'm not happy with anything I've shot.

I've turned off every NR as a result. Will try shots tonight and tomorrow and see what happens. But with it on, it seems to produce pics not as good as I can get with my K-x.

The AF is absolutely frustrating. Even with a subject centered, and only a few feet away, the stupid red dot hits everything behind the subject!!! I've tried every setting except face detection so far and I hate the AF! Maybe the WB is throwing it off? Wish I could turn that off too. Its why I use color cards for heavens sakes! But I digress, I know I could do everything manual but then why have this camera?

I shoot a lot of sports & I'm having nightmares dreaming of trying to use this K3 at the next event.

I'm actually surprised by the nice looking film however... except when the action gets too fast (IMO its due to the SR & AF that makes the footage stutter or go slowmo). And yes, I know how to anticipate and start panning before I need to pan, gently, on a tripod.

This camera thinks too much & wants to do too much. I just want the data. Leave it to me, in post, to make it look good.

Honestly, if I could, I'd send it back and keep all the new glass for my K-x (which I've been able to make money off of & thumb my nose with at my snobby Canon & Nikon friends).

Sorry about some of the rants. Just needed to blow off some steam. Thanks.

12-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The AF is absolutely frustrating. Even with a subject centered, and only a few feet away, the stupid red dot hits everything behind the subject!!!
It is just learning photography, have a look at the manual for choosing the AF points yourself, that way you have control on what portion of the scene is in focus
There does seem to be a lot of settings though.
Actually it may be good if one of the sports shooters can explain/go through the settings on page 44 of the manual, eg. what settings do they use for what different situations.

The ebook http://www.ebooks4cameras.com/

Last edited by beachgardener; 12-11-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add info.
12-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Regarding the AF issue, maybe a back focus issue? I think the consensus is that the K-3 is a great camera, so unless you got a dud, I'm sure it's just a matter of dialing it in. More knowledgeable folks will post on this thread, and they'll give good input. I also think it would be helpful to post up a couple of images that are pissing you off, and indicate what's not working in them. That will give folks something to work with.
12-11-2014, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I would recommend switching the camera to use the center focus point only, and learn to use the focus and recompose technique. At least until you thoroughly understand how the camera's AF system works and responds.

I use focus and recompose exclusively on my K-5. I want to decide the focal point and not let the camera guess what I want to be in focus.

12-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Surely you knew of all the 'bells'n'whistles' before buying into a flagship body?

But as others have said, single point AF is best. Lock and recompose.
I also use spot metering in the same way.
12-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
...and only a few feet away...
Are you too close? All lenses have different minimum focusing distances.

...IMO its due to the SR & AF that makes the footage stutter or go slowmo). And yes, I know how to anticipate and start panning before I need to pan, gently, on a tripod...
SR should be off if you are panning and should also be off if you are using a tripod.
12-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
SR should be off if you are panning and should also be off if you are using a tripod.
Agree +1
Should ideally be off all the time until you need it.

12-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry about some of the rants. Just needed to blow off some steam. Thanks.
Hey, that's what we are here for............

I get your frustration but I think it is just learning curve. I used a k-x (great little camera) a k-5, k-5IIs and now the k-3. And I can honestly say the k-3 is by far the best. However, it is a "pro" level camera not a point & shoot. If you want to get the most out of it you have to learn how to use it. Don't assume that because you know how to use the k-x that you know how to use the k-3. You don't provide much information and a long rant like you posted really does not give anyone much info to help you with. And if all you wanted to do was blow off steam, hey that's fine.

But if you want help, pick one thing and ask about it. You do not mention what mode you are using, whether jpeg or RAW or what focusing mode you have set.

Take AF for example, by far the most complicated AF system Pentax has ever put out, with lots of options in the menu and several different modes. Have you read the manual on how that works so you can pick which settings are best for you?
The k-3 is a superb camera and I know it can deliver top notch images if you learn how to make the most of it.
12-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A week? I've had my K-3 for almost 2 months and I'm just starting to get comfortable with it. As stated by
others above, it's a pro-level camera, not a preconfigured point & shoot. It will take time to understand
and master, at which point it should handily out perform your K-X.

Have you read this?:
Review: Pentax K-3 - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Particularly this?:
Review: Pentax K-3 - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
12-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Going from a K-x (which I had) to a K-3 (which I do not have) is a BIG step IMHO. Remember the K-x did not have focus indicators in the viewfinder and so these issues were not really apparent even if they were happening. One recommendation is to go to Center Only, get out a focus card or ruler, and shoot a few to see if you need back or front focus adjustment for your primary lens setup. Good luck.
12-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I would recommend switching the camera to use the center focus point only, and learn to use the focus and recompose technique. At least until you thoroughly understand how the camera's AF system works and responds.

I use focus and recompose exclusively on my K-5. I want to decide the focal point and not let the camera guess what I want to be in focus.

Or learn to use the selectable AF points. 27 of them is a LOT, and can be very powerful. I leave the selection controls up on the D-pad and I don't even have to look to select the focus point with my finders; it shows in the OVF.

I agree with jatrax -- tell us a little more about what your settings are and what exactly is going wrong.
12-11-2014, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #12

Sounds like something in your camera settings has been altered...suggest you consider going to your menu tool bar, page 3, reset to default settings and menu custom bar, page 4, reset custom functions. This will hopefully put you back to square one and get you to producing worthwhile shots. The K3 is outstanding and it will prove its worth once you get this bug(s) figured out.
12-11-2014, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Im having the same problems and frustrations , but for a complete set of different reasons.
Took like a duck to water on both the K30 and the brief ownership of a K5II.
Not this one......Remorse.
I hope this frustration will soon end and things will come together.
There is some setting that I cannot figure out ? Sometimes Im simply amazed and shocked at the sharpness and detail......and then others are noisy and blurry with nothing very good at all.
Somehow I think the parameters for Auto ISO are activating some applied IQ that I have NO control over ????
I dropped the auto ISO to 100-400 and use the Low setting and start seeing a huge improvement ?
Then I go back and set the auto ISO to 100-800 and use the High setting and there is obvious noise and nothing is tack sharp ??
Im almost positive for me that the camera is applying some form of very potent noise reduction that is affecting sharpness and I just cant figure out exactly what to do as I dont know what is going on ??
But WOW....when it does come together.
Oh......and Ive only had mine for 5 days that Ive been playing with it......so nothing I say really means a hill of bat guano anyway......just mumbling , musing , and muttering things....lol

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-11-2014 at 10:27 PM.
12-11-2014, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Another thing to be aware of with the K-3 AF is to make sure you aren't randomly moving the AF point or AF group around.

Sometimes in AF-C mode, for example, I want to just use the 9 centre cluster of AF points (A-9 in the viewfinder), but when I initially select that option, the camera gives me the option to move that 9 point cluster around, rather than set it centred to start with. Often I've started focusing with that A-9 cluster all the way to the right or left hand side of the viewfinder, before I notice what is going on, and then reset it to the centre of the frame with the OK button, and turn off the 'select area' feature of that mode via the button at the bottom right of the camera.

td; dr - there are a lot of powerful options with the K-3 AF. More room to make mistakes even for experienced users, unfortunately.
12-12-2014, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Another thing to be aware of with the K-3 AF is to make sure you aren't randomly moving the AF point or AF group around.
This is a very good point. My only beef with my K-3 is that configuration can be unintentionally changed during normal shooting. The "Change AF Point" button falls directly under the base of my thumb with the result that an inadvertent change of AF point/group location is possible by using the e-dial after accidentally toggling the mode. That is why I generally leave the AF in either 27-point auto or single point (spot) center.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-12-2014 at 07:07 AM.