Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #1

FluCard with the K3?

Anyone owning a K3 use this wireless 16GB FluCard? If so, work well, thoughts? With a tablet, ipad etc...? Thanks, Ron

12-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It came as a packaged deal with my K-3. I've played with it some. It seems to work as advertised. It's not the fastest SD card. My SanDisk Extreme Plus cards are a lot faster. It really doesn't fit my shooting style at this time.
12-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have it and it works as advertised. I have identified many use cases where it will come in handy, but as of yet I have little to crow about. I should note that you probably don't want to save large JPEGs to the FluCard as it just slows down the FluCard previews. Thus, when using the FluCard I use RAW + JPEG medium and thus I don't notice any write slowness compared to fast SD cards.

YMMV

Michael
12-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I just got it yesterday. For me its really good. Can control and view through both the android phone and a 10" tablet. The downloading RAW+ files is slow but works ok for JPG.
I heard alot of negatives about it.....but I love it !
Oh....mine lost signal from the card a couple times , but I think it was another wireless causing it in my home. I plan on using it where there is no interference in the field so should be just fine from about 25' and closer.
DONT use the Flu website....its not for this card.

12-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
FluCard follow up + K5 compatible?

I was thinking I had a commercial still life job comong up that it might be useful as a "faux" tether situation. The previews come up in the browser, the actual files go to what, a pre-determined folder? Them I would chunk import into lightroom. Having said all that, I have a K5lls. I saw somewhere a mention of it working with other P bodies...true?

Ron
12-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Using a Laptop you can use some of the FluCard programs from the Flucard website for instant upload to the PC etc.

There are more threads here on K-3 forum about the Flucard. Search and read them...

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 08:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ronuser Quote
I was thinking I had a commercial still life job comong up that it might be useful as a "faux" tether situation. The previews come up in the browser, the actual files go to what, a pre-determined folder? Them I would chunk import into lightroom. Having said all that, I have a K5lls. I saw somewhere a mention of it working with other P bodies...true?

Ron
You can use the card on other cameras, not only Pentax. I have used it on my Sony RX100 but then it works as any WiFi card, not as a tether.

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 08:51 PM ----------

After using the card a couple of times I find it to have a little to much lag when in vertical position, it reacts slowly on orders, it is a little buggy in the phone browser, I have a Sony Xperia V.

With the computer it works much better.

I like the card and keep it in slot 2 all the time but turned off.
12-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ronuser Quote
Ron
For a tether to a body other than the K3...NO ! For using just to download ...yes.....But then you can buy a much cheaper card for that alone.
03-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
OK, I bought the 32gig Toshiba WiFi card. Not bad, not bad. The app was pretty strong on my android tablet, which I had hoped for. Not so great on my iphone 4s. Little preview, or big preview with options to download, or send. Relatively happy with it. I would recommend.

03-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #9

Ron, out of curiosity, did you order the new W-03 Flashair card, or is it the older W-02? The FCC ID on the back of the W-03 should read "ZVZP42350FA3". I don't use the tethering portion of the O-FC1 and am wondering if it's worth getting the W-03 for the 32GB of storage.
03-31-2015, 10:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
A2 at the very end so I assume that means W-02. It also has 32gb of storage. I paid $32 at B&H and pretty happy. Just bought it to show a bigger preview to a client/s if need be, but it does download nicely to the android tablet and I get options to send/share it places.
03-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Flucard works fine with my tablet and my cellphone.
03-31-2015, 09:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got one as a package deal with my K3, but cannot come up with one scenario where using it would come in handy. Any suggestions on things you use them for?
04-21-2015, 06:45 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
I have had a Toshiba wireless card tested on my K-3, unfortunately, it kept on saying "no flucard loaded" kind of a thing. Surprised to see that you have the Toshiba and have no problem.
04-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have tried using the Flucard and iPad as a remote trigger for some images... however, it's limited range makes it largely ineffective for that purpose. It does what it says it does. I just can't find a use for it. I thought it would be good for displaying picture on my iPad, it sucks at that. My idea was when out on thrips to be able to review the day's images. To do that efficiently I need to be able to load selected images onto the iPad, and show them with the camera turned off. Since I'm often up to 12 days without power, browsing through the camera's memory card using the camera as a web server is just a really bad implementation.

But it's cool setting it up as remote and mucking about. I've just never done anything useful with it, besides play.
04-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I use it almost exclusively for remote control. For me, it's rather ideal for "truly ground-based" close-up photography. I can stand up at ease (using a smart phone) and move around focus points, change aperure/exposure time etc. without having to kneel behind the camera. In such situations this type of remote control is superior to any flip-screen..

As others have said, it delivers what it promises (and no more).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo